Exploding Gravy: Poems to Make You Laugh by…

Exploding Gravy: Poems to Make You Laugh

by X. J. Kennedy, Joy Allen (Illustrator)

Do you love to laugh? Love to make your stomach hurt from laughing so hard? Well this poetry book is the book for you! These poems are grouped by themes such as, folklore, families, animals, monsters, etc. All of these poems are humorous and can definitely make you laugh out loud. This book is filled with funny, weird and some boring poems. I really enjoyed this poetry book because I often find myself telling jokes and laughing at them. I am always wanting to make someones day. My favorite poem from this book would have to be "Invisible Cat" because it is about a snow leopard that coughs so hard his spots came off and when it snows don't look for him because he won't be showing. I just thought that it was hilarious, but yet I think everything is hilarious. I will definitely have to add this to my children book collection. Fantastic book!! ( )
  CKISSINGER | Apr 24, 2017 |
Poems by Kennedy categorized as 1)Families, 2) monsters, 3) eats, 4) Dinosaurs, 5) Birds, 6) peculiar (character), 7) ever hear tell of, 9) unlikely doings. Exploding Gravy has poems for almost all occasions. Its interesting and fun to read for kids, this set of poems I would recommend for fourth and fifth graders. The protagonist of this story is the title whether it be Dad, Medusa, or King Tut. It contains a lot of poems enough for a whole semester if one read daily. ( )
  sabdelaz | Jan 26, 2014 |
Z's enjoyed X.J. Kennedy's poetry as part of broader anthologies. He picked this up at the library yesterday because he was looking for some poems to cheer him up. Funny in spurts, good wordplay, but a little too Shel Silverstein for the boy's taste.

As for me, reading a poem about a sea horse that meets a saw horse aloud is just torture for this New England mama who's tried to lose the accent. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
Very funny poems for kids. I would read this to maybe 4/5 graders. I thought the poems did a good job connecting with the mindset of children. ( )
  TamaraSmith | Feb 7, 2013 |
This book is supposed to be humorous and entertaining, but my kids and I disagree with that. The poems were hard to understand. There were only a few poems in the book that were slightly entertaining. One could use this book for introduction to poetry but there are far better books to do that with ( )
1 vote KatherineLo | Jun 27, 2012 |

X. J. Kennedyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Allen, JoyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Do you like to laugh... to smile? Do you like poetry? If you like one, two or all of the above, this is the book for you. Inside these covers you'll find the best funny poems of X. J. Kennedy, a poet who knows what tickles us, all combined in a collection that pleases the ear and delights the mind. In Exploding Gravy you will meet an absolutely terrible baby-sitter, a vain witch, be told who to pet and who not to, be introduced to several dinosaurs, told some mixed up tales and yes, find out all about that exploding gravy - and that's just for starters.

To accompany these wonderful poems illustrator, Joy Allen has created striking and amusing drawings. They give another whole delicious dimension to the work. When Allen's drawings are added to X. J. Kennedy's poems they combine to create a wonderful recipe for fun. Bet you anything you'll be asking for seconds of Exploding Gravy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:02 -0400)

The best funny poems of X.J. Kennedy all combined in a collection that pleases the ear and delights the mind.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible