Someone Special, Just Like You by Tricia…

Someone Special, Just Like You

by Tricia Brown

This book depicts children of various special needs. It lets children know that children with special needs are people too. They like to do things other children like to do.
  VLYNNEREESE | Feb 17, 2016 |
Summary:
Each page is of a child that has a disability or mental issue, and they are doing something that was fun or something every kid needs and wants no matter who they are. That even special needs kids like to play and have fun. They cry when they are hurt. They dance and swing. They help friends. They love sweet kisses and hugs. The pages are all black and white photographs.
Personal Reaction:
Since I am going into special education I really liked this book. I thought it was a simple way to show that each child needs the same basic things no matter how different they may be. I think it is a good book for younger kids to be able to see the pictures.
Extension Ideas:
Have them each draw a picture representing things they need and love to do. ( )
  SarahSpangler0515 | Apr 15, 2015 |
This book is about how children with special needs are not that different than other children and how they can do anything that any other child can do they just may need a few adaptations.
  CindiH | Mar 11, 2015 |
This book is about Children with special needs or disabilities. It shows other children that these children are no different, and like to do many of the same activities. They love to play time, ice cream, slides, and toys. This book shows real pictures of children with some disabilities playing, and doing normal daily activities.

Reaction: I worked with children with disabilities for 2 years. This book is a great example of how children can do the same activities as others, and enjoy the same shows, and love the same types of food.

Extension: Ask children to bring in pictures of their families to show diversity. Write a list of all of our favorite activities and post it for all to see.
  MelodyJobe | Mar 26, 2014 |
Summary of book: Special needs children do have disabilities, and need extra help with daily tasks unlike other children. This book shows kids how special needs children are different in there own special way, but also how they are the same as the rest of the children. They book shows how they might walk, hear, or see things differently, but they also like to play, blow bubbles, or even play instruments just like the other kids.

Personal Reflection: My brother has Down Syndrome, so he is a slower learner than boys his age, but he can still do lots of things that I can do. My brother can do certain things that I cannot do, such as putting both of my feet behind my head at the same time, or even stick my tongue up my nose. He is a very special kid, and I am proud to call him my brother.

Extension Ideas: One idea for the classroom could be to introduce a new special needs child to the classroom, to help the children better understand. Another idea for the classroom is to make a list of ten things the children like to do, or are things they are just good at and then share these things with their groups.
  AmberTrujillo | Mar 25, 2014 |

Tricia Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ortiz, FranPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Brown and Ortiz show that the differences that seem to separate children with handicaps from others are not important. What is important is the common delight in life--a desire to love, learn and play, and to be accepted for themselves as other children are.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:45 -0400)

A portrait of handicapped children at play explores the special qualities of such youngsters that they share with all children as they discover the world around them at home and with their friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible