Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles by Brian K.…

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (edition 2003)

by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan

Member:sharrow
Title:Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Other authors:Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan
Info:Vertigo (2003), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:GLBT Romance, Your library

Y: The Last Man Vol. 2: Cycles by Brian K. Vaughan

At the end of Unmanned [BKL F 1 03], Yorick Brown, apparently the last man alive (hence the series title Y: The Last Man); 355, the mysterious agent guarding him; and Allison Mann, the cloning scientist who might figure out why Yorick survived, were watching Mann's Boston lab burn and mulling their options. Cycles begins with Yorick, disguised by a gas mask, trading a motorcycle for access to a boxcar heading west. The trio has opted for California, where Mann has backup files. They are obliged to stop in Ohio, however, after two hobos toss Yorick off the train and 355 sustains a concussion when she jumps after him. As 355 recovers, the latter-day Amazons who nearly killed Yorick in Unmanned track him down. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to all the other characters, an Israeli military team that also wants Yorick has reached Massachusetts. The artwork in this apocalyptic variation on The Fugitive remains pedestrian; though by avoiding panoramas and spectacle, it makes this a story about people rather than lurid action.
  GalenWiley | Apr 9, 2015 |
An amazing concept complimented by the uncluttered and visually pleasant cartooning style.
  IsotropicJoseph | Apr 28, 2014 |
This series is shaping up to be one of my all time favorites.

When we last left Yorick, he was trying to travel across the United States with the help of Agent 355 and Dr. Mann. This is especially difficult when most roadways are blocked with abandoned vehicles and other large obstacles. Therefore, the best route of travel? Train. The trip is interrupted quickly when attacked by a gang of women separate from the Amazons. Once again, their journey is thrown into disarray. To go any further in the plot description would throw some major spoilerific elements your way, so I'll stop right here.

Going back to that opening sentence of mine - I really hated putting that in there. I mean, I've only just finished the 2nd book (of ten)! However, I honestly feel that way. In the second collection, we are given a whole hell of a lot of character development and story progression. Not only are we witness to several high anxiety confrontations but A LOT of revelations as well. All of these characters stay interesting especially considering Brian K. Vaughn just keeps throwing more people at us. You never get that feeling that Vaughn is trying to stretch the story out in a way that's not needed - length for the sake of it.

It probably goes without saying, but the artwork is fantastic. It plays out like watching a great action movie. Pia Guerra does an excellent job displaying Vaughn's vision with quick cutting and suspense building images.

I have high hopes for the remainder of this series. The only problem in getting these from my local library is waiting until the next one is available. Probably should've done the smart thing and taken them out all at once. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Fairly predictable ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
I liked the first volume a lot, but this one really hooked me. Volume 3 is already en route as I type. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |

Brian K. Vaughanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzan Jr., JoseIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"I have to get out of Boston."
"You know, I've eaten so many canned peaches over the last few months, I actually shat a cobbler last night."

A plague of unknown origin has killed all of the male mammals on Earth- all except an amateur escape artist named Yorick Brown and his surly helper monkey, Ampersand.
AS the last remaining Y-chromosome carriers on the planet, Yorick and his pet hold the fate of humanity in their hands. To ensure the survival of the species, they've teamed up with a gun-toting government agent and the world's premiere bioengineer to discover the secret behind the plague.

It's 2002, and a plague of unknown origin has killed all of the male mammals on Earth-all except an amateur escape artist named Yorick Brown and his surly helper monkey, Ampersand. As the last remaining &-chromosome carriers on the planet, Yorick and his pet hold the fate of humanity in their hands. To ensure the survival of the species, they've teamed up with a gun-toting government agent and the world's premier bioengineer to discover the secret behind the plague. But while they ride the rails across a radically transformed America, the man-hating Daughters of the Amazon are right behind them-and an unplanned stopover in the seemingly utopian town of Marrisville, Ohio may mean the end of the line for the Last Man.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,901,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible