Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin

Ashen Winter

by Mike Mullin

Series: Ashfall (2)

Post-apocalyptic drama, romance and hope

Immediately upon finishing this 2nd part of the trilogy I was compelled to begin book 3. No sleep for me! ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 11, 2017 |
Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin

It is a struggle to survive the volcanic winter that follows the eruption of Yellowstone. Alex and Darla have to struggle even harder when they learn of the possible whereabouts of Alex's parents. He and Darla set off to find them, which results in Darla being shot and inadvertently kidnapped by a cannibalistic group.
Now Alex has to figure out a way to find his parents while still finding Darla before she is forced to endure too much.

Love, love, loved this book. I'm a fan of Mullin and Alex and Darla. This is a boy-narrated disaster story that girls will enjoy too. Darla is a great female character: smart, practical and mechanically inclined.

Warning: I'd probably keep this one in high school due to a couple of "intimate" moments. Nothing too racy though.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
In this middle tale of the Ashfall Trilogy, it’s been several months since the devastating ashfall from the supervolcano that ruined civilization. Alex is desperate to find his parents, and so he and Darla decide to brave the uncertainties of travel in this new life and search for Alex’s parents. But the peril they face is not only the lack of shelter and food; the greater danger lies in the criminal element who kill for food and the things necessary to survive. Like the first novel, this one also contains violence and viciousness. The characters are well developed, and the author truly gives you a sense of the struggle to survive. ( )
  Maydacat | Oct 22, 2016 |
Kale, Corn Pone & Dandelion Greens...

Sound yummy?! Not to me either but that's about the extent of their daily diet after the supervolcano eruption, that is unless you're a Flenser aka a Cannibal. : ) I would have to pass on that too!

One of the things though I like about this series is how in-depth the author gets with their survival tactics & resourcefulness. They've built everything from a grinding mill and greenhouses to a bike with skis to traverse the snow and ash and a truck that runs off of propane. They build everything with whatever supplies they have on hand or can scrounge up. Never in a million years would I be able to come up with some of the ideas they do so if I had to survive through a volcanic winter I would definitely want to do it with this group, not the Flensers of course : ) but with the main characters, Alex and Darla.

There's a never a dull moment in this series and they're always on the move from city to city getting into something which is fun. I like the changes of scenery. The author also introduced a character with autism. His name is Ben and I absolutely loved him! He was my favorite character in this second book so I hope to see more of him in the next one.  ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
In Ashen Winter, there are gangs of cannibals, FEMA camps that are taking survivors into treacherous conditions for increased government funding, and whole towns are set to go to war just to have a place called home. Alex tries to be mature, but as a sixteen year old boy he still makes stupid decisions, decisions that can cost a lot in this new world. I like reading about Alex, but sometimes I just want to yell at him. This series of books is beyond action packed. It is a long book, but a book you want to keep reading. Just like an action movie there are a lot of scenes that are hard to believe and seem implausible, maybe because they are, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying they story. The characters, even the very minor, are all interesting: the little old librarian in one of the towns, an autistic military genius and his co-dependent sister Alex meets on the road, and even a dim witted cannibal. The Ashfall series is very memorable and even though it is sometimes graphic for YA, it is a thrilling read! ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Mom
Ten months had passed since I'd last seen the sun.

More than six months after the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano, Alex and Darla retrace their steps to Iowa hoping to find Alex's parents and bring them to the tenuous safety of Illinois, but the journey is ever more perilous as the remaining communities fight to the death for food and power.… (more)

Mike Mullin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible