Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Estep

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Dark Frost
Authors:Jennifer Estep
Info:KTEEN (2012), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

Originally reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

When compared to the first two books, I found Dark Frost a bit disappointing. Okay, there are big revelations. Some I’d already seen coming and others… surprisingly not so much. And some just plain out disappointed me. “Is that all? That’s the big evil plan, being, creäture, and so on, and so on…” I’ve repeatedly found myself in this situation. I expected so much more, some more tension, some bigger plot, a more surprising enemy. Anything but this. This was just unsatisfying.

I also struggled a lot with Gwen. As I mentioned in my review of Kiss of Frost, Gwen is turning into the average YA heroine you find nowadays. The ones who are too naïve and too proud to ask for help. As I already ranted about her behavior in that review I’ll keep it short here: she was just plain old annoying. Thank God for Logan, who sees where it’s heading and intervenes. And thank god that Gwen also has a moment of insight. Now she can go on to the next step: to act like it!

Talking about Logan. In the previous books there were some hints about a big secret, something that has scarred him for life. Okay, the secret was horrific and it must have been hard on him, but it was also some of the times where I thought That’s all? It felt a bit too mundane for such a magical world. Couldn’t his secret be a little more… imaginative?

There’s also something that bothered me throughout the story. Where’s the security? I imagine a school as significant, with such important children in it, why wouldn’t it have top-notch security too? Especially when there are indications that a reaper is hiding in school. Okay it could be one of the students, but isn’t this school created to fight them? Why doesn’t anyone take action? This situation reminded me a bit too much about HP, too, and I believe Dumbledore would have taken action ages ago. He DID do everything he could to protect the students.

Lots and lots of ranting, isn’t it? So why did I still like it? That’s because of a really great little sword with a very big mouth and Noth (read the story to find out ;) I’m not telling ^^). And the plot. The intrigues, the interference of the gods, the prophecies. The whole magical world that Jennifer Estep created. That was what made me continue, even after the utmost eye-roll for Gwen.

Conclusion

3 HEARTS. Still a nice book to read, even if I didn’t like it as much as the A touch of Frost and A Kiss of Frost. Gwen continues to be annoying and I was a bit disappointed with some of the things that were revealed in this book. I just expected more. Anyway, it’s still a fascinating world and the minor characters made the idiocy of Gwen’s action more than up for me: they made me laugh ^^ ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
Full review to be posted soon:

Ohhh this book is pretty much a game-changer in the series with a huge climatic ending that has emotional, psychological and world changing elements. Gwen really goes through the gauntlet in this book, and discovers a dangerous aspect to her gift. There is also developments with the supporting characters and yes fans of Logan will be very very happy in this one!

Can't wait for Crimson Frost - this feels this book has really cemented the series for me! ( )
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
Dark Frost (Mythos Academy #3)
By Jennifer Estep

Jennifer Estep has given us another terrific 3rd novel in the Mythos Academy series; the plot is fantastic, it’s faced paced and full of mystery and suspense. A few times I thought I knew what was going on then realized I didn’t. Jennifer Estep writing is terrific and I can’t wait for book 4 to be released. This is one of those books that once you begin you don’t stop till you reach the end.

Gwen is on a mission to find the Helheim Dagger that her mother hid before she died. Everyone knows that the reapers will stop at nothing to retrieve the dagger as it is the only artifact that can release the reapers champion Loki.

When Gwen and her friends come face to face with a group of reapers and fight for their lives, Gwen meets up with the reaper that killed her mother. The reapers may retrieve this time but everyone knows full well that they will be back.

Can Gwen find the dagger and keep it safe? Will she be able to figure out what is going on between her and Logan and why is her best friend in such a bad mood lately?

This is a fantastic read and I can’t say much more without adding spoilers, so buy this book and enjoy. I gave Dark Frost a 4 star rating and will recommend this series to all my friends.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Dark Frost is hands down the darkest installment I’ve read so far in this series; it kicks off with a bloody Reaper massacre at the museum and only escalates from there. There’s no happily-ever-after to be had in this Mythos Academy book, instead things go from bad to worse and if you’re a fan of this series then you know that that means Loki, the god of chaos, is probably involved. Even the feel good side story featuring Gwen’s friend Nott, the Fenrir wolf from Kiss of Frost, has a bittersweet ending to it. There was however, some development on the Logan front and I for one can’t wait to tune in to their first date in Crimson Frost!

Jennifer Estep pulled a fast one on me with the main plot of this novel; all signs pointed to the most likely suspect so of course, I immediately discounted this character as the possible big bad. But, then I began to doubt myself as I neared the end of the book and no other prospects had surfaced so, I started to believe in Estep’s original villain. Well, I’m sure you all know how that turned out. I was blindsided by the real perp who I’d previously pegged as a possible future addition to Gwen’s circle of friends. That’s what I get for assuming that because this novel is shelved as Young Adult that the plot line must be simple. I really don’t give YA authors enough credit sometimes.

I was surprised by how quickly things escalated in this installment. The first two were about Frost growing into her powers and coming to terms with the fact that Norse, Greek and Native America gods alike not only exist but are at war with Loki. The Mythos Academy main story arc really takes the lead in this book which basically means that… the sh*t has hit the fan! Some of the things that happen in this novel are downright shocking; I found myself thinking “Estep did NOT just do that!” on more than one occasion. Buckle your seat belts folks because this third installment is one heck of a bumpy ride!

I enjoyed how action-packed this book was and I loved that Estep wasn’t afraid to spill a little blood; this installment reminded me a bit of her more violent Elemental Assassin series. I’m happy that Logan and Gwen finally worked out their differences and can move forward with their relationship. I understand the need for slower romance in YA but I do need at least two kisses per novel. Minimum! Dark Frost is just what the title promises: dark. This is no children’s bedtime story. ( )
  RabidReads | Jul 1, 2013 |
Listened for Review (Brilliance Audio)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 3.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (Not Part of the Overall Rating)

First Thought when Finished: The original part of Dark Frost was ROCKSTAR but the "rehashing" of previous stories was over done (I don't know why but in this one it really stood out).

Story Thoughts: Here is the deal: I loved the original part of the story. I thought it was the strongest to date and everything worked out perfectly. Gwen had to step up her game and really come into her own as Champion. She also had friend issues, boy issues, and school issues to work through and with that much on her plate I was surprised she held it together as well as she did. There was action and a pretty good little mystery to figure out. I wasn't stunned by the culprit but still think it was very well played. My problem is that 40% of the book was repeating stuff from previous books or in two cases things that happened at the beginning of this book. That was a bit overkill and took away from the enjoyment of the story.

Character Thoughts: I love the kids of Mythos Academy. As far as teenagers go, these kids are alright. The angst is manageable and believable. Gwen is an excellent central character. She loves her grandmother, she is smart, she has strong role models (in the form a teacher), she has a core group of friends, and appears to have a good head on her shoulders. She has all the typical teenage stuff to deal with along with being chosen as a Champion. She handles it all pretty well! The people that who surround her are pretty interesting too. Characters are where Jennifer Estep shines! I simply haven't read a character of hers that I thought was one-dimensional. That is brilliant!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated by Tara Sands / Running Time 10 hrs and 26 mins

This is one of those series where the narration has grown on me! Tara is now who I hear as Gwen even if I pick up the book version. Her pacing, emotion, and "oomph" are a good match for the kids at Mythos Academy. I will continue this series in audio!

Final Thoughts: I can't wait to see what adventures Gwen and her friends continue to have! ( )
  thehistorychic | May 29, 2013 |
as always to my mom, my grandma, and Andre, for all their love, help, support and patience with my books and everything else in life.
and to lucky, one of the best dogs ever. nineteen years wasn't long enough we'll always miss you.
"if you guys don't stop making out, I'm going to be sick"
a great start to a young new adult paranormal series-night owl readers
at Mythos academy, surviving high school means staying alive-Kernel Sparks
It has literally everything: mystery, romance, mythology, boarding schools. what could get better?-Simply Nerdy Book Reviews

Fighting for her life when she is targeted by the Reapers of Chaos, Mythos Academy student Gwen Frost struggles with an inability to use her psychometry powers to find the hidden object.

91 wanted2 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,888,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible