How to Date an Alien: My Alien Romance by…

How to Date an Alien: My Alien Romance

by Magan Vernon

Magan Vernon’s debut novel is a light, breezy read about a teenage girl who suddenly realizes she is going to need more than great grades and a blog to get into the college of her choice. After obtaining an internship at the military base where her father is currently stationed, Alex finds out we are not alone in the universe when she is almost killed by one alien and then rescued by another.

Vernon wastes no time introducing us to the Circe Operations Center, an alien-run station that assists in the integration of aliens into Earth’s societies (think Men In Black). Alix is assigned to the security division where her blogging skills are in demand by Ace, the handsome alien who rescued her. Together they keep tabs on the internet looking for possible leaks about the aliens among us, and fall in love.

Alix is a strong protagonist, who has us sympathizing as she struggles through her first days at the center trying not to antagonize any more aliens or her fellow interns. But Ace is a bit of a mystery; I never really got a handle on his character. The romance is cute, but doesn’t feel very deep. It seems like one day they are simply co-workers and the next they are in love. There is more character development with Alix and her roommates than with Ace. The first half of the book has a great deal of humor, but as the romance heats up a conflict of galactic proportions occurs. And this is where things break down a bit.

When Ace is forcibly recalled to his home planet, Alix’s attempt to rescue him calls for some serious suspension of disbelief. She suddenly has to learn to pilot a military aircraft without killing anyone (she is talked through it by one of her fellow interns!), and the dogfight at the end really strains the story.

Even with these negatives, however, there is enough here to make me want to find out what happens next. Alix is an entertaining heroine, strong and confident, and most of the situations she falls into are humorous. Vernon has a deft style to her writing that kept me engaged in the story. I’m hoping to learn more about Ace and get a better feel for his character in book two. I’d also enjoy a little more romance in the romance. It didn’t feel like it was developed enough. And I’d like answers to the biggest questions of all… Can Alix and Ace overcome the objections of his planet – and his mother? ( )
  eomalley | Apr 20, 2013 |
How to Date a Alien is, as the title suggests, a novel about a human girl who meets and falls for an alien boy. I was really excited about the premise of this one. I've read lots of books where humans date vampires, werewolves, fairies etc... but aliens? Nope, not before this! So it already had points from me for being different to anything I've read before! While this book didn't exactly amaze me, it did entertain and amuse me and I think it was definitely worth the time I spent reading it.

The protagonist, Alex, is a high school student who gets an internship at her dad's workplace, Circe. Alex had no idea that there were aliens at this center and her first moments at Circe are certainly memorable! I thought this book started out really well. Alex was an incredibly likable character who's easy to relate to. She's confident and capable- just clueless about everything to do with her new setting! I liked learning about Circe along with Alex and found it fun and entertaining.

If you're someone who needs lots of action in novels, this might not be for you. I didn't feel like the action started until maybe the last quarter of the book. It is definitely a romance focused book. The romance between Alex and Ace (the alien) progresses fairly quickly but it's not over the top. Things do get crazy as the book goes on which was exciting. What I LOVED about this book was Alex's relationship with her father! She hasn't really seem him in years so it was interesting to see them getting used to each other again.

Overall this was an enjoyable and quick read and I'll definitely be checking out the sequel: How To Break up With an Alien. I also recommend checking out the short story, A Very Alien Valentine's Day, which appears in the anthology In His Eyes.

I was provided with a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
  nicola26 | Mar 29, 2013 |
Alex Bianchi is a 17-year-old girl who is somewhat of a nerd in school. She lives with her mother, stepfather, and little brother, as her parents have been divorced since she was a child. Her father is in the military, so she hasn't seen him much. Alex ends up asking her dad about an internship to Circe, where he works, because she needs something to put on her college application to Columbia University. When she arrives in Arizona to begin her internship, she really knows nothing about the place. When she enters the facility with her father she inadvertently makes a "thumbs up" gesture to her dad, which unbeknownst to her is a huge no-no in the alien world. This results in an attack on her life by an alien, and then another alien, Ace, saves her. This is how Alex finds out that alien's exist. Ace is a Calatian and one of the most beautiful beings she has ever seen. Needless to say, her ignorance of alien culture was not looked upon favorably by her fellow interns, or the other aliens, which came in all different shapes and sizes, some resembling humans and some anything but human-like. As it turns out the Calatians are somewhat of a superior race in the universe, and what Ace did by saving her was frowned upon by the entire alien race.

Alex ends up being assigned to work with Ace, and they find themselves falling for each other. This is also taboo, because it is forbidden for aliens and humans to interact in this way. This sets of a string of events that not only threaten Alex and Ace, but the entire world, as they find themselves the center in the center of an intergalactic war. Alex and Ace are determined to be together, but is their love strong enough to overcome the most powerful being in the universe, the Queen of Calatia, especially when the Queen happens to also be Ace's mom?

HOW TO DATE AN ALIEN was a cute story. It sort of had a little of a "Men in Black" feel to it, mixed with a little bit of "Roswell." Though it has it's very serious moments, there is quite a bit of lighthearted humor mixed in. The story moves along an a good pace and was entertaining. Ace is your totally hot alien type who looks like a male model. Alex has an Italian background, is dark haired and has an olive-skinned dark complexion. She also wears glasses, and cannot see anything without them. She is portrayed as not quite overweight, but not thin by any means, though I think she sees herself in a more negative manner than everyone else does. Alex and Ace face many obstacles in their relationship, as well as biases, and plenty of danger because there are many in the human world and alien world who do not want to see these two together. I found this YA science fiction/romance cute and entertaining, and though it has its serious moments, still remains lighthearted and fun. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Feb 18, 2013 |
I was so hoping to enjoy this story, but I didn’t. I thought it would be an interesting culture clash with an alien love interest. Instead it was an airhead who falls in love with an alien. As you might guess, I had a major problem with Alex. Supposedly she is super smart, but it doesn’t read that way. She is in a super secret military facility and I couldn’t tell the difference from High School. There are the mean girls, and the creepy guys, and the staring and the mooning over the hot boy Ace, who happens to be an alien that keeps saving her life. I think it was trying to be Men in Black, but made a wrong turn into Clueless. There are multiple occasions where the logical thing doesn’t happen, probably because the story needs to continue and it needs a main character to do that. There are all these aliens walking around, but we see very little of them and learn even less, because Alex can’t stop thinking about Ace. When a quarter of the way through the story nothing had happened except trying to get closer to Ace, who blows extremely hot and cold, I decided I had other more interesting things to read. ( )
  readr | Dec 5, 2012 |
This is a cute and fun story. With great action and mysteriousness around every corner, dating an alien is harder than what you think.

What I adored most about this story is how much it reminded me of Men in Black but with a high school setting and teens. Alex thinking she doing an military internship, she finds herself in a whole new world she did not know exist. Alex is quick to accept it with loads of questions. I too, feel that I would react the same way. Alex is smart and knows exactly what to ask. She doesn't fool around but ask straight to the point.

The love interest developed just the way I like it. Ace is an alien who's mysterious attitude attract me right away. The way he answer questions hastily, or answer questions with questions is enough to make me lose my mind and go after him. Once Alex learns who he is, the romance sizzles up into pure love.

I enjoyed the action, especially at the end. With a girl leading the fight, it made me giddy to see Alex fighting for who she loves no matter what the cost. Plus, a girl who can fly a fight jet, who wouldn't want to be in her shoes.

How To Date An Alien is a fantastic story that engulfs the reader. Filled with a burning romance that is actually fought for, I fell for the story. Amazing descriptions of the worlds of beyond, How To Date An Alien is awesome! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Jun 11, 2012 |
For Tim,
For helping to make all of my dreams come true.
If someone told me at the beginning of that summer that I would come face-to-face with death because of a Romeo and Juliet romance, I would never have believed it.

High school senior Alex Bianchi's estranged father gets her an internship at Circe Operations Center to pad her college applications. But Circe isn't your typical military base. It's an alien-run operation center and not all of the aliens are friendly, especially the one that tries to kill Alex on her first day. When Ace, a dark-eyed Caltian, enters and saves the day, she can't help but be drawn to him. Can these star-crossed lovers survive when they're on the brink of intergalactic war?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,547,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible