Icebound by Julie Rowe

Icebound

by Julie Rowe

113820,536 (4)None

This book was sooo alive it was like watching a movie.

Dr. Emilie Saunderson goes to Antarctica to finish the research her husband had been doing before his sudden death a year earlier. Still grieving over the loss of her husband she hopes that working in this frozen part of the world will help her accomplish this. But right off the bat stepping from the plane she gets lost in the blizzard and freezing cold and has to be rescued by Tom Wolinski, the Station manager who has a few of his own past demons he is battling.

From here we find out what life is like stationed in Antarctica. The author gives such great details that I truly felt like I was there. From the having the dress in millions of layers to extreme frostbite, to how easy it is to get lost in the snow just going outside with a team to try and fix a problem.

Right from the start Emilie and Tom have great chemistry though Emilie doesnt think she is ready to let her dead husband go and Tom only does one night stands.

I really loved this book.. I would have given it 5 stars if it would have had an epilogue. But dont let that deter you from reading this great story. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
NetGalley ARC
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
Fiction; Romance
4.5 stars

I really LOVED this book and thought it was a great way to kick off a new year of reading.

Dr. Emilie Saunderson arrives in Antartica as the new physician of the South Pole Station and also to finish a research project that her now deceased husband had started.

Tom Wolinski is the stations manager. This is his third year in Antartica. While strong and capable of running the operations of the station, as the Doctor and Tom become closer it quickly becomes apparent to Emilie that Tom is running away from some of his own demons here in the frozen tundra.

Emilie and Tom’s characters were very likable and their relationship seemed realistic under the circumstances. It was obvious right from the start that there was a mutual attraction and the author did a great job pulling the story along at a smooth pace.

The choice of setting was a huge bonus for this story. Isolated in an extremely cold climate made for an interesting backdrop to a hot love story. I loved the uniqueness of it and how the author brought various situations into the story that seemed plausible in that environment. I was sad when the story ended. I would have loved to read more about their lives.

This debut author has great potential and I look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

Highly recommended. ( )
  showmegirl | Feb 4, 2012 |

Dr. Emilie Saunderson is driven to finish her late husband's research. Her quest brings her to Antarctica, where she hopes to find a measure of peace in the isolated and icy wilderness. It's the last place on earth she expects to be given a second chance at love. om Wolinski loves his work at the bottom of the world. Damaged by his dark past, he has vowed never to get close to anyone-a promise that's easy to keep in a place with no permanent residents. That is, until Emilie arrives, and he's irresistibly drawn to her warmth and inner strength.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible