Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles by Brian K.…

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (edition 2003)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan

Member:sharrow
Title:Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan
Info:Vertigo (2003), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:GLBT Romance, Your library

Y: The Last Man Vol. 2: Cycles by Brian K. Vaughan

An amazing concept complimented by the uncluttered and visually pleasant cartooning style.
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
This series is shaping up to be one of my all time favorites.

When we last left Yorick, he was trying to travel across the United States with the help of Agent 355 and Dr. Mann. This is especially difficult when most roadways are blocked with abandoned vehicles and other large obstacles. Therefore, the best route of travel? Train. The trip is interrupted quickly when attacked by a gang of women separate from the Amazons. Once again, their journey is thrown into disarray. To go any further in the plot description would throw some major spoilerific elements your way, so I'll stop right here.

Going back to that opening sentence of mine - I really hated putting that in there. I mean, I've only just finished the 2nd book (of ten)! However, I honestly feel that way. In the second collection, we are given a whole hell of a lot of character development and story progression. Not only are we witness to several high anxiety confrontations but A LOT of revelations as well. All of these characters stay interesting especially considering Brian K. Vaughn just keeps throwing more people at us. You never get that feeling that Vaughn is trying to stretch the story out in a way that's not needed - length for the sake of it.

It probably goes without saying, but the artwork is fantastic. It plays out like watching a great action movie. Pia Guerra does an excellent job displaying Vaughn's vision with quick cutting and suspense building images.

I have high hopes for the remainder of this series. The only problem in getting these from my local library is waiting until the next one is available. Probably should've done the smart thing and taken them out all at once. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Fairly predictable ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
I liked the first volume a lot, but this one really hooked me. Volume 3 is already en route as I type. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
This comic is freaking awesome. I love the art, I love the story. It makes me sad that it ends after 10 volumes, but I will have to survive. I’m soo glad I started reading graphic novels again. Seriously, read this if you haven’t already.

The first story is very amusing with a quick slam on Republicans. Writer has a seriously good sense of humor. Hero discovers her brother might be alive and story 1 ends with a great line.

Story 2, things are heating up. Hero has confirmation that Yorrick is alive. Yorrick is in a town full of women who are hiding a big secret, while 355 is hurt.

Story 3 And just when I thought the story was starting to get a little slow the secret of the town in Ohio is revealed. The woman are actually released prisoners. It ends dramatically when Hero shows up where Yorrick is.

Story 4 Hero tries to capture Yorrick but Sonia saves him only to be killed by Hero. Yorrick is discusted by his sister and threatens to kill her.

Story 5. Crap. Soldiers are comming after Yorrick. Damn this comic is good!

MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzan Jr., JoseIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"I have to get out of Boston."
"You know, I've eaten so many canned peaches over the last few months, I actually shat a cobbler last night."

A plague of unknown origin has killed all of the male mammals on Earth- all except an amateur escape artist named Yorick Brown and his surly helper monkey, Ampersand.
AS the last remaining Y-chromosome carriers on the planet, Yorick and his pet hold the fate of humanity in their hands. To ensure the survival of the species, they've teamed up with a gun-toting government agent and the world's premiere bioengineer to discover the secret behind the plague.

It's 2002, and a plague of unknown origin has killed all of the male mammals on Earth-all except an amateur escape artist named Yorick Brown and his surly helper monkey, Ampersand. As the last remaining &-chromosome carriers on the planet, Yorick and his pet hold the fate of humanity in their hands. To ensure the survival of the species, they've teamed up with a gun-toting government agent and the world's premier bioengineer to discover the secret behind the plague. But while they ride the rails across a radically transformed America, the man-hating Daughters of the Amazon are right behind them-and an unplanned stopover in the seemingly utopian town of Marrisville, Ohio may mean the end of the line for the Last Man.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible