Nicholas Cricket by Joyce Maxner

Nicholas Cricket

by Joyce Maxner

1202100,400 (3.57)None

I used this for my bug-themed 2nd and 3rd grade program. I believe this was the book that inspired one of the girls to say "This is soooo boooring," but since she said that through almost the entire program, I'm not convinced it's a reflection on the book. A quiet, rythmic text tells of one evening when Nicholas Cricket plays his banjo with the Bug-a-Wug Cricket Band. There isn't much plot; this is moore of a mood piece that would be nice for nighttime reading. Each page has a double-square bordered box that holds either an illustration or the text. The illustrations, by William Joyce, are lovely and done in muted colors that evoke the twilight setting of the story. Overall, I'd call it quietly charming. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book reminds me of that Whoopi Goldberg READ poster where she's holding this one - that's why I bought it. My kids were too little when I read it to them. I'm going to have to give it another try one of these days. ( )
  paroof | Jul 15, 2008 |
In memory of Perry and Wendy, tiny daughters upon whom I often muse --J.M.
To Marlin and Mary Lane Risinger -members of that happy breed who understand the fun of a moonlight promenade --W.J.
Nicholas Cricket plays every night in that Bug-a-Wug Cricket Band.

Nicholas Cricket and the other members of the Bug-a-Wug Cricket Band lead all the forest creatures in a musical celebration of the night.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,756,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible