Tower: An Epic History of the Tower of…

Tower: An Epic History of the Tower of London

by Nigel Jones

English (4)  All (1)  All (5)
A thoroughly engaging, vividly detailed and richly layered epic history that is as much a history of England as it as about the infamous Tower of London. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

I enjoyed portions of this book (especially the history of the Tower menagerie and the chapter about great escapes from the Tower), but too much of it was given over to a chronological march through British history giving detailed general descriptions about each king or queen's reign but very little information actually directly related to the Tower. As a history buff, I'm already acquainted with the basic narrative of British history, and was frustrated to have to wade through basic history lessons to find the good tidbits and anecdotes about the Tower itself! ( )
  mrlzbth | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book tells you everything there is to know about the Tower of London. I found it somewhat uneven. There is an endless chronology of English nobility - none of them likeable. There are so many bad kings that it almost becomes depressing. The book can become dry at times but is periodically revived by an interesting prisoner or anecdote. The physical descriptions of the Tower and its changes throughout history are difficult to follow due to a lack of illustration. I used my ipad a lot to find various images on the net. ( )
  nemoman | Mar 13, 2013 |
This is an exhaustive history of the Tower of London. It starts at the beginning and tells how it developed, all the kings, queens, commonfolk that were imprisoned there, hung there, were beheaded and/or disemboweled there. Some royalty were actually treated like royalty and received a stipend to pay their attendants and servants. Unfortunately the commoners were not treated as well.

I made it through half of the book's 400 pages and just got exhausted with the continued treachery amongst the British royalty. One day someone is your ally and the next your foe who must be eliminated. People changed their points of view and allegiances as often as we (not they) change our underwear and each new opinion/allegiance was believed (which I find hard to believe) by the kings and queens. I also got confused with the names. There were so many Edwards and Henrys and Dukes of this or that with the same name.

If you're a history buff, then this is right up your ally. The only negative--you didn't really get a sense of what the Tower of London looked like, how much space it took up and how much effort it took to erect it. That you need an illustrated history for. You should read them side by side. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Oct 19, 2012 |

A dazzling history of the Tower of London, one of the world's busiest tourist attractions, and the people who populated it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,316,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible