Hide-and-Seek with Angels: A Life of J. M.…

Hide-and-Seek with Angels: A Life of J. M. Barrie

by Lisa Chaney

Im on page 62 so far and finding it inspiring. Think fivecats would enjoy this one. ;)

Awesome, not only reviews his work of Peter Pan, but many of his (lesser know today) plays and journalism. Good comparative discussion of the period's views on sexuality and childhood. Covers his early life and later years. Interesting to read of his connections with other writers of the period. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
A very indepth and well-done book about Barrie's entire life. It also gives background information on all significant characters in his life and the history of his surroundings, which gives the reader a very good picture of the whole scenario.

The only thing I find confusing is the timeline. Lisa Chaney doesn't do a very good job of keeping the reader informed of -when- everything happens, and oftentimes we jump back and forth for a few years. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Dec 5, 2012 |
This was a very thorough biography of a very enigmatic figure, J.M. Barrie. Even though he is known mainly for the writing of Peter Pan, he was a very prolific and successful author of plays. The most successful of his time in fact. Here we see him from many angles. He was a very complex and intriguing individual who I think may have suffered from bipolar disorder from the description of him in this book. We see clearly his struggles within his family and within himself. I learned a lot about a very interesting character. ( )
  dianemb | Sep 23, 2010 |
This is perhaps the second most over-written book I've ever read. Apparently, neither the editor nor anyone else told (or convinced) Lisa Chaney that just because she has material it doesn't necessarily need to be included in the book. Nor does she believe "less is more." Thus, the reader is bombarded time and again with long portions of books or plays, long passages in letters (his or others), and lots and lots of unnecessary (and frequently boring) material on those Barrie knew and on Barrie.

When she wasn't overloading the reader with material, her writing was dry and frequently uninteresting. Perhaps her text just appears that boring because I just finished a big biography by David McCullough, who makes even the driest material fascinating. Chaney seemed very impressed by all the literary figures that Barrie had contact with and was at pains to tell us about every one. Her literary name dropping was uncalled for and unimpressive.

On the positive side I now know more about Barrie than anyone would care to know and have lots and lots of tidbits to drop into cocktail conversation should I meet anyone I think would be even moderately interested. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Aug 25, 2009 |

A fascinating and emotional biography of the man who created Peter Pan.

When James Matthew Barrie died, in 1937, his funeral was an occasion for national mourning. Crowds gathered, reporters came to record the day, and many well-known figures followed the coffin to the churchyard. Later, a memorial service was held at St. Paul’s Cathedral for the Scottish weaver’s son who died Britain’s playwright extraordinaire.

A succession of novels and long-running plays had brought Barrie enormous wealth and critical acclaim. His public following extended to Hollywood where his work was performed by the stars of the silver screen. Unhappily such achievements did little to ameliorate the strains in Barrie’s private life. Hampered by a stigmatizing divorce, he was also struck by a series of tragic bereavements from which he never fully recovered. While savouring his public image, Barrie gave no more than a handful of interviews. During his lifetime this inscrutable, enigmatic man succeeded in his desire to remain only partially known.

Barrie was already famous for sophisticated political satires and social comedies when, with the creation of Peter Pan, his immense artistic gift was displayed at its extraordinary best. It became a part of the common culture of the Western world, and is as relevant today as on that first performance one hundred years ago.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:40 -0400)

Best known as the creator of 'Peter Pan', J.M. Barrie's work met with critical acclaim the world over, yet for most of his life he remained a reclusive figure withdrawn from public life. This biography details the immense literary talent of one of Scotland's favourite sons.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible