Amped: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson

Amped: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Daniel H. Wilson

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:novel, 2012

Amped by Daniel H. Wilson

Neural implants can end seizures, mitigate birth defects, or overcome injuries, but they can also create super-human soldiers. The protagonist, a high school teacher, suffers brain damage from an accident as a child, and his father, a surgeon, implants an illegal, military-grade neural chip in his head to allow him to lead a normal life. But people with such chips are not seen as normal by some. They are enhanced and thus no longer purely human. Set in the near future, this is a story of the promise of new technology, how it can be used and misused, and the Luddites who fear it. Neither side in the conflict is good or evil, right or wrong...until people do what they often do and allow their fears and biases to overrule reason and take matters to extremes. This sounds like the premise for a superhero comic, and in some ways this short novel is one, but it's not outrageous or especially unbelievable. I can see something like this actually happening. This book is very well done for what it is, and I found it an enjoyable short read on a rainy afternoon. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
In a not-so-distant future, computer technology has advanced to the point where people can receive small brain implants to "cure" various medical conditions. A small computer chip attached to the surface of the brain can heal severe brain damage, epilepsy, and other neurological conditions. The "problem" is the implant also severely increases intelligence. Non-implanted (ie, stupid) Americans became enraged, saying their non-implanted (ie, stupid) children are at a disadvantage in the classroom, which sets off a wave of hateful, discriminatory violence.

This could have been a great book. It certainly has a great premise, and it started off brilliantly, but it unfortunately fell apart almost immediately after the introduction. I had two major issues with it, the plot jumped forward jarringly between every chapter, and the character interaction was atrociously bad. The story reminded me of the stories of video games where stories aren't a big focus, something like Call of Duty. Each chapter is a huge leap forward in time, each giving only a tiny snapshot of what is happening, and the "story" that is supposed to string all these is weak and flimsy.

The only time I enjoyed the book was when no one was speaking. The main character's internal monologue worked for me, and this is what made the beginning of the book so enjoyable, but as soon as he opens his mouth to speak to someone everything began to feel one-dimensional. I didn't like any of the characters with the exception of Nick, who is the only bright spot in the whole novel. I didn't like the love interest, who barely has a presence at all, and all the secondary characters might as well have not existed at all.

The book would get 5 stars for concept, but the execution is an absolute fail for me. Thankfully, I only paid a $1 for this at a dollar store. ( )
  Ape | Aug 24, 2016 |
The premise intrigued me, and the beginning was fine. But then I realized that I've seen this theme done to death. And this book is hyped as a thriller. So, I wondered, where will this go that will make it worth reading? I skipped to the end and read the last few pages and found that it really doesn't go anywhere. It sure looks to me like a short story expanded by a big chunk of page-turning action-adventure. Which is fine for plenty of people, but I'm not interested.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Not quite as good as Robopocalypse but a respectable follow up . Amped presents an all too possible scenario as we inexorably advance toward an age of transhumanism. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I love Daniel H. Wilson and his books are always wonderful. This book was not a robot book but it was still a good sci-fi read. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
We can change ourselves.
Think of the possibilities.

- Carl Sagan
For Genieve Wilson
I'm standing on the steep slate roof of Allderdice High School,  gripping a rain-spattered wrought iron decoration in one hand and holding up my other hand, palm out.

Technology makes them superhuman. But mere mortals want them kept in their place. The New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse creates a stunning, near-future world where technology and humanity clash in surprising ways. The result? The perfect summer blockbuster.

As he did in Robopocalypse, Daniel Wilson masterfully envisions a frightening near-future world. In Amped, people are implanted with a device that makes them capable of superhuman feats. The powerful technology has profound consequences for society, and soon a set of laws is passed that restricts the abilities—and rights—of "amplified" humans. On the day that the Supreme Court passes the first of these laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a new persecuted underclass known as "amps." Owen is forced to go on the run, desperate to reach an outpost in Oklahoma where, it is rumored, a group of the most enhanced amps may be about to change the world—or destroy it.

Once again, Daniel H. Wilson's background as a scientist serves him well in this technologically savvy thriller that delivers first-rate entertainment, as Wilson takes the "what if" question in entirely unexpected directions. Fans of Robopocalypse are sure to be delighted, and legions of new fans will want to get "amped" this summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

In a near-future world where technologically enhanced humans are governed by a strict set of conduct laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a persecuted underclass that is planning to change, or destroy, the world.

37 wanted2 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,763,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible