Endure (Need) by Carrie Jones

Endure (Need)

by Carrie Jones

So glad to finally have the last installment of this series.
gah! So ridiculous everything that happened.

Stupid Astley. I want to kick him. But I love him so.

I am also a very big fan of Hel. Love her too. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
When you have an incredibly unique, strong, and ambitious series such as this, it deserves only a killer ending that keeps up the magic. Does this fourth book end the series with a grand enough finale?

Well, yes...but also no.

By this point what's at stake is clear - put aside entanglements of the heart and put saving the world first. Zara's thankfully adept at this too. There's genuine ouchness with Nick but she forces an emotional compartmentalization so that what she needs to get done, gets done. Each book has grown on a grander scale of story. If I go in expecting it on say, a large fantasy scale, it's acceptable. Or, if the series has more books to where such a large turnabout would be realistic maybe.

I have to gives kudos to Jones for imagination and stretching wings in the name of creative effort, but a small part of me disagrees that this strong foundation can convincingly stand.

Many areas work - I loved Hel (even if the idea of redeeming by it is playing things a little safe,) and I couldn't be more happy to see some returning faces. Again groovy, powerful fight scenes skirt across the pages, and the gang stands firm against every obstacle thrown at them.

The ending starts losing itself, however. Sure, I know Google is the encyclopedia for teens of the modern age, but good grief. And the lore kept growing and growing. I started finding it confusing, all over the place, and making little sense. In addition the very, very end was not how I could ever envision the pair settling down. Zara would want it this way but considering her new position, it seems unlikely she could keep living as normal and how would the new male lead be able to fit in there with a normal life and forgo other responsibilities?

Still not liking the mom much. The 'relationship' has been established once and for all, and the results what I and everyone else figured and knew. Thing is, is either man a prize in this book? I loved Nick before but anymore he's lacking many positive attributes. Astley made an impressive entrance in the second story, but to me he's now become too cliche as a nice, everyday guy who's predictable. Issie will forever be adored by me - she's bubbly, memorable, and outright fun.

Zara's still feisty and compassionate, but to me, as I thought with the third book, she's less special. She's supposed to play a role in the apocalypse now (albeit a flimsy one as it turns out), so that should make her SUPER special already, right? But to me her personality now blends together to stand out less. Even if I don't find her as cool as before, she's still cool though. =)

Jones has the ability to invent fascinating characters that stand out. I think as the stories grew larger than life, the characters lost a little of theirs.

This novel, while enjoyable on several respects, feels uneven at times and sometimes misses the climactic mark. Series fans should be pleased overall. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
“Endure” brings to a close the love triangle of Zara, the Pixie King Astley, and her werewolf boyfriend Nick. When last we saw Zara in “Entice,” she had allowed Astley to turn her into his Pixie Queen so she could rescue Nick from Valhalla where he had been taken after being killed in battle.

Now in “Endure,” with Nick safely by her side, Zara’s world continues to fall apart.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/endure-carrie-jones/
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
WARNING: You might have to endure (pun intended)this review cause it's nonsense. I'm just rambling. If you don't want to read this, then don't. Not forcing anyone to read this review.

I finally finished Endure. I'm starting to hate it at first. With all the annoying romance going on. I really don't like it when a girl in a book would start to like the next boy who would appear when she was totally in love with the first boy. WTF, right? The romance side of this book remind me of Elena in The Vampire Diaries. I wanted to pull my hair out to the romance shit of this last book.

BUT. I begin to totally liked it when they were trying to save their little town from evil Pixie named, Frank and stop the freakin' apocalypse. The summary in here said "Unexpected Turns, surprising revelations". That much is true. It really is unexpected and surprising.

I don't know if I should love Jones for not focusing much on the love story or not. Anyway, the epic conclusion of the books is good. I like Hel. I like how she support Zara. I like how Zara gathers up the Pixies, the good ones.

I hated Ash's mother. Oh, wait. It's Astley. Damn. It's not Ash. What she did to Zara. And I wish she could be turned again to Pixie.

I don't even know why I'm doing this review. I have a mix feelings with this. I can't really say what I want to say. 50% I like it, the other percent, I didn't like it. But yes, I gave 4 stars to it. ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Carrie Jones finishes off her “Need” series with Endure, a YA paranormal entry packed with action, romance, pixies and the end of the world.

Zara and her friends have been fighting hard to rid Bedford of the evil pixie king, Frank, and his band, but with an impending apocalypse at hand they’re going to need an army. Where do you find an army in such a little town? Check out your local high school, where fear is not an option! Zara, Nick, Issie, Devyn and Cassidy decide to bring their fellow students into the fold and let them know their town is now the epicenter of Armageddon. Zara’s pixie king Astley is none to pleased to discover that the secret world of pixies has been revealed to outsiders, but they need all the help they can get. With the help of Astley’s pixies, Zara sets out to train the teens in mortal combat. But when she learns of a prophecy that seems to indicate she causes the end of the world, Zara sets off on a quest with Astley, Nick and Issie to find out more.

I was thrilled to have Issie back in top cuteness form, hyper and still unable to tie her own shoes. She seemed to have lost her spark in the last book and was skating slightly on the edge of annoying. Well, the spark has returned and Issie is back to being the totally awesome Issie we know and love. Devyn and Cassidy are really cut back in this book, but I think it’s because there is just so much going on that they aren’t as prominent. There’s a whole section of the book where Zara, Nick, Astley and Issie leave Bedford to find out more about the prophecy and Devyn and Cassidy are left behind with the trainees, which definitely cut into our time with them.

On the plus side, we have a cool new character named Hel who is introduced in Endure. She is the ruler of “Hel” which, according to Norse mythology, is the place where anyone who dies of sickness or old age goes after they die (those who die in battle go to Valhalla). I liked the way her realm was conceived by Jones and thought it was a fascinating place to visit. Hel turned out to be a pretty pivotal stop in the book, providing Zara with some important information and allies – as well as a visit with someone she missed dearly.

One of the best things about this series are the chapter headings in each book. The phobia headings of the first book were great, but the headings in Endure are a lot more detailed. We have police blotters, dispatch calls, an FBI agent’s private log entries – even a Yahoo! Answers heading. They give a fascinating glimpse at how the events occurring in Bedford look to everyone not directly involved in them.

Endure turned out to be the most action-packed installment of this series. From small fights with pixies to an all-out battle at the end, this story moves. But with action comes loss; not every character is going to survive. While action is at the forefront, there is still time for a bit of humor and a lot of romance.

I’ll admit it up front – I am definitely Team Astley at this point, so I’ve been very anxious to see how the love triangle of Zara, Nick and Astley plays out. I love how supportive Astley has been to Zara throughout this series, putting her first in all things. The two of them bring out the best in each other, as she shores up his insecurities and he gives her belief in herself. When I first started this series I was a Nick lover, but times have changed – he has not taken Zara’s pixie transformation well at all. I do think Jones has been a little harsh when writing Nick’s character recently; I know he’s an Alpha wolf, but his he-man attitude, stubbornness and jealousy have not painted him in the best light. He was much more likable in the first book, Need, and since I loved him first I wish Jones hadn’t made the differences between him and Astley so glaring. Having two strong, caring, compassionate heroes would have added some real agony to Zara’s choice, and given it more worth. This is the only point I really felt the book fell short.

Full of twists and turns, action, loss, humor, romance and pixies, Endure is an exciting conclusion to Carrie Jones’ “Need” series. While I wish the differences between the two male leads hadn’t been as glaring as they were, the romance overall is satisfying. An explosive battle and unexpected betrayal at the end almost broke my heart, but the final conclusion and quiet epilogue helped piece it back together. This series is definitely a must-read for those who like a lighter take on the pixie genre, or for those who are a little too young yet for Melissa Marr’s “Wicked, Lovely” series. ( )
  eomalley | Apr 13, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159990554X, Hardcover)

Zara is at the center of an all-out war, and an impending apocalypse. True, she’s successfully rescued Nick from Valhalla, but it simply isn’t enough. Bedford is being ravaged by evil pixies and they need much more than one great warrior; they need an army. Zara isn’t sure what her role is anymore. She’s not just fighting for her friends, she’s also a pixie queen. And to align her team of pixies with the humans she loves will be one of her greatest battles yet. Especially since she can’t even reconcile her growing feelings for her pixie king…

Unexpected turns, surprising revelations, and one utterly satisfying romantic finale make Endure a thrilling end to this series of bestsellers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

When evil pixies cause mass destruction and chaos in Bedford, Maine, sixteen-year-old Zara prepares for war, aligning her team of pixies with the humans she loves so much, a task made more difficult by her growing feelings for pixie king Astley.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible