The Maze by Catherine Coulter

The Maze

by Catherine Coulter

Series: FBI Thriller (2)

English (14)  Czech (1)  All (15)
The Maze
2 Stars

After reading and disliking the first book in this series, I decided not continue. However, I recently discovered a later installment in a box of second hand books and The Maze fit into my Bookshelf Bingo challenge, so I thought I'd give it another chance - big mistake!

The plot starts out well enough with an FBI recruit in search of the serial killer responsible for her sister's death but goes straight downhill from there. The story development is ridiculous and contrived, the writing and dialogue are atrocious and the characterization is just plain weird.

The heroine, Lacey Sherlock, is supposed to be a well-trained, intelligent FBI agent but her TSTL moments abound and the jokes about her name are tedious. The hero, Dillon Savich, is sexy and the romance and sexual tension are tantalizing but not enough to save the book from being a dud.

The secondary cast is moronic from the smarmy brother-in-law and his rabid new wife to the jealous ex-girlfriend and the pitifully clichéd villain - all are painfully one dimensional and add nothing to the story aside from a number of absurd and perhaps even comic situations that I doubt the author was striving for.

All in all, an unrealistic and poorly written attempt to cash in on the success of Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs. If you want a riveting FBI focused book, read that one instead. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Another great book by Catherine Coulter. I loved reading about how Sherlock and Savich got together!!! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This review is in reference to the audio book version.

The Maze started out so well that I actually began to look forward to reading/listening to the other FBI books that Catherine Coulter has written. However, in part due to the narrator's sometimes sing-song voice, the prose began to grate on me as did the lack of specificity: "The dish was prepared very nicely."

The big flaw here is that the book seems to go on too long. There's a substantial amount of melodrama to go around as well as both the hero and heroine ending up injured numerous times. Also, you know how you always yell at the screen when the woman walks into a dark room, basement, etc. and you wonder how she could be that stupid? Well, our well-trained FBI agent does just that, totally unprepared and beyond incredible.

And, then there are some minor inconsistencies that should have been caught: Dillon's voice being a tenor and then being a baritone. There didn't seem to be any "real" connection between Dillon and Lacey.

After enjoying the initial build up and I do mean excitedly enjoying it because I thought I'd found a wonderful series much like the Stephanie Plum series, I felt let down and amazed how the novel continued to drone on when it should have ended chapters ago. Disappointing. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
OK story, a little too much romance and not enough mystery; somewhat unbelievable that Lacey could get into the FBI with her background ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Feb 7, 2016 |
I dont read alot of this type of novel. Sadistic serial killer stories are really not my preference, but I found myself reading this book, and for a while, I seem to be enjoying the story, even if I was hoping that the killing didnt become too graphic, etc. But around the 2/3 point of the book, it seemed like the author became tired of writing the book and took short cuts, gave in to the lower nature of adolescent sensationalism, for lack of a better way to say it. Some of the significant points in the story were unrealistic (lacey is taken prisoner AGAIN, but allowed to go to the bathroom PRIVATELY before she is taken away to be butchered). Odd, to say the least. But even with this odd turn of events, she still is unable to take advantage of the hidden gun she has in her lower leg holster, but instead, allows herself to be tied up and put in a car to be driven to the warehouse where she will be murdered.
This is just one fine example of 8th grade, hurry and get this book done so I can watch TV, type of writing that characterizes this story. Arent I now amazed to see that Ms. Coulter has several other similar looking and sounding books for me to now choose from. So maybe I can learn something, huh?
Ms. Coulter seems to be pumping out lousy novels routinely. Even so, she is pumping, prospering, and probably laughing all the way to the beach. So, I suppose kudos are in order for her ability to convince the public to buy her poor stories. But I think I will not be one who supports her living any further. Life is too short to be amazed at how poorly a good story is executed. ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |

Coulter, Catherineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cheetham, ErikaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strohm, LeoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It wouldn't stop, ever.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515122491, Mass Market Paperback)

Full of karate, pistol-whipping, and other malevolent mayhem, Catherine Coulter's The Maze could be described as a junior-varsity version of Silence of the Lambs. As in that novel, the heroine in The Maze, Lacey Sherlock, becomes an FBI agent to help unravel the mysteries of her own past. Seven years after her sister was brutally slain by a serial killer (the wonderfully creepy "String Killer"), Lacey is assigned to the FBI's Criminal Apprehension Unit (CAU). The CAU, headed by brawny bureau egghead Dillon Savich, uses computer modeling to catch the baddest guys around--it's like profiling, but with databases. Before you know it, Dillon and Lacey are tangling with the String Killer. Even when the scenarios are not terribly inventive--"Let's use Lacey as bait! What a great idea!"--Coulter makes sure that her bad guys are good and twisted. A touch of bloody-mindedness can cover up a multitude of sins, and on that score, The Maze satisfies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:26 -0400)

Lacey Sherlock's life is forever changed when her beloved older sister's body is discovered in an abandoned warehouse with multiple stab wounds. Belinda is the fourth victim of the String Killer, the handle the media has given to the serial killer who leads his victims into a maze with a ball of twine. Seven years after Belinda's death, Lacey, now an FBI special agent becomes a member of Dillon Savich's new Criminal Apprehension Unit (CAU), where he has programs to aid in the apprehension of serial killers. When the String Killer strikes again in Boston, Lacey immediately spots his handiwork, resulting in his capture. But did he really kill Belinda? Or was it someone closer to home? Together, Lacey and Dillon must discover the killer's true identity - before they both become the next victims.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible