Potboiler by Jesse Kellerman

Potboiler

by Jesse Kellerman

English (26)  French (1)  All languages (27)
Couldn't like any of the characters ( )
  DawnJanz | Aug 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mostly I enjoyed this tongue in cheek spy thriller. Its over the top absurdity was quite funny. I wasn't happy with the strange ending because it went a bit, ok a lot, far fetched but overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  cswolff9 | Apr 1, 2014 |
I am not so much the cloak and dagger spy reader. Sort of a slow start, like a watched pot waiting for the rolling boil, but once the action started, the story took off in a crazy, unbelievable direction. I like Jesse Kellerman a lot, and this novel, while quite different, remains readable due mainly to the excellent pacing and good dialogue that are the hallmarks of the other Jesse Kellerman books. ( )
  blockbuster1994 | Oct 14, 2013 |
This was a very disappointing novel. I guess I expected something well written that did not become satire. I was wrong. Arthur Pfefferkorn is a successful man wanna-be. He cannot write a bestseller though he wants to do just that. His best friend, however, is a bestselling author and married the girl Arthur wanted to marry. When his friend mysteriously disappears aboard a boat (no body found, however), Arthur passes one of his friend’s draft manuscripts off as his as well as taking up with his best friend’s widow. This sets off a crazy chain of events in strange countries, with Arthur in the middle of an assignation plot. Initially, the book reads smoothly and well, but it disintegrates quickly once Arthur steals his friend’s manuscript and wife. As I read the book, I wondered where exactly things were going, as the storyline just got crazier and crazier. The book satirizes bestseller novel writing but does it is a rough, unusual way, which leaves the reader trying to figure out exactly what is going on and how it all ties together (or if it does). I imagine the author wanted to prove something, but just what that was and whether he accomplished his goal is uncertain to me. I received this boo from goodreads. ( )
  KMT01 | Jul 19, 2013 |
Currently a DNF, will try again later. ( )
  FMRox | Apr 29, 2013 |
After one hundred twenty-one days, the search was called off.

Arthur Pfefferkorn, is a middle-aged college professor with long dead literary aspirations. When his oldest friend, successful thriller writer William de Vallee, is lost at sea, Pfefferkorn is torn between envy and grief, for de Vallee not only outshone Pfefferkorn professionally, but married the woman Pfefferkorn loved. He struggles with his failed ambitions while reflecting on his late friend's successes and marriage. He decides to take the best-selling author's latest manuscript and publish it as his own. Although the novel brings him great success, his life soon spirals into a series of betrayals and double-crosses torn straight from the pages of his plagiarized work. His decision to reconnect with de Vallee's widow sets in motion a surreal chain of events, plunging him into a shadowy realm of intrigue, a world where no one can be trusted, and nothing can be taken seriously.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jesse Kellerman's book Potboiler was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,591,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible