Hardly beach weather by Bernard Cohen

Hardly beach weather

by Bernard Cohen

411,664,912 (3)None

Jack drives his ex-girlfriend Maria 1400 kilometres from Sydney to Adelaide in a small car. She is going to meet up with her new boyfriend; Jack offers a lift because their former relationship is now improperly defined.

Hardly Beach Weather is a road novel of unremitting Australian-ness - the sheep in the tuckerbag; a lone woman watching for snakes in the bush; rural mistrust of city slickers.

A good concept, well written and well executed - but somehow I could not warm to either Jack or Maria. In fact, they irritated me almost as much (but not quite) as Peter Carey's Oscar and Lucinda. I just wanted to give them both a good shake and tell them to get over it! ( )
  Jawin | Dec 30, 2006 |

A road novel of unremitting Australianness: the sheep in the tuckerbag, a lone woman watching for snakes, mutual misinterpretations of city and bush. Along the way, Jack and Maria are assaulted by stories of love and heartbreak told by strangers in every country town.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:26:19 -0400)

"The Duchess Who Wouldn't Sit Down is dedicated to a new understanding of the traditions and history of hospitality. Jesse Browner leads the way back through Western Civilization, from a present-day poker game, where a cunning chef disarms his rivals with perfect sandwiches, to the ancient Greeks, whose gods punished or exalted the mortals according to their excellence as hosts. Along the way, we visit the summer home of Adolf Hitler, a staunch vegetarian who liked to lecture his guests on the horrors of the slaughterhouse. We meet Lady Ottoline Morrell, the hapless heiress who opened her home to Britain's greatest writers, only to be publicly lampooned in their novels. We catch John James Audubon in the act of playing a cruel prank on a defenseless guest. We explore the gilded cage of Louis XIV's Versailles, where an ambitious duchess preferred to destroy all her social prospects than sit on a folding stool. And we try to survive supper with the Roman emperors, for whom classic dinner-table entertainment was a good poisoning."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,773,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible