The Edge by Catherine Coulter

The Edge

by Catherine Coulter

Series: FBI Thriller (4)

Didnt like this book but I did the first three in the series and will continue on with the rest. One thing I dont understand it why she threw in a first person book in the series - none of the others were that way. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
In Coulter’s mystery novel, Max arrives in Oregon to find that Jilly has come out of her coma only to disappear a few hours later. As Max heads out to find her, he discovers that everyone has a different take on what really happened, including the local sheriff. When a local man is murdered, Max doesn’t initially suspect that it’s connected to his sister’s disappearance until the FBI joins in on the search.

Fast-paced, hard to put down. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jun 13, 2014 |
Ummm, I’m not exactly sure what to think about this book. I do love Catherine Coulter and I’m rarely disappointed in her books. But, this one makes me think she’s trying a bit too hard with this whole FBI series (which all starts with The Cove). The story is good. There are a lot of plot twists. I just not happy with the book. Maybe it’s the male first person point of view. Worth reading to get the whole series, but don’t try it as a Coulter first. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
First off, I liked this book. It wasn't boring. It was more than fluff, less than hard-boiled. I'd recommend it. The reason that I'm saying this up front is that there were a few issues I had with the writing, but they weren't major enough to affect my rating.

I found it really, REALLY obvious that this was written by a woman. The protagonist is a 29-year old Joe Stud He-Man FBI agent Anti-terrorism operative. Joe Stud then proceeds to share things like how he likes to walk holding hands (along the cliffs above the ocean, no less), and loves flower gardens. He even said, "Hold me... I need you" and "I was so afraid, I thought I might cry." Puh-leeze.

It is also difficult to read a book set in a specific location by someone who hasn't spent much, if any time, in that location. I know it's done all the time, but just for the record? You're not going to get out of the rental-car lot at the Portland (OR) airport and be at the coast within an hour... at least nowhere on the coast that will allow you to just pop over to Salem to feed your friend's cat.

The audio-book reader was just fine; his style didn't get in the way of the story. One thing (again for those in the Pacific Northwest) - he didn't get the memo on the proper pronuciation of some of the locations. Try not to laugh. ( )
  FiberBabble | Mar 30, 2013 |
The audio version of this almost had me laughing. Robert Lawrence reads with what I would call a cheerful, choppy sort of effort. However, I immediately wondered if it was really the writing and if I would feel the same way if I were reading the book. The story line was just enough to keep me listening to find out what happened. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 22, 2010 |

Coulter, Catherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawrence, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wittich, GertrudTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Mac dreams of sister going over cliff. She disappears. Involved in development of new drug. Laura undercover DEA agent. Kidnapped to jungle of Costa Rica.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515128600, Mass Market Paperback)

Setting: Edgerton, Oregon, present day
Sensuality Rating: 7

Following the success of The Cove, The Maze, and The Target, Coulter again delights readers with her latest offering, The Edge. Recovering in a D.C. hospital from a Tunisian car bomb accident, FBI agent Ford MacDougal awakens from a violent dream in which his sister Jilly drives off a cliff and into the ocean. Ford feels her fear as well as her anger and agony over the betrayal by someone named Laura, and shares the utter stillness as the frigid waters engulf her. The next morning, he receives the news that Jilly was indeed in a car accident. And when he arrives in Edgerton, Oregon, it quickly becomes obvious that something mysterious and deadly is going on in the quiet, little town. Add a quirky cast of characters, including a sexy, undercover DEA agent named--you guessed it--Laura, a drug that improves sex exponentially but has the unfortunate side effect of making its users psychotic, and you've got all the ingredients for a fast-paced, can't-put-down thriller. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

After his sister is in a horrible car accident and then vanishes from the hospital, FBI agent Ford MacDougal, along with agents Lacey Sherlock and Dillon Savich, learns that the murder of an elderly woman is linked mysteriously to his sister's disappearance.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible