Amped: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson

Amped: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Daniel H. Wilson

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:novel, 2012

Amped by Daniel H. Wilson

Very Good. Kept my attention the whole way through. A must read for fans of the futuristic, technology based genre! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
Owen Gray is an "amplified" human, meaning he has a technological implant meant to control his epilepsy. Or so he had been told. Turns out this implant gives him special abilities, which, in turn, subjects him to suspicion, bigotry, and danger. He goes underground in search of a safe place to live among other "amps", but the bigots are after him and everyone like him.

A not-so-subtle examination of the fear of the "other". Fast-paced and superficial, but fun. A quick guilty-pleasure read. ( )
  avanta7 | Oct 5, 2014 |
It was okay. Not great. Started out great and got lost along the way. Not going to be in a big hurry to read more of Wilson's books. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 23, 2014 |
This book grabbed me from the first page and I’m thinking Daniel H Wilson is quickly becoming my favorite new author. I loved reading this from cover to cover.

It’s certainly an interesting concept, where we can become ‘amplified’ to enhance ourselves but then you’d have to ask yourselves where the line is crossed and when it’s too much? when does it become out of hand to the point where those with ‘amps’ are then ostracized and become second class citizens. These are all the things to look at while reading this book.

What makes it so good is the action that begins right in the beginning of the book, and all throughout the book which engages the reader and makes the book a non stop read. It’s pretty much fast paced, although through the middle of the book it does slow down but only to give Owen a bit more character development.

As for Owen as a character, I had to admit I’m still not that crazy about him. He’s a bit of a twit. Sure, he looks at the world sometimes through a rose colored lens but you’d have to wonder when reality is going to hit him and when he’s going to react. It’s not until he’s actually FORCED with his back to the wall type of scenario to finally act. He does seem to be a bit blind to what’s going on around him and his fellow Amps.

The villains in this book are very well done. They’re awesome bad guys (Lyle moreso. Vaughn’s just a jerk). They’re so bad you’re not sure if you want to hate them (like Vaughn) or like them because they do such a good job at being bad (like Lyle). Overall the characters in the book are pretty well written. The only one character I wasn’t too keen on was Lucy, because I thought she was just there to play a romantic love interest and that was it. She didn’t really contribute much for this book in my opinion.

The writing style is good. Nothing fancy or so wordy when it comes to the ‘high tech’ part that you’ll be left looking through wikipedia on some of the terminology and all you get are metaphysical answers. Thankfully this book has none of that so even if you’re not much of a sci fi fan, you should give this book a try. The action packed writing should be enough to get you going!

I’m definitely going to put Daniel H Wilson on my authors to watch for list. I really liked his style of writing so I’ll be looking for more works by him. Definitely recommended for those that want an action packed read. Sci fi readers might enjoy this also (even those who don’t care much for high tech speak!) ( )
  sensitivemuse | Sep 16, 2014 |
Well-done sci-fi
  dgooler | Jul 1, 2014 |
We can change ourselves.
Think of the possibilities.

- Carl Sagan
For Genieve Wilson
I'm standing on the steep slate roof of Allderdice High School,  gripping a rain-spattered wrought iron decoration in one hand and holding up my other hand, palm out.

Technology makes them superhuman. But mere mortals want them kept in their place. The New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse creates a stunning, near-future world where technology and humanity clash in surprising ways. The result? The perfect summer blockbuster.

As he did in Robopocalypse, Daniel Wilson masterfully envisions a frightening near-future world. In Amped, people are implanted with a device that makes them capable of superhuman feats. The powerful technology has profound consequences for society, and soon a set of laws is passed that restricts the abilities—and rights—of "amplified" humans. On the day that the Supreme Court passes the first of these laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a new persecuted underclass known as "amps." Owen is forced to go on the run, desperate to reach an outpost in Oklahoma where, it is rumored, a group of the most enhanced amps may be about to change the world—or destroy it.

Once again, Daniel H. Wilson's background as a scientist serves him well in this technologically savvy thriller that delivers first-rate entertainment, as Wilson takes the "what if" question in entirely unexpected directions. Fans of Robopocalypse are sure to be delighted, and legions of new fans will want to get "amped" this summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:45 -0400)

In a near-future world where technologically enhanced humans are governed by a strict set of conduct laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a persecuted underclass that is planning to change, or destroy, the world.

65 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible