Hachiko Waits by Lesléa Newman

Hachiko Waits (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Lesléa Newman, Machiyo Kodaira (Illustrator)

Member:benuathanasia
Title:Hachiko Waits
Authors:Lesléa Newman
Other authors:Machiyo Kodaira (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Young Adult
Tags:young adult, fiction, nonfiction, historical fiction, history, animals, dogs, Japan, Japanese

Hachiko Waits by Lesléa Newman (2004)

Hachiko is an Akita dog owned by Professor Ueno who tells Hachiko that he is the best dog in Japan. Hachiko starts accompanying his master to the train station every morning and meeting him there every afternoon at three o’clock. One day, the professor does not arrive on the train at three o’clock. Hachiko waits. Every day for ten years Hachiko waits at the train station at three o’clock. A boy tries to take care of Hachiko, but Hachiko will not live with the boy or give up his daily vigil. This book written for middle grade readers is based on the true story of the loyal dog Hachiko who waited every day from 1925 until his death in 1935. The story of Hachiko has become a national legend about loyalty and faithfulness in Japan. There is a statue honoring his memory and his loyalty near the train station where he waited. The book features Japanese inspired black and white illustrations. It also includes a glossary of Japanese terms used in the book. This book allows American children to experience the story of Hachiko and be inspired by his devotion. However, as the story is sad sometimes, this may not work for children who are sensitive to character death in books. The book is best suited for kids between 8 and 11. ( )
  robincar | Dec 11, 2013 |
Cover to Cover October 2010 selection. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
"Hachiko Waits" is the true story of an Akita dog who accompanies his master to the train station every morning, and then comes back to meet him at the 3 o'clock train. But one day, Hachiko's master does not arrive as usual...and Hachiko waits...

Very nicely written book, with lovely illustrations and a sweet story to tell. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Jan 10, 2013 |
What a heart-wrenching story. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, I couldn't help crying when it did.
I wish the author had included the explanations of Japanese words as footnotes, rather than a glossary (would have helped with the flow), but I'm grateful that a glossary was included at all. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 31, 2012 |
One of the best books I have ever read. I read it well before the movie came out. In fact, I read it to my 3rd and 5th graders every year and cry the whole time. ( )
  leighanne85 | Sep 1, 2011 |
In memory of Angus McTavish (1968-1982) "What a good dog" - L.N.

To my parents, Osamu and Kazuyo Kodaira - M.K.
When Professor Eizaburo Ueno woke up, he liked to play a game with his golden-brown puppy, Hachi.

"Profoundly sad and hopeful at the same time . . . Hachiko Waits shows us the very best in life; loyalty, devotion, our ability to love-all taught by a beloved, intelligent, and heroic dog. I love it." -Patricia MacLachlan, Newbery Award-winning author of Sarah Plain and Tall

The loyalty and devotion of a dog has no bounds

What a good dog you are. What a fine dog you are. Hachi, you are the best dog in all of Japan." Professor Ueno speaks these words to his faithful dog before boarding the train to work every morning. And every afternoon just before three o'clock, Hachi is at the train station to greet his beloved master.

One day, the train arrives at the station without the professor. Hachi waits.

For ten years Hachi waits for his master to return. Not even Yasuo, the young boy who takes care of Hachi, can persuade him to leave his post.

Hachiko Waits is a novel inspired by a true story. Readers will be touched by the story of Hachiko and his impact on the people of Japan.

Hachiko Waits is a 2005 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:02 -0400)

Professor Ueno's loyal Akita, Hachiko, waits for him at the train station every afternoon, and even after the professor has a fatal heart attack while at work, Hachiko faithfully continues to await his return until the day the dog dies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible