The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming…

The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country

by Peter Bane

I've got several books on Permaculture and I haven't read this book, but after browsing it, if I was to choose my first permaculture book, I think this would be a good choice. ( )
  PaulBoundy | Jul 16, 2013 |

The urban landscape has swallowed vast swaths of prime farmland across North America. Imagine how much more self-reliant our communities would be if thirty million acres of lawns were made productive again. Permaculture is a practical way to apply ecological design principles to food, housing, and energy systems, making growing fruits, vegetables, and livestock easier and more sustainable.

The Permaculture Handbook is a step-by-step, beautifully illustrated guide to creating resilient and prosperous households and neighborhoods, complemented by extensive case studies of three successful farmsteads and market gardens. This comprehensive manual casts garden farming as both an economic opportunity and a strategy for living well with less money. It shows how, by mimicking the intelligence of nature and applying appropriate technologies such as solar and environmental design, permaculture can:

Create an abundance of fresh, nourishing local produce Reduce dependence on expensive, polluting fossil fuels Drought-proof our cities and countryside Convert waste into wealth

Permaculture is about working with the earth and with each other to repair the damage of industrial overreach and to enrich the living world that sustains us. The Permaculture Handbook is the definitive practical North American guide to this revolutionary practice, and is a must-read for anyone concerned about creating food security, resilience, and a legacy of abundance rather than depletion.

Peter Bane is a permaculture teacher and site designer who has published and edited Permaculture Activist magazine for over twenty years. He helped create Earthaven Ecovillage in North Carolina, and is now pioneering suburban farming in Bloomington, Indiana.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

A step-by-step, illustrated guide to creating resilient and prosperous households and neighborhoods across America introduces permaculture as a practical way to live well with less money, convert waste into wealth, reduce dependence on fossil fuels, and increase the availability of local produce.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible