Leiyatel's Embrace by Clive S. Johnson

Leiyatel's Embrace

by Clive S. Johnson

142683,257 (4)None
dnf (1) ebook (2) fan (1) fantasy (1) fiction (1) freebie (1) K (1) Kindle (2) science fiction (1) to-read (3) untagged (1)

I eased into this novel by Clive Johnson with a bit of trepidation, not at all sure I'd like his style of writing, at first finding the flow of his unique prose a tad challenging to my simple minded self. At the end of the first chapter he had me drawn in with a 'what in the hell just happened?' closing scene. Still, however, I wasn't sure I could stay engaged with the poetic cadence.

Then he opened chapter 2 with this:

"Still and cold and dark, not a mote of light could be found to alleviate the eternal depth of the blackness, nor the buzz of gossamer wings nor the scrape of sharp clawed feet to scratch at the dead silence that lay so still within. Time itself seemed frozen and, with it, all knowing of life, or thought, or hope."

Off we then charged on a fantasy adventure in a castle that appeared to encompass an entire mountain or an entire land, full of people who not only don't do war but have, over the centuries, forgotten what war was. With his words, Clive Johnson painted an ancient yet futuristic setting evoking a flavor of J.R.R. Tolkien while weaving in Henry David Thoreau's lyrical prose.

I must say that Johnson's style is not for everyone, though maybe it should be. In a time full of unrest and chaos, or at the end of the daily grind, would it not be a relief to escape into a world of adventure at a lyrical cadence pace. In Lord Nephril's words, "By all that be precious, where am I, and who be holding me aloft?"

I highly recommend this for everyone to give a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.
  JamesPaddock | Dec 4, 2016 |
The realm of Dica, long protected by the Certain Power of the Living Green Stone Tree, Leiyatel, is now in a state of vast decline, currently neglected by the current King Namweed, gone mad with grief over the loss of his queen, when the realm's long-lived Master of Ceremonies, Nephril, and a local friend, Falmeard, bring him news of a host of armed men that have appeared outside of the castle walls. After Pettar rescues Nephril and Falmeard from the king's dungeon, the three head south to Galgaverre, a mysterious structure of priests, to meet with Pettar's sister and head Guardian, Lady Penolith, in hopes of discovering where this army has come from and the traitor who is about to provide them entrance into the mighty walls protecting Dica. This book is not a simple read as it has been crafted in a more elaborate style of Elizabethan prose flavored with Celtic spice and Jane Austen civility. The highly flourished and very descriptive pace in a maze of a landscape provides tough sledding through a plot that turns on a twist of perspective near its climax. For those who treasure high artistry in language will find worth in this tale if they have the patience. ( )
  kerryreis57 | Mar 27, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible