Up in the Attic and Other Stories by Amanda…

Up in the Attic and Other Stories

by Amanda Lawrence Auverigne

I received the book from the Member Giveaways.

Unfortunately, reading it was a bit like pulling teeth. The author probably had some good ideas but they disappeared under bad writing and bad editing. The characters were basically all the same, the dialogues went on forever and did not introduce anything important to the plot, the sentences were too short, the text was put into paragraphs almost randomly, the characters referred to in a strange way... The list could go on and on.

All in all, a very disappointing book. ( )
  Kaczencja | Aug 18, 2012 |
I received a free copy of this e-book in exchange for reading and reviewing it.

I really wanted to like “Up in the Attic”. The stories promised to be interesting, with a holiday theme perfect for the time of the year. However, there were some serious flaws in this book that made it a difficult, and ultimately, not very memorable read.

The book contains seven stories, all with a somewhat dark element, not quite reaching horror. Two of the seven, “Crunch” and “Meeting with the Fam” had good potential. A third, “The Holiday Lift” ended just when the story got interesting. The others were completely forgettable.

This book needed some serious editing. The overall style was full of short, choppy sentences which destroyed any hope of a smooth flow of any of the stories. The author uses some unusual phrases and descriptions which were distracting and got annoying after a while. For example, no one ever “sits down”. Every character “lowers their form” into whatever seat.

Additionally, characters sometimes change names in the middle of the story, and then change back again, leaving the reader very confused until they manage to figure it out. Describing a character as “the middle-aged man” works fine the first time … the reader gets a picture of the character in mind. When the same description is used to refer to the character in each of the next few paragraphs, it becomes quite irritating and spoils the story.

I was very disappointed with this collection, as I had expected something more ready for publication, especially considering Ms. Auverigne has several other collections/stories available. It is unlikely I will be trying any of the others, which is a pity, because she has some good ideas in this collection, which unfortunately were never truly realized.
  sangreal | Jan 9, 2012 |
I swear I already reviewed this book but here it goes again.

I had a hard time reading this book due to the choppy and overly descriptive writing. The ideas of these stories were OK but it took a while to get to the actual story due to the descriptions of everything! I felt like I was reading a scene designer's notes rather than a tale. I really wanted to enjoy this book, especially being a member giveaway, but I just had a hard time reading it. Read about 65% of this book. ( )
  llyramoon | Jan 2, 2012 |
This is not what I would consider a horror collection. Not that I have any issues with other genres. However, the writing for the stories felt very adolescent and mechanical. The words chosen felt very repetitive, lacking and dry. There was a over-usage of mindless banter between characters that never meant anything except a seemingly longer word count.

I had to take breaks in between reading the individual stories as they all felt very much the same - this was probably due to the same words being over-used (IE- the word "form" is used excessively to describe someones "body").

The author has interesting ideas but the execution needs a lot of work. I would recommend to focus more on character development that trying to intricately describe every single detail regardless of plot requirement.

I give it 2.5 stars because the plots for a couple stories were relatively well done..although not without many flaws. ( )
  Spiceca | Jan 2, 2012 |
Disclaimer: I received this book free in exchange for reviewing it. This review contains my honest opinion about the book.

I thought it was an interesting read, especially at Christmas time. The short stories all have a Christmas theme. They aren't exactly horror or ghost stories, but they were a little on the creepy side. Some seemed to end too soon. If you like the genre, it's a good, quick read. I like the genre and I liked the stories, some more than others.

Two of the stories really stick out in my mind. The Gingerbread Massacre is one. Find out what happens when a department store has a somewhat hostile takeover and changes the baker that does the annual gingerbread Christmas display. It's a fun, but macabre story. The other I really liked was The Holiday Lift. I actually found this story to be quite a warm story, but it had a heck of a twist at the end that left me wanting to hear more of the story.

This is a good book for those who like short, macabre stories. It doesn't need to be read just at Christmas. It's a good read any time. ( )
  seashellmoore | Dec 26, 2011 |
Sally Mason grabbed Abigail's small hand as they walked across the snow-filled parking lot.

Amanda Lawrence Auverigne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible