Under Suspicion by Hannah Jayne

Eh. I read the first one and it was ok. I read the second one because I wanted to find out what happened to a certain character... no mention of him in the second one. This one was just bleh, but since I read the first two I thought "Why not?" And, darn it, I'm probably going to read the fourth one just because the character from the first one is back. Can't see myself every rereading any of this series though. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Started this yesterday, October 27th 2012 after buying it cheaper through a coupon at the Sony ebook-store.
Have read the first book in the series and should read the second one, but did not check to realize that this was the third.

Oh well, does not matter too much, light reading. Heroine is too meek for my taste. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
When a client doesn’t show up for an appointment, Sophie decides she needs to investigate. She quickly finds that the client isn’t the only one to disappear – or face violence

Faced with the complete indifference of her boss, colleagues and friends, Sophie decides she will track down the attacker.

Sophie is one of the most frustrating protagonists I’ve ever come across. She is supposed to be in her 30s but she is grossly immature and ridiculously incapable. She acts like a particularly inept teenager. She’s utterly dependent on the people around her and regularly collapses into tears in a puddle of limp spined jelly on the floor. Where she will get wet because she drools so much over hot guys (when not monologuing over them ridiculously) that she must be constantly standing in a puddle. Also the “Sophie gets drunk, makes a fool of herself and needs to be carried home” looks like it’s becoming a compulsory scene in every book. Sophie, you’re 33+ years old. Grow up, get yourself together and check under the couch cushions for your dignity that you must have mislaid them somewhere.

When not pushing around the decaying mass that pretends to be a plot, Sophie is finding random events that are supposed to be funny (which aren’t) or worrying about getting fat while eating chocolates and sweets.

I know that probably a lot of people would be equally as inept as Sophie. Ok, I know there are some people who may be as inept as Sophie. On their very very bad days. Maybe. It could be argued that Sophie is merely slightly incompetent (rather than utterly incompetent) person forced into circumstances outside her skill set. But she’s not – she happily “volunteers” (which is a generous way for “sticks her nose in”) to random situations she’s grossly unsuited for and then whines and falls apart because she’s grossly unsuited. Her boss in this book repeatedly tells her to mind her own business and stick to what she’s good at and I think we’re supposed to see him as villainous for doing so – but he makes a lot of sense

Sophie’s co-characters are equally shallow. She has her Guardian, an English guy with a terrible Dick Van Spike accent who exists to be hot and randomly save Sophie from whatever disaster she’s dived head first into this time. There’s her friend, the vampire Nina, old, powerful – and a caricature of silliness who manages not to be frustrating just because Sophie is so much worse. And Vlad, an old vampire who looks 16 and decides to act it as well, because why not?

Perhaps worse than all of this is the plot itself – that just doesn’t work. It is held together by dubious reasoning and bizarre behaviour on the part of the cast. So much of this book is outright contradictory or forced or convoluted it was actively irritating to read

Take the very idea that Sophie has to do all the investigating – why does it fall to her to investigate despite the fact she not only doesn’t have applicable skills (nor, for that matter, basic competence at, well, anything)? Because no-one else cares. Multiple attacks and murders on demons and no-one cares because… who knows. At no point does this book ever adequately explain why everyone is so indifferent to a serial killer in their midst – it exists surely so Sophie can be the plucky one deciding to investigate. Not only does virtually no-one care about the murders, but a surprising number of people (Including Alex who has past experience with Sophie so should really know better) treat her like an actual decent investigator (or borderline competent person) and let her wander around crime scenes. This worked in book 1 where she was providing expert knowledge for the police, but not when she’s running around dragging Dick Van Spike around with her.

Or there’s here red herrings – now every good mystery needs red herrings, false leads and set backs in an investigation – but in this book that relies on Sophie making ridiculous assumptions and clinging to them for grim death before sense finally wedges them out of her brain. When she finds a possible murder weapon she stresses over it… but doesn’t actually do anything about it. Why follow up on a clue when you can create random bizarre theories and follow them instead? I really have to show how ridiculous these theories are with an example

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Nov 26, 2014 |
Sophie Lawson has gotten a promotion at the Underworld Detection Agency. She’s the new Head of the Fallen Angel Division. Since that job doesn’t really take up a lot of her time she’s also taking care of other clients. Until some of her clients start turning up dead and many of her still alive clients decide it would be wiser and safer to see someone else. Now, Sophie has even more time to investigate why demons are being attacked or outright murdered.

During all of this her vampire roommate Nina has fallen in love with an author. An author who researches and writes about how vampires and other paranormal creatures aren’t real. How ironic that he’s dating a vampire and he’s clueless. Alex Grace, the Fallen Angel and police detective, has taken off to parts unknown for some stake out and only her Guardian Will is sticking close to her while Sophie goes from one close call to another.

Well-written with a bit of a faster plot than the last two books, I’m still not feeling the love of the characters that I would like this far into a series. After everything that has happened to Sophie the last two books you would think her friends and colleagues would show a little less disbelief when she insists something bad is happening to demons. Instead they pooh pooh her and tell her the incidents are just coincidence. Then there’s Sophie herself. She still cries too much and now she’s always talking about peeing her pants. Again, after everything that has happened to her, why hasn’t she grown a set of balls or something? Still not liking Alex, so I’m very glad he’s not in this book much. The one character I really like is Will. I hope we continue to see a lot of him. The ending was a bit of a shocker. I’m actually looking forward to seeing what happens in the next book.

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Kensington for providing me with a review copy. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Apr 7, 2013 |
man, sophies getting annoying in these. she started out as a sort of competent amusing main character in the first, but as the series goes on she just gets stupider and more helpless. it's really annoying. she spends half the book weeping with snot running down her face and the other shoving food into her face while her friends patronize her and pat her on the head. so not reading any more of these. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
You’d think by the time a guy had gained immortality, he’d tire of copying his butt on the office copy machine.

Being a human mmune to magic helped Sophie Lawson get promoted. It's also made her a major, very reluctant player in a game that stretches beyond even the Underworld. Having handsome buttoned-down Englishman Will as her new guardian is one tempting blessing, especially since sexy fallen angel Alex is mysteriously MIA lately. But as a frightening number of demons start disappearing around the city, Sophie suspects that an Armageddon-level prophecy is about to become everyone's nightmare. And her investigation is testing her bravery--and Will's unepected vulnerability--in ways neither could predict. Now Sophie and will are fast running out of time as an unstoppable evil prepares to lay waste to demons and humans alive.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible