Notes to Self by Avery Sawyer

Notes to Self

by Avery Sawyer

9718124,414 (4)None

My thoughts:

I was immediately sucked in to this story and to Robin's plight. Raw and emotional from the get-go, Sawyer packs a punch. A fairly short read, I gobbled this book up quickly. I could not stop turning to pages to find out what would happen next. Desperately seeking answers to the mystery of that night and the mystery of Robin herself, I was certainly on the edge of my seat while reading.
Robin was a character that I quite liked. She was multidimensional and I thoroughly enjoyed discovering who she is along with her. The concept of writing notes to herself, about such simple things like "how to shower" was also just so interesting to me. You don't realize how much of your life is on auto-pilot until you're forced to think about it. Notes to Self reminded me how fragile life is, and not to take it for granted.

This book absolutely touched me. It was just such a powerful and moving story. I HIGHLY recommend this book. Be prepared for an emotionally charged book that will leave you open and raw at the close. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
This is a coming of age tale with a twist. Robin has suffered a traumatic brain injury after a fall. She doesn't remember what happened, and in the process of her recovery she learns about herself and the people around her, reexamining her relationships from a new perspective.

This is a beautiful and powerful story. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
Read more reviews at RJ Does Books!

Beautiful and emotionally gripping, NOTES TO SELF touches base with an interesting concept—brain injury and fighting to remember the events of what happened before. It is something that is plausible and has also been a theme in several other books and films, though it does not entirely conform into those molds. It holds its own, and in some parts, reaches new heights.

Robin was an interesting character. Though some parts dragged the slightest bit, the story itself progressed at a nice rate and flowed quite nicely. I don't think there was a character I couldn't stand to read, which is always a good thing. It's always fascinating to see an author take a rough theme or topic and turn it into something great!

Avery Sawyer's Notes to Self will have you experience many emotions from the very beginning to the absolute end. I would like to thank the author for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review! And as a note to the FTC, I would like to add that receiving this book for review did not influence or affect my honest review in any way. ( )
  RJGonzales | May 11, 2013 |
This is a great Young Adult novel about a teenage girl who, after falling off an amusement park ride and acquiring a Traumatic Brain Injury, finds herself viewing the world with fresh eyes. When I read this story, I felt that I might not have liked the pre-injury version of Robin very much. She seemed to focus on superficial friendships and relationships. She was very close to her best friend, Emily, but she also pushed away an even older friend, Reno. Robin had been extremely close to Reno as a child, but when she got older and met Emily, she began seeing Reno as nerdy and annoying. She also drew away from her mother, something many teenagers do, and she seemed to idealize her father, who has pulled a disappearing act. After her injury, Robin is alienated by the other student at school, but it is her mother and Reno who support her endlessly. Robin also has to deal with the fact that Emily remains in a coma, and might not wake up.

I mentioned in my Young Adult books blog that I felt this story could be a metaphor for life. Sometimes we go blindly through life, taking for granted the people and things around us. And for some of us, it takes a "fall" to "wake" us and make us take another look at our selves and our lives.

Notes To Self is about friendship, and family, and appreciating what you have... all mixed into a story that is not sappy or preachy. I am so glad I read it... and I hope you read it too! ( )
  AngelNicki | Oct 6, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Avery Sawyer's book Notes to Self was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Laura Schaefer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible