Tremble by Tobsha Learner

Tremble

by Tobsha Learner

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't finish this. I read the first couple of stories and it just wasn't for me. I know that some people probably like erotic tales with fantasy beings but it definitely not something I would want to try reading again. It was the part about mystical beings that didn't stick to me, it was just too bizarre for my taste. ( )
  AnastaB | Jan 7, 2014 |
I received this book free from the Librarything Early Reviewer giveaway. As will be immediately obvious, this did not effect my review.

Holy cats, this book is TERRIBLE. Crazy bad. I read half of 3 different stories and gave up which makes this exception that proves the rule that I always finish books. This is the single least erotic book I have ever read, and that includes both The Crucible and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I am dumbfounded that someone thought this was hot. ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Oct 9, 2013 |
In her second collection of short erotic pieces that span eras—each set in unique, vividly fashioned times and locations—Learner displays her powerful ability to spin stories with strange, somber twists and a highly erotic flair.

This brand of erotica has no boundaries; Learner writes about the bizarre, the taboo, and just the plain WEIRD. But I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Some of the super strange stories are actually quite amusing, and I just love how even though each one is only about 30-40 pages, there are actual plots in them. This typically isn't easy to do with the page limitation but Learner builds her worlds and characters expertly.

In terms of style, her grip of the pen is firm; the stories are well-seasoned and each one is so different from the other, that it doesn't at all feel like you're just reading the same account with different scenarios. Every story is individual in its own kind, so you get nine opportunities to delight in these disturbing but carnal stories. Although some of the stories are set in contemporary times, everything Learner writes reads like a folktale. The voice is rather distant, but that makes each tale more clandestine, more mysterious, and more oddly charming.

Tremble covers a vast range of scenarios, whether it be a supernatural object that disrupts the lives of an individual, or a hex that plagues an entire village. In particular, I loved The Root, a darkly comical tale about a root that comes to—ahem—life, and the implications of a cursed bloodline, as well as Virgin, a lust-ridden story about a nun gone bad, and her path to sexually charged redemption. There are allusions to previous stories in succeeding ones, which I loved; it connected the anthology beautifully and the recurring topics brought a smile to my face.

One thing I noticed is that most of the protagonists are middle-aged; no new adult nonsense here. Normally I'd find this strange because it's harder to get excited by the thought of quadragenarians engaging in lustful activity (honestly, that's a visual I don't need sometimes) but the stories overall feel old-fashioned, so I didn't have that much of a problem with it.

Pros: Folktake-like stories // Well-formed plots and characters, so each story is a different experience entirely // Entertaining voice // Gets heavy at times, but overall very readable // Very untraditional form of erotica; you will be squirming in arousal, but you'll feel weird about it because the stories are so bizarre!

Cons: A few duds I found neither erotic nor enjoyable (specifically The Snore and Hair Shirt) // Sometimes gets a bit weird... but I guess that's the magic of this collection

Verdict: Tremble is an eccentric anthology that bends the rules of erotic fiction; as familiar as I am with the genre, I can't say I've read anything like this before. Each story is colorful and elaborate, and overall the collection feels very traditional—very earthy with an outlandish but indulgent sexuality coursing through it. If you're up for a new experience with short erotica, definitely check this one out.

Rating: 7 out of 10 hearts (4 stars): Not perfect, but overall enjoyable.

Source: Complimentary copy provided by publisher, via tour publicist, in exchange for an honest and unbiased review (thank you, Penguin and TLC Book Tours!). ( )
  stephanieloves | Sep 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book starts off with a more than a little bit creepy story.. I almost didn't read any further. It's mildly erotic, but a book that makes you think and well.. it's certainly different. ( )
  Silversi | Sep 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you're looking for non-stop sex (a la Fifty Shades of Grey) this is not for you. The stories within are erotic, but the focus is on language, plot and the philosophical nature of life. They just happen to have some sex in them. I found several of them quite disturbing, in fact, but all of them made me think. ( )
  EmScape | Aug 23, 2013 |

Erotic, dangerous and divine - Tobsha Learner is back with a new collection of extraordinary desires. Tremble dissects love and desire from all angles. Passion, magic and sinister tones interweave to stimulate the senses and explore the wishes of the human heart.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tobsha Learner's book Tremble was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,003,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible