The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

The Lifeboat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Charlotte Rogan

901909,793 (3.48)80
Member:OneMorePage
Title:The Lifeboat
Authors:Charlotte Rogan
Info:Little, Brown Young Readers (2012), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Fiction
Tags:Shipwreck, Read 2012

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan (2012)

English (87)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (89)
I'll be watching for more books by this author! ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
After listening to an interview with the author on BBC Radio 2, I thought that I would buy the book and give it a read. The subject matter is not my usual genre, but the behavior of people in unusual or difficult circumstances is always interesting.

The premise of the novel is fairly straightforward. Two years after the Titanic sank the Empress Alexandra goes down in calm seas after catching fire. 38 people are in a lifeboat that is too small though it should have fitted them comfortably. Lifeboat 14 sits in the water up to her gunnels. There are few provisions and little water on board as the row clear of the wreckage. What they do not know is that it will be three weeks before they are rescued.

Charlotte Rogan has a first novel to be envied. She has a gentle, flowing style which drifts along like the lifeboat itself. Always going somewhere, but you never know what will be thrown up at you next. So many emotions and feelings are suppressed then vented in sudden, violent squalls that you are left breathless.

The story is told in recollection by the main character, Grace Winter, as she writes down all that she remember as she stands trial for her life. I am not one to spoil a story in a review, and that I will not change. But, as the story is told in first person you know from the start that our lady must survive - the question is how?

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is eloquent but never flowery. Words are not wasted to meet a publisher’s word count, neither are they clever. The story is told at the level of the main character’s intellect, no mean feet when the author is quite clearly smarter than most, if not all of the people in the boat.

A class act in story telling a definite 4 star contender.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |

A class act in story telling a definite 4 star contender.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |

A class act in story telling a definite 4 star General.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
A well-written first novel. An ocean liner sinks mid-Atlantic, forcing 40 people into an inadequate lifeboat. The boat is adrift for 21 days. Not all survive, and during the time a crime is committed. But is it really a crime given the circumstances? The experience aboard the lifeboat turns a life comfortable with simple blacks and whites into one filled with grays. . .

A very thoughtful page-turner. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
Rogan writes viscerally about the desperate condition of the castaway, of what it is like to be “surrounded on four sides by walls of black water” or to be so thirsty your tongue swells to the size of “a dried and hairless mouse.” But it’s her portrait of Grace, who is by turns astute, conniving, comic and affecting, that drives the book.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, SARAH TOWERS (May 4, 2012)

I shall sing of the flood to all people. Listen!

—The myth of Atrahasis, last lines
For Kevin
And for Olivia, Stephanie, and Nick
With love
Today I shocked the lawyers, and it surprised me, the effect I could have on them.

Grace Winter, twenty-two, is both a newlywed and a widow.
She is also on trial for her life.

In the summer of 1914, Grace elopes with Henry Winter in London, hoping to escape the disapproval of his wealthy family. When the elegant ocean liner carrying them home to America suffers a mysterious explosion, Henry sacrifices his own safety and secures Grace a seat in a lifeboat, which its occupants quickly realize is over capacity. For any to live, some must die.

Adrift on the Atlantic, the weather deteriorating and supplies dwindling, the castaways scheme and battle, caught up in a vicious power struggle between a ruthless but experienced sailor and an enigmatic matron with surprising powers of persuasion. Choosing a side will seal her fate, but Grace has made her way in the world by seizing every possible advantage. As she recollects the unorthodox way she and Henry met and considers the new life of privilege she thought she'd found, Grace must now decide — will she pay any price to keep it?

The Lifeboat is a masterful debut, a story of hard choices, ambition, and endurance, narrated by a woman as complex and unforgettable as the events she describes.

Grace Winter, 22, is both a newlywed and a widow. She is also on trial for her life.

In the summer of 1914, the elegant ocean liner carrying her and her husband Henry across the Atlantic suffers a mysterious explosion. Setting aside his own safety, Henry secures Grace a place in a lifeboat, which the survivors quickly realize is over capacity. For any to live, some must die.

As the castaways battle the elements, and each other, Grace recollects the unorthodox way she and Henry met, and the new life of privilege she thought she'd found. Will she pay any price to keep it?

The Lifeboat is a page-turning novel of hard choices and survival, narrated by a woman as unforgettable and complex as the events she describes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:51 -0400)

Forced into an overcrowded lifeboat after a mysterious explosion on their trans-Atlantic ocean liner, newly widowed Grace Winter battles the elements and her fellow survivors and remembers her husband, Henry, who set his own safety aside to ensure Grace's.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,436,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible