Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse…

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

by Jesse Andrews

English (80)  Spanish (1)  All (81)
"sometimes,you care"

I had high expectations for this book. Judgey,sceptical,high expectations. Part of that was the cover's fault. It said something about "the inevitable comparison to "
'The Fault In Our Stars' "blah blah etc and there ya go. Boom.Instant judgey. Because I read 'The Fault In Our Stars' and I also read the journal,letters,reminiscences by and of Emily and there was gonna be no way that a fictional account of that world could measure up.

Turns out,it wasn't even trying to. Turns out,it didn't care to try. Turns out,it knows it's an epically untalented, ridiculously deluded-into-thinking-it-could-even-try-to-say-anything-relevant and it honestly can't stop to care about how it's gonna be recieved. It just is,because the writer had to. And that is what makes it weirdly truthful. And relatable. And quietly,deeply enjoyable. It's ok to laugh,and cry. It's ok to feel squirmy because you recognize some of the behaviors. It's ok to feel numb because something just went down and you aren't sure how it affected you. And when you realize a writer just did those things to your mind,you also realize "Huh. wow. Good Job". Especially when,in the beginning,you weren't going to give that writer an opening.

I don't usually write reviews. It feels.....intrusive,and it also feels false. Judging someone's art feels more personal and subjective than judging someone's skin,or their clothing. It's like judging their MIND and I don't like doing it.

But sometimes you care. ( )
  D36613 | Aug 13, 2017 |
"In fact, high school is where we are first introduced to the basic question of life: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad?"

That is probably the only text in this book that I actually liked and agreed with. The rest of this book is complete and utter trash.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a perfect example of how NOT to write. I honestly have no idea how this book managed to make it to the best seller list. I also stand by the fact this should not be labeled as "Young Adult". It should be Adult, even New Adult. I'll even go as far as saying MATURE YA (which is really pretty much New Adult, but hopefully you get my point)

the main character in this book is just a disgusting slime ball. And trust me when I say Earl TOPS disgusting slime ball. He is the type that really makes you wonder how he has friends at all unless he has a gun to their head saying "we are gonna be friends!" Which.... I actually would not put passed him to do.

I admit part of me wanted to feel bad for Earl. I really did. I mean, you have a deadbeat mom and dad. Your house is falling apart covered in dog poop, vomit, dirty clothes.... The works of any hoodrat. But then I thought, well, I can't feel bad because there are plenty of people in that same situation and still manage to make straight A's, clean the poop and vomit. Ya know. the HUMANE thing to do. And of course we can't exactly feel bad for him when 1) he is a drug dealer and 2) the fact for 2 pages plus more scattered through this book he continuously says degrading things such as "You gonna eat her pussy?" "You better eat dat pussy." "Ew bro ain't nobody trying to hear vagina! that's nasty!" among much more trash along those lines.
Earl turns my stomach. I'm not even kidding. Every time he was brought up, I just wanted to puke.

Do I really need to bring up the 13 year old "TRU NIGGA" neck tattooed, drug dealing, drop out, brother that knocked up some chick? Or is that pretty self explanatory?

Can you believe I hated this book so bad, I literally can not remember the main characters name? Oh well, don't really care. he really is no better. He is crude and makes my skin crawl. He reminds me of one of those creepers that just stand there wide eyed watching your every move throwing out the vibe "I'm going to watch you poop" or something. Ugh!

I noticed a lot of times he went on and on about all these groups that hate each other and the trick to surviving high school is to be in with all of them without them knowing...and he thought he was "all that" because he managed to do that..... I really wonder if it ever crossed his mind that he was THAT much of a loser that he isn't in with ANY group, that they just tiny nod at him in hopes that he won't bother them because really no one likes him. Like even the "gothy dorks" and losers want nothing to do with him. Hmmmmmm..... Would make perfect sense if you ask me. and I hated how he guilt tripped that girl into talking to him. He lied through his dang teeth and made her feel bad. Words really don't cover how low that is and how much it pissed me off.

I have never hated a main character so much in my life and that is saying a lot. Than again, I don't think I have ever hated a book as much as I have this one. Even the parents made me roll my eyes. They are so freaking oblivious to what is going on.

This book was just terrible. The constant change between novel to screen play made me want to scream. The narration was cringe-worthy. The whole "this book is so stupid, why are you still reading" really made me ask myself why the hell I was. But people kept telling me it gets better, it gets better. eerrrrr.....no. No it didn't. Anywho, back to the narration the whole "I should punch myself in the eyeball/I punched myself in the eyeball/you should punch yourself in the eyeball for reading this" on and on and on and on... like really dude? What the hell is the point of saying that? It's stupid and pointless.

I would never in my life recommend this book. There are much better books out there. This is not one of them. ( )
  FearStreetZombie | Jun 4, 2017 |
This book is truly a departure from a dying cancer type book. It was a little close to The Fault in our Stars. I actually laughed out loud at times while reading. But then at the chapter, The End of our Lives, no more laughing. I would like to meet Jesse Andrews. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Stay tuned for the vlog review. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
I honestly don't know if I could write a review of this book, because I honestly don't know what exactly I just read. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. I liked it, but I just don't know what the point was. I hope the movie will be better.

ETA-- I actually did end up doing a review of the book. Link below!

http://southernbredsouthernread.blogspot.com/2015/04/me-and-earl-and-dying-girl-... ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
So in order to understand everything that happened, you have to start from the premise that high school sucks.

Egy ​​kis barátságba még nem halt bele senki.
Greg Gaines, a különc kamasz mindent megtesz, hogy bármelyik iskolai társaságban elvegyüljön, vagyis láthatatlan maradjon. Egyetlen barátja van, Earl, akivel kultikus művészfilmekért rajonganak, és szabadidejükben nagy lelkesedéssel és minimális tehetséggel újraforgatják a kedvenceiket.
Egy nap az édesanyja ráveszi Greget, hogy élessze újra barátságát Rachellel.
Rachelnél leukémiát diagnosztizáltak, és Greg eleve hadilábon áll a lányokkal, de anyja utasításának kénytelen engedelmeskedni. Ráadásul, hogy felvidítsa Rachelt, Earllel kamerát ragad, és így nem csak a valaha készült legrosszabb film születik meg, hanem fordulópont jön el mindannyiuk életében.

Jesse Andrews Pittsburghben született, de sok helyen élt már San Sebastiántól Berlinen át Los Angelesig. Regényíró, zenész és forgatókönyvíró. A Harvardon végzett, később írt úti beszámolókat, dolgozott idegenvezetőként és egy német diákszálló recepciósaként. Az Én meg Earl, és a csaj, aki meg fog halni az első regénye.

Seventeen-year-old Greg has managed to become part of every social group at his Pittsburgh high school without having any friends, but his life changes when his mother forces him to befriend Rachel, a girl he once knew in Hebrew school who has leukemia.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible