Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray by…

Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray (2012)

by Diane Kelly

English (2)  Piratical (1)  All (3)
Tara just can't seem to stay out of trouble -- it just comes looking for her. ( )
  bgknighton | Aug 8, 2017 |
Reviewed by: Stacey
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

To me, the makings of a great book series is when you can read each individual book by itself no matter where it is in the series and understand what is going on and enjoy it. This book, number three in the Tara Holloway series, fits into this category. Death, Taxes and Extra-Hold Hairspray – the title is what grabbed me at first but the characters are what kept me reading. I’m not usually a fan of mysteries no matter how major of a plot point, but with the pace of this book that one aspect of it wasn’t too overwhelming for me. The combination of comedy, action, and romance made it a fun, fast read.

Diane Kelly certainly has a way with her characters. We can all relate to wanting something more from our jobs. Kelly’s main character Tara goes from working in a cubicle in a stable job to being a gun-toting special agent for the IRS and it seems like the craziest of cases end up in her lap. This time she’s got two: a corrupt televangelist and a secessionists group who believe they are exempt from the laws of the US. Neither one promise to be open and shut cases, and while dealing with that, her crazy boss Lulu is undergoing cancer treatment and that has Tara out searching for the perfect wig to replace her strawberry blonde beehive!

All in a days work? Not likely!

From the opening chapter title: “This is What Happens When Rednecks Have Too Much Time on Their Hands”, I was hooked. If you are looking for a funny, fast paced chick-lit book with some sex and a non-murder mystery thrown in, then you’ll definitely enjoy Death, Taxes and Extra-Hold Hairspray. You just may end up appreciating your stable day job by the last chapter!

Just don’t be drinking anything while reading…you may end up making a mess! ( )
  RtB | Jan 15, 2013 |

Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray is book #3 in the humorous Death and Taxes romantic mystery series.

An agent for the IRS, Tara Holloway, while investigating a charismatic minister who is using his mega-church as a tax shelter and a crazy militant who is trying to turn Texas into a separate country, must help her boss, Lu, keep her signature strawberry blonde beehive from falling flat.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible