Jesus - Safe, Tender, Extreme by Adrian…

Jesus - Safe, Tender, Extreme (2006)

by Adrian Plass

Excellent! Adrian Plass in his more serious writing style, with light anecdotes and a friendly way of putting things. The book looks at what it really means to follow Jesus, without religious jargon or pretence.

It’s divided into three sections, so the first part looks about being safe in Jesus. I could relate most strongly to the second section of the book, about the tenderness of Jesus: the compassion with which he dealt with everyone, both friends and questioners, and even his enemies.

The final section was perhaps the most thought-provoking: that of Jesus as an extreme person, never afraid to do what was right or to speak out when it was time to do so. Adrian Plass gives a hint of how exciting life can be when listening and then ‘doing what the Father is doing’.

Each section has a few chapters outlining the themes, followed by anecdotes illustrating what these mean in the author’s own life and those around him. At the end of the book are a series of relevant prayers. I’d have preferred these to be with the main parts of the book. But it’s a small niggle. It’s a very well-written book that I should probably dip into more often than I have done, as there’s a great deal to absorb and much to think about.

Very highly recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Evocative reflections on three facets in our relationship with Jesus. People long for reality in their walk with Christ. To know him better, we must understand the different sides of his complex nature. Popular British author Adrian Plass draws on biblical stories and personal experience---as well as his keen understanding of people's needs---as he explores the Safe Jesus, the Tender Jesus, and the Extreme Jesus. God has told us that he holds us in the palm of his hands, where no one and nothing can harm the most important part of us. But from biblical times to the present day, Christians encounter accidents and disasters. What does it really mean to experience the Safe Jesus? Jesus tells his disciples that they must love one another. Yet time and again we try to find achievement and success through our own efforts and individual gifts, only to end in failure. Instead, we need to know the Tender Jesus who becomes visible when we join with each other in the body of Christ. Jesus only did what he saw his father doing. Each of his actions and encounters were fueled, informed, and instructed by the dynamic, creative, unpredictable Spirit of God. Failing to be obedient in this way is what truly constitutes sin. When we are open to the genuine leading of the Spirit, we will experience the Extreme Jesus. In Jesus -- Safe, Tender, Extreme, Adrian Plass is 'simply a man with a broom, sweeping away the rubbish that prevents others from passing further in and further up, by talking about what Jesus does and doesn't do in my life.'

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:19 -0400)

Is Jesus the solid ground on which our feet stand? With him at the centre of our lives, are we willing & able to be extreme for God in the big & little & mild & dramatic & banal & bizarre acts of service that are required of us? Each of the three sections is accompanied by personal experiences of encountering Jesus, safe & tender.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,728,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible