Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1) by Alycia…

Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)

by Alycia Linwood

In this story, people aren’t normal as we all are… everyone has a element – Fire, Water, Earth or Air. But thats not all, those who don’t have any element are known as magic disease carriers, these are the one’s who can suck out other people’s element – the hated ones.

Ria, the protagonist of the story is a serious magic disease carrier hater, she wants all of them killed. They don’t deserve to live. BUT her life takes a big U-turn when she has to have the famous rich carrier – Adrian, as a classmate and then the boyfriend of her best friend who is dead set on finding the cure to the disease… Wait, thats not the least of her problems…. she has to face bigger problems when Ria suddenly finds the symptoms of disease in herself and has to seek aid from the one she loathes – Adrian.

Go and read the book which will keep you on your toes and curious ! ( )
  Zil_Sheth | Jun 26, 2015 |
I loved the concept of the story, but the book had so many grammatical errors on the first page that I couldn't get passed it. I suggest having the book professionally edited and then republished so that the errors do not take away from the content. ( )
  eheinlen | Jan 13, 2014 |
ISBN: 9781465782014
Publisher: Self / Indie
Pages: -

Dangerous is about Ria, an 18 year old girl who has just started going to the University Of Magic, which is a special university for those who have one of the four elements (fire, water earth or air).
At the University Of Magic she meets Michael, a boy whose element is different from hers, which makes their romantic involvement seem impossible because mixing of elements can have horrible consequences. Like Magic Disease.
She also feels threatened by Adrian, a very dangerous magic disease carrier. Magic Disease, which surged as a result of bad mixing of elements, turns people into cold-hearted killers, who have a strong desire to take someone's element as they do not have their own. Ria's best friend, Paula, is fascinated by Adrian like most of the girls at the University and wants him to help her with her research about the disease. All Ria's beliefs are put to the test when she starts having the symptoms of the disease and the only person she can turn to is Adrian.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and can't wait to read the next book in the Element Preservers series! It was well written and well thought out. I loved the concept of elements being used as a form of magic, it reminded me a little of the House Of Night series by P. C. Cast & Kristin Cast and also a little of Avatar The Last Airbender. My favourite characters were Ria, who won me over with her fiery personality and wit, and Adrian who won me over with his sarcasm and love of all things dangerous.

Available at Amazon.co.uk. ( )
  Rai29 | Jun 26, 2012 |
*Received e-book through Read It and Reap program from the Shut Up and Read! Goodreads group from author for an honest review
**also posted on Amazon.com under Leanne

Dangerous is told by the point-of-view of Ria Milanez, a privileged university student, who holds the element of fire. In this alternate world, magic has always been present, with people being gifted by the God of Magic with one element. The only caveat for this gift was that the elements remain “pure” and unmixed by not breeding with different elementals. As people broke this rule, magic disease carriers (those with no element) emerged, and they had the ability to infect others through sexual contact and kill others in order to steal their elements for themselves. Although the stolen element would fade with time, magic disease carriers could and most likely would continue killing to replenish their magic and this made them feared by the uninfected. Ria has grown up in an upper class family, one with a very pure elemental line, and with the belief that magic disease carriers should be feared and isolated from the general magic population. As she attends school, her beliefs are questioned and contested as she develops feelings for a water elemental, Michael, and when she encounters a famous magic disease carrier, Adrian.

I thought Linwood was quite successful in creating an intriguing world with a distinctive concept. It was clever of her to use a prologue-type introduction to explain the details of it as it greatly helped set up my understanding of Ria’s reactions since the plot starts quickly with the introductions of Michael and Adrian. Without that, I believe Ria would have been less likeable as she did have rather prejudicial dialogue. In addition, Linwood did a commendable job in character development. For example, she slowly flushed out the character of Adrian, whom I detested in the first half of the book, and revealed enough of his history and circumstances such that I eventually ended up sympathizing with him. Furthermore, I loved the complexities that arise as Ria’s best friend, Paula, falls for the dangerous Adrian, while his interest lay with Ria. I enjoyed Ria’s struggle to protect her friend, while resisting Adrian’s advances. This becomes truly difficult as she begins to see Adrian in a different light versus that of just a magic disease carrier, and with the shocking twist that Linwood introduces in the middle of the book.

Overall, Dangerous was an entertaining, fast read with an interesting concept with the magic disease carriers. I did become engrossed in this book (finished in two sittings) and felt that it had dynamic characters and a titillating cliffhanger ending to warrant reading the sequel, despite the grammatical errors. I would recommend this to young adult readers, who are fans of paranormal romances, such as the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent. ( )
  LeanneSF | May 24, 2012 |
Very interesting book. Compelling story with a wonderful set of characters. Really loved this world which is not very common for me. Not a big fan of witch books, I usually get bored within the 1st couple of lines, but is a very enjoyable reading. Totally worth it. Some grammatical errors that make you pause and re-read a couple of lines to understand them. Nothing that can't be solved.
Very smart cliffhanger. Really makes me anxious to read the sequel. Go Alycia! ( )
  ana.s.rodrigues | Feb 6, 2012 |

From Amazon:

Ria is an 18-year-old girl who has just started going to the University of Magic, a special university for those who have one of the four elements: fire, water, air and earth. There she meets Michael, a boy whose element is different from hers, which makes their romantic involvement seem impossible because mixing of elements can have horrible consequences. She also feels threatened by Adrian, a very dangerous magic disease carrier. Ria's best friend, Paula, is fascinated by Adrian like most of the girls at the University and wants him to help her with her research about the disease. All Ria's beliefs are put to test when she starts having the symptoms of the disease and the only person she can turn to is Adrian.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Alycia Linwood's book Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Alycia Linwood is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,977,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible