Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery by John…

Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery

by John Feinstein

5203419,468 (3.81)1

The author's experience and background fully informs this press-pass look at the Cinderella's ball of college basketball. Audiobook review: The sports commentator and writer reads his own youth mystery novel set at the Final Four championship in New Orleans, giving it an appealing authenticity and insider's view for the listener. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
After winning a basketball reporting contest, eighth graders Stevie and Susan Carol are sent to cover the Final Four tournament, where they discover that a talented player is being blackmailed into throwing the final game.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
I thought I would hate this book because it is a sports book and I am so not sports girl, but it was actually pretty good. There are long passages with details about how college basketball works that I could have done without, but I have to admit they were helpful in figuring out how things could affect each other.

Stevie and Susan Carol win the US Basketball Writers Association young writers award and get to go to the final four in New Orleans to cover the games for smaller papers that can't afford to send someone. They overhear a teacher talking to Chip Graber, one of the most famous and important players at the game, blackmailing him to throw the final game. They mention what they heard to their supervisors but the supervisors think they misheard. They think it's impossible to throw the game. The kids eventually manage to contact Chip and tell him they want to help him. They uncover a gambling operation that relies on Chip losing the game. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Steven Thomas is one of two lucky winners of the U.S. Basketball Writer’s Association’s contest for aspiring journalists. His prize? A trip to New Orleans and a coveted press pass for the Final Four. It’s a basketball junkie’s dream come true!
But the games going on behind the scenes between the coaches, the players, the media, the money-men, and the fans turn out to be even more fiercely competitive than those on the court. Steven and his fellow winner, Susan Carol Anderson, are nosing around the Superdome and overhear what sounds like a threat to throw the championship game. Now they have just 48 hours to figure out who is blackmailing one of MSU’s star players . . . and why.

Praise for John Feinstein:
“The best writer of sports books in America today.”—The Boston Globe

“Feinstein’s beat, it turns out, isn’t sports; it’s human nature.”—People on A March to Madness

“A basketball junkie’s nirvana.”—Sports Illustrated on A March to Madness

“One of the best sportswriters alive!”—Larry King, USA Today on A Good Walk Spoiled

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

After winning a basketball reporting contest, eighth graders Stevie and Susan are sent to cover the Final Four tournament, where they discover that a talented player is being blackmailed into throwing the final game.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible