Sea Turtles by Gail Gibbons

Sea Turtles

by Gail Gibbons

This book is a wonderful book for children 5 to ages 10 this book starts off explaining what a turtle is and where it lives. it also includes different types of turtles. This book would be wonderful for a lesson plan on turtles, also i would read this book to a classroom who is learning about sea turtles. pictures are wonderful as well shows detail. ( )
  NatashaBrand1 | Nov 23, 2016 |
Sea turtles have lived since the dinosaurs existed 200 million years ago. Sea turtles are very important because of this, even though they have changed in time. Sea turtles use to be so big, you could park your car in between their flippers! I thought this was amazing, I never knew this. Sea turtles are also becoming extinct. Wildlife actually has crews go out and help young sea turtles make it out to sea. Raccoon and other animals are eating them before they can even crack out their shell. Turtles are also very different creatures than sea turtles. actually, they are nothing alike. Only turtles can hid in their shells. They have claws and feet while sea turtles have flippers. Also sea turtles can hear very well compared to regular turtles. ( )
  acreel | Nov 22, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book about sea turtles for two reasons. The first reason I liked this book is because it provided comprehensive and extensive information about sea turtles, which makes for a great informational book. For example, it discussed their body parts, the different species, how they have babies, how their numbers are diminishing, how people can protect them, and how sea turtles and turtles are different. It provided the reader with a lot of detailed information. The second reason I liked this book is due to the detailed illustrations and diagrams. None of the illustrations were actual pictures of sea turtles, just detailed drawings, so it gave the book a story-like feel and appealed to younger readers. The diagrams and pictures were clearly labeled and organized and provided definitions of vocabulary words. In addition, the diagrams also gave pronunciation guides for difficult words, like “carapace.” The main idea of this story is to present the reader with a wealth of information about sea turtles in an engaging manner. ( )
  apetru5 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. For one, I liked the diagrams used to support the descriptions in the text. Each page contained a description of facts and information in text. All the information written within a few sentences can be overwhelming for students to obtain. That is why these diagrams are beneficial and helpful for the students to visually see the information that is written. For example, one of the pages describes a sea turtle’s shell. The diagram of the shell contains key vocabulary being described such as “bridge, plastron, etc.” Also, I liked this book because it contained interesting facts that could engage students to read more. For example, one of the pages opens with, “sometimes a sea turtle looks like it’s crying but it isn’t sad.” This is interesting because students associate crying with being sad but for sea turtles it is different. Although, I did not like this book because I feel like there was too much information. At times, I found myself getting bored. I think this book is more appropriate for a student who is researching sea turtles. The big message of Sea Turtles is to inform students about sea turtles. ( )
  Kgranit | Apr 11, 2014 |
The author makes a stark claim these turtles
have been around for millions of years. There
is no possible way she can know that. Yes, there
may be some fossils but for some, the belief those
fossils can be distorted or created with matter
from other destroyed planets.
However, I never realized sea turtles were so different
than those on land. I, also, never realized there was so
many different types. This was interesting and the
photographs were OK. They were at least colorful and
gave the reader an idea of how they look. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Jun 15, 2013 |

Teaches your children all about sea turtles!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

Sea turtle puppet designed to accompany the reading of Sea turtles by Gail Gibbons. Teacher's guide contains suggestions for activities using the puppet and /or the book.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible