John le Carre: The Biography by Adam Sisman

John le Carre: The Biography

by Adam Sisman

This book is ridiculously long, unless you are his hugest fan, you probably won't care about half the stuff in here. But the plus side is that if you ever wanted to know every single business deal his father Ronnie ever did, you will love the first 100 or so pages!

I won this from a goodreads giveaway. ( )
  cdevine18 | Sep 17, 2017 |
I’m not a fan of spy fiction and have never read anything by Mr. le Carré, so I was prepared to be underwhelmed by this book, which I’m reading for my non-fiction group. I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

What an interesting character the subject is, and what a horrible childhood he had to endure! It’s amazing that he has functioned at such a high level for so many years. John le Carré: The Biography is also a mini-clinic on the workings of the publishing industry when it comes to the world’s top-selling writers, as Mr. le Carré certainly is. Such intrigue!

I love the way the author points out discrepancies between the way Mr. le Carré describes an event in his life and what the documentary evidence shows and/or various versions of the same story the subject has spoken or written of in the past. Then the author gives his impression of where the truth lies.

There’s lots to like in this book for just about every biography reader. ( )
  NewsieQ | Mar 6, 2017 |
If you are even remotely interested in John Le Carre, you should read this book. No question it is a masterful study of an extremely complicated man and writer. ( )
  viking2917 | Nov 14, 2016 |
Magnificent read on the life of one of my heroes. I rarely read biographies, but this one was one I savoured – reading sparingly in it, spreading it out over one whole month, after buying it straightaway in a bookstore in Utrecht. I came in, saw it from the corner of my eye, and despite a rucksack full of books, picked this thick one and almost ran to the cashier, in disbelief. Off to the central station, jumping in the train, and there it started. The book seller looked at me, and said – ‘Yes, interesting man. I would read this one too’. It is any good? As a biography? I dunno. It seems that Sisman was critical at the start with his references to events David Cornwell made up and which Sisman attributed to ‘false memory’.

In actual fact it becomes clear that David specialised early on in the art of cultivating multiple personalities and multiple versions of events. This is not surprising considering the propensity at conjuring, scheming and double-dealing of Ronnie, David’s maverick father. It provided an excellent preparation for David the spy and an even better school for David the entertaining raconteur, who could add spicy elements to a suspenseful story. The countless incidents of humiliation foisted on David and his brother John by their father, must have given David a bleak outlook on life and the motives of men. Ronnie was a womaniser, a drinker, a gambler, a connoisseur, a British gentleman, a Mafiosi. David’s mother disappeared from the scene early on in his life – she was fed up with Ronnie’s tricks which invariably resulted in another bankruptcy or jail sentence or both. Two traits emanate from such a childhood – a remarkable capacity to please and charm while at the same time embellishing the truth AND some difficulties with the female species (certainly when his father’s absence resulted in boarding school at Sherborne and later, teaching at Eton). One other remarkable thing about le Carre is his tendency to become an angry ‘old’ man over time, moving steadily to the left and more radical part of the political spectrum (contrary to many men, and particularly rare among the class of filthy rich men, whose ranks David has joined, no matter what or how). Ironically that is how I got to know le Carre – my first le Carre novel was a ‘The constant gardener’, one of his angry books, written in old age, speaking out against the baseless and morally bankrupt behaviour of the pharmaceuticals. Once I had read that I was hooked. Le Carre showed how one could write a book which is a million times more effective than whatever scientific research. This provided the seeds of my own writing aspirations (and disillusion with academia). I continued with reading all his recent work and then going backwards in time.

Of course another influential event in Le Carre’s life was his magnificent success with A spy who came in from the Cold. His third book was a game changer, not only for the genre of spy thrillers but also for David himself. My personal favourite of his cold war spy novels is Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy. In between these two spy thrillers David went through a process of adjusting his life to his newly found affluence, experimenting with adultery – big time – and searching, initially, in vain for renewed success and greatness. It was only Tinker, tailor, which brought him back to the pinnacle of success. And from there it went on and on and on, starting with the magnificent BBC tv series made of Tinker, tailor with Alec Guinness starring as George Smiley (I still haven’t seen the series, but I did hugely enjoy the 2012 movie with Gary Oldman as George Smiley – one of the best movies made, ever – and with Gary Oldman starring big time, after his magnificent 24 hour Party people, a forgotten movie on a forgotten era of tremendous success of Manchester music).

Throughout the book it becomes clear David is a serious writer, who lives like a Hermit most of the time, talking books with his second wife Jayne whilst sticking to a strict writing routine in his rural dwellings in Cornwall. David is meticulous in his writing – rewriting complete manuscripts up to 8 times in a row, throwing out hundreds of pages, starting afresh if it does work for him. The man is a monument. In terms of his craft, I found it revealing that David seems capable only of developing his main protagonist characters once he meets a living equivalent, or to put it better, when he has met or been able to observe the base material of that character in the flesh. A final thing about the craft of writing is that David can develop a draft of a novel and then visit its main locations, and work his scenic impressions back into the novel. There are several scenes and moments that are described in the biography that provide interesting snippets and nuggets on the life of David. Like the scene where David has dinner with the PM at the invitation of Margaret Thatcher. The Dutch PM Ruud Lubbers also attends and despite him being the most savvy of all Dutch PMs in the post-war era, he confesses he doesn’t know Le Carre (Auchh!). I was equally delighted to read that David for his book The Mission Song, which engages with corporate resource exploitation in the Congo, visited the Eastern Congo with Michaela Wrong (so, so) and Jason Stearns (yes! The leading analytical light on the topic!!). ( )
  alexbolding | Oct 16, 2016 |
If the goal of a biography is to both inform the reader about their subject (in this case an author) and encourage them to read their subject's entire body of works then John le Carré: The Biography by Adam Sisman accomplished that goal. If you're looking for a fast-paced thrill ride then you're paging up the wrong book (did I take that metaphor too far?). Firstly, this is one of those weird occasions where the biographer's subject is still living. (I just checked and the last biography I read was I Am Scout back in May 2014 and it was also about a living (at the time) subject.) It is abundantly obvious that Sisman did his homework which is due in large part because he had the cooperation of the man himself. I must first inform you that John le Carré is not the author's true name. He is actually David Cornwell, an Englishman and former member of MI5 and MI6. (This isn't a spoiler as apparently it's a well-known fact and I'm just slow on the uptake.) A large part of Cornwell's life had been shrouded in mystery because of his prior career but in truth it was just a minor aspect of what made him into the author that he has become. Sisman explores at length Cornwell's family life and his upbringing and how that came to mold his character (and the characters in his novels). In particular, David's relationship with his father is harked upon multiple times in both Sisman's biography and in the works of le Carré. Honestly, a chronological timeline of all of Ronnie's movements wouldn't have gone amiss as that man was all over the place. I found the pacing of this book extremely slow and I felt it necessary to take frequent breaks so that I wasn't bogged down by the facts (it felt at times like I was being set up for a quiz on dates which I always fail). My overall feeling was that the book was very dry and as a result I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped I would. :-/ However, it served the purpose of instructing me on the topic of the author known as John le Carré so there's that. So I guess I'll give it a solid 4/10 because I did find it somewhat disappointing.

I'm definitely going to check out more of John le Carré's books though. In fact, I have a copy of Smiley's People that's been lurking for entirely too long on my shelves...
  AliceaP | Jul 1, 2016 |
In “John le Carré: The Biography” Mr. Sisman creates an insightful and highly readable portrait of a writer and a man who has often been as elusive and enigmatic as his fictional heroes. Mr. Sisman does a nimble job of tracing correspondences between le Carré’s novels and David Cornwell’s life, while judiciously trying to sift out what he calls “examples of false memory on David’s part.”

"In this definitive biography Adam Sisman reveals the man behind the bestselling persona. In John le Carré, Sisman shines a spotlight on David Cornwell, an expert at hiding in plain sight. Of course, the pseudonym John le Carré has helped to keep the public at a distance. Sisman probes Cornwell's unusual upbringing, abandoned by his mother at the age of only five and raised by his con man father (when not in prison), and explores his background in British intelligence, as well as his struggle to become a writer, and his personal life. Sisman has benefited from unfettered access to le Carré's private archive, talked to the most important people in his life, and interviewed the man himself at length" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible