Merits and Mercenaries by A Lady

Merits and Mercenaries

by A Lady

While reading this story, I could not see some things that perhaps I missed, or just did not get. Our Heroine was older than her first season and living in London, so I should have imagined before going to the country, she would know the "TON" of London, yet it seems she does not, until she moves back to London.

She falls in love and the hero falls in love, and yet, neither of them do anything active to earn love. It had me develop the thought further that for us to love a hero, we want a hero to be a 'man', to do an action that is heroic to earn that affection. I don't think in Austen's Pride and Prejudice Lizzy truly loves Darcy until she reads the letter finding out that Darcy actually dealt with Wickham once before, and then when he deals with Wickham over the matter of Lydia, that seals the deal.

Charles Devon, not the hero of this piece we meet and the author describe him as an authoress telling us he is a dullard. Show vs. Tell may not be something that we always follow, but there were other characters we met this way that she also then showed us what she had already told us.

There are some other things, such as making many scenes in drawing rooms that are not described, taking away the tactile and visual surroundings. Not having an action during a dialogue enough.

I believe that the author plans a series of seven novels, trying to suggest that these are books written by Austen and somehow just rediscovered. The way they are written now, with too much tell, not enough action, and certainly poor character studies that we do not have any regard for the heroes that the author presents, I have no desire to read any further. ( )
  DWWilkin | Dec 2, 2012 |

‘Merits and Mercenaries’, is the first book of an original, Austen-inspired collection of novels, ‘The Bath Novels of Lady A—‘. 'TBNLA' are written by a lady who, as Jane Austen was once known, is called ‘Lady A—’, and 'Merits and Mercenaries' is the collection's first thoroughly dashing 'Classic Companion'. As M&M's ‘handsome’, but perplexed, pair of protagonists (coincidentally, a William and a Katherine!) proceed in pursuit of love and self-discovery, comedy and drama--across both town and country--ensue. This is due, in no small part, to some very troublesome and tantalizing villains who ably thwart the pair: the menacing Francis Pope and the devilishly divine Maria Beckett are the 'foxy' duo that provides the endless entertainment. And just as their antics are the ‘trick’ within this diverting love story, then the addition of a long-suppressed ‘secret’--stalking the story’s entire cast--rather whippingly adds the quite delicious treat!

'Merits and Mercenaries' must surely delight anyone desiring a refreshing interpretation of Jane Austen's classic style and sensibility. From its very 'witty' portrayal of the intriguing 'plots - lots' of its trusty and troublesome 'Janeite' gentry characters to its seamless set pieces, it is truly a most enchanting 'effusion' of English Regency fancy! [retrieved 11/14/2015 from Amazon.com]

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible