The Queen's Lover: A Novel by Francine du…

The Queen's Lover: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Francine du Plessix Gray

Member:mefs
Title:The Queen's Lover: A Novel
Authors:Francine du Plessix Gray
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Fiction, Historical Fiction, French Historical Fiction, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:Amazon Vine Book

The Queen's Lover: A Novel by Francine du Plessix Gray

The story of a love affair between Marie Antoinette and Swedish aristocrat Axel von Fersen. The first half of the book is better than the second. During the second half, the reader is forced to read about the sordid details of the royal detention and deaths.

Serious Francophiles will enjoy the excerpts from the correspondence of the queen and Fersen. I found that and the descriptions of a filthy Versailles the best parts of the book. ( )
  susanamper | Sep 21, 2013 |
I am very well-versed in the history of the French Revolution and Marie Antoinette's story in particular, so I thought Francine du Plessix Gray's fictional take on Axel von Fersen's relationship with the doomed queen would be a fun and interesting read. Unfortunately, the book did not live up to my expectations. Despite being written largely from Fersen's perspective in diary form, du Plessix Gray doesn't add anything new to the familiar story of Marie Antoinette's final years. The author's romance-novel attempts to portray the couple's more intimate moments are awkward and fail to enhance the narrative (I think at this point everyone agrees that the Queen and her Count had a romantic affair, but the love scenes in "The Queen's Lover" are forced and cheesy - the author could have used a lighter touch to make those parts of the book less laughable). In between the clunky romance are long stretches of rehashed historical basics, retold in the first person. While the author has her facts in place, it doesn't seem that she took much initiative to add any interesting "fiction" to this piece of historical fiction. Other authors have done a more interesting job fictionalizing this already fascinating part of French history. Better yet, pick up a non-fiction account of Marie Antoinette's life (Antonia Fraser's "Marie Antoinette: A Journey" is incredible); the easily available collection of Fersen's letters also makes for wonderful reading). ( )
  mefs | Sep 24, 2012 |
I thought the concept of this novel was very intriguing, but I struggled to read it and kept thinking that the story could have been better told. For those who don't know, the Swedish count Axel von Fersen was an alleged lover of the tragic French Queen Marie Antoinette and not unlike the French Queen Axel suffered a tragic end. Fersen's life is certainly worthy of a novel, but I felt this one failed to live up to the task. First of all, the novel is told in the first person from Axel's point of view (with some chapters narrator by his sister Sophie), but I just couldn't imagine a man telling his story and using the kind of language employed in this novel. In addition, as a character Axel emerges as a kind of frivolous dandy and womanizer. He professes to love Marie Antoinette deeply, but also describes other concurrent affairs and mistresses. He also makes a number of political and diplomatic missteps which seem to reveal him as a vain and self-centered man. By the end of this novel, I didn't really care much for Axel von Fersen and I must admit I skimmed through his death scene (it didn't seem like that much of a tragedy). ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jul 18, 2012 |
Based on the actual papers and letters of Count Axel von Fersen, the Swedish diplomat with a romantic attachment to Marie Antoinette, this novel is written in the form of a memoir edited and supplemented by Fersen’s sister Sophie. Sophie’s few chapters allow author Francine Du Plessix Gray to convey information Fersen himself couldn’t or wouldn’t, his own death at the hands of an anti-aristocratic mob for instance, but most of the story is Fersen’s bittersweet memories many years after the events surrounding the French Revolution.

It was Fersen who arranged the French royal family’s daring but ultimately unsuccessful escape attempt when revolutionaries forcibly moved them to Paris. Before that he was a regular visitor to Versailles, Marie Antoinette’s opulent but foul-smelling palace home, and he spent happy hours lingering with the queen at her private retreat, La Petit Trianon. Fersen wasn’t in France when Louis XVI or Marie Antoinette were condemned to death and guillotined, those events while still gripping are written at a distance because he’s reporting what he learned rather than what he saw and did, but his outsider’s perspective has the advantage of being more pan-European and it’s fascinating to have a glimpse of how other counties and royal houses are reacting to the upheavals in France. Catherine the Great comes into play a few times, and there is a lot about the changing circumstances of the royal families in Sweden and Austria. The charged ideas and cultural transformations behind French Revolution continued to reverberate through Europe, its effects leading to Fersen’s vicious murder in his native Sweden almost twenty years later. ( )
  Jaylia3 | May 10, 2012 |
Okay, so, I admit it, when I saw the hero of this novel was Axel von Fersen, I immediately thought of so-dreamy-makes-lesbians-faint Jamie Dornan, who portrayed von Fersen in the 2006 Marie Antoinette. Nummy. Needless to say, that mental image helped make this novel especially awesome. But even if your mental image of Swedish courtiers isn't shaped around twenty-something Irish actors, I still think you're really going to dig this book.

Told in parts by von Fersen himself -- by way of his memoir, discovered by his beloved sister Sophie -- and Sophie, filling in the blanks, the story starts with von Fersen's introduction to Marie Antoinette. Despite the title, however, this novel isn't the story of a love affair, but rather, a kind of fictional autobiography by a man whose most notable distinction is that he was, once, Marie Antoinette's lover.

The end of the 18th century was a tumultuous time, and von Fersen participated in some of the most momentous events. Fighting in the American Revolution with French troops, witnessing the French Revolution firsthand, and later, the sweeping political change in Sweden, I was captivated by his life. (I had no idea that pretty face had such an interesting back story!)

I'm struggle with how to describe the writing style, the feel of the narrative; this is a very biographical novel that reads, almost, like a piece of non-fiction. However, that worked for me: it was easy to imagine this is how von Fersen would compose his autobiography -- very precise, attempting some distance and not always succeeding. The chapters are titled with the 'author' -- either von Fersen or Sophie -- and Sophie's tone is admiring and warm. If this sounds like a disjointed way to tell a story, I promise it fits together better than I'm articulating.

Like any good historical, I was sad -- heartbroken -- to finish this book, as the novel ends with von Fersen's death. While the jacket blurb describes this novel as a 'fresh vision of the French Revolution and the French royal family', I would actually argue that this is a fictional biography about an eyewitness to 18th century revolution. The French Revolution is a major part of the story -- and certainly shapes von Fersen -- but this book is far more about loss, love, and the reality of lofty philosophical ideals.

I can't rave about this book enough; I was taken by surprise with how much I enjoyed it and von Fersen.

(Also, if you, like me, are unfamiliar with Francine du Plessix Gray, this Paris Review article and interview provides a great introduction to a fascinating woman!) ( )
  unabridgedchick | Apr 27, 2012 |

"The Queen's Lover" reveals the untold love affair between Swedish aristocrat Count Axel von Fersen and Marie Antoinette.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,949,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible