King's Conquest by Valentina Heart

King's Conquest

by Valentina Heart

156647,891 (3)None

The age-old, and in our thinking now somewhat outdated, custom of marrying off a prince to seal a peace treaty with a foreign nation is the starting point of this story. It seems cruel, doesn't take into consideration what the individual wants, and can only lead to unhappiness and heartbreak. Right? Well, I am relieved to say that in this rendition of the story not all ends up as badly as it starts. The fantasy background provides a great setting, and for those who like stories including male pregnancy, this book will be a treat for that reason alone. The fact that both Prince Rinin (the one being married off) and King Merinej (the one doing the conquering) are strong characters makes for a wonderful tale of love found in unexpected places.

Prince Rinin, or Rin for short, enters this agreement thinking he will lose everything, and that includes his life. Nevertheless, he insists he will not be a part of the king's harem nor a slave. I admired him for standing up for himself despite the fact that he is scared to death. His attitude is very much that of a true prince even if he believes he will never rule. He might not even survive childbirth, but he faces his fate with pride and knowing that he did everything he could to preserve his dignity.

King Merinej, or Merin for short, is only seen trough Rin's eyes in this book, but in this case, I think it was a good choice. The mystery of who he is and what he wants is only lifted gradually, and we learn about him at the same pace as Rin. From the very beginning Merin doesn't seem as cruel or imposing as the reports have made him out to be. No wonder; the stories all came from his former enemies, and Rin's people were not likely to admit the king was actually a just man.

If you like fantasy stories in far-away settings, if royal etiquette and male pregnancy fascinate you, and if you enjoy seeing two men come together as true despite the unequal and involuntary way their relationship started, you will probably like this short book. I was certainly fascinated by it and look forward to the sequel.

NOTE: This book was provided by Pride Publishing for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
2.5 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
2.5 stars. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
4 stars.

When is the sequel coming out? ;) ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
Aside from being among the Bestsellers in Gay Romance for last year, I was drawn by this series for the m-preg theme. I think someone suggested this to me, and being the first one a novella, I thought, why not? The commitment is not too much if I don’t like it, and if I like, there is always book 2. I read it in one night and bought the second novella the same night.

Valentina Heart doesn’t shy away from the chosen theme, and actually, it’s the main reason why Prince Rinin is able to barter a marriage instead of being a sex slave to King Merinej. Rin is now alone, his kingdom lost the war against Merin’s one, and now the council has decided for him: he will be the pawn to beg mercy. Since he was born, Rin wasn’t fated to be a warrior, too fragile and precious; he was special, a man able to give birth, but that is also coming with the almost certainty of death if he tries. And now he is supposed to be a sex slave to Merin, him that doesn’t have any idea of what sex or even the simple contact with a man means. But for once Rin decides to rebel, and proposes to Merin a marriage: he will bear Merin’s child, a child of two kings, someone destined to be powerful and of perfect lineage. If death will come, for Rin it will be better than a life as a slave.

This is for sure a story that appeals to many, but at the same that is not suitable to all. This is a gay version of the Savage Romance, with many of the clichés of that genre, but also with all its attractiveness. It’s not realistic, it’s not about equality in a relationship, it’s about a strong character in relationship with a more fragile one, but fragility doesn’t mean stupidity. Rin is not stupid, he is naïve; he is the first to admit he was not raised to be a leader, and he doesn’t want to be. But at the same time, he is proud of his ancestry, and wants the respect he deserves.

I strongly suggest to approach these two novellas as a whole, and to read both of them close to each other.

elisa.rolle | May 8, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,386,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible