Amped: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson

Amped: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Daniel H. Wilson

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:novel, 2012

Amped by Daniel H. Wilson

I love Daniel H. Wilson and his books are always wonderful. This book was not a robot book but it was still a good sci-fi read. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Read this after Robopocalypse and thought it was pretty good but not great.

I loved the idea and the questions it raises. People with implants than can enhance the mental and physical abilities does not sound that original but the way it is handled is. We come into this world several years after people have become Amps. Some of these people have been amped to fix medical conditions but face the same discrimination and mistrust as those that have done in for the enhancement so we have a very relatable tale to some of the problem facing us in the real world.

We follow Owen whose father has given him a special, highly militarised Amp that when used to it's full potential will turn Owen into something far more dangerous than the ordinary person. The Amp he has seems to have several layers and much of the action of the book takes places as he descends deeper and deeper into his powers, getting to the point where he is seeing the future as different permutations for possible outcomes of situations flash across his vision. I loved the idea of the beams of light telling him where and him to move and it what direction and it served as a nice physical representation of the idea.

That being said the action scenes did not really cut it for me and the excitement I felt in the initial scenes as the characters 'amped' did not follow through. The stuff I was really looking forward to never quite happened or was superficially dealt with.

Not as good as his Robo series but worth a glance. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
Very Good. Kept my attention the whole way through. A must read for fans of the futuristic, technology based genre! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
Owen Gray is an "amplified" human, meaning he has a technological implant meant to control his epilepsy. Or so he had been told. Turns out this implant gives him special abilities, which, in turn, subjects him to suspicion, bigotry, and danger. He goes underground in search of a safe place to live among other "amps", but the bigots are after him and everyone like him.

A not-so-subtle examination of the fear of the "other". Fast-paced and superficial, but fun. A quick guilty-pleasure read. ( )
  avanta7 | Oct 5, 2014 |
It was okay. Not great. Started out great and got lost along the way. Not going to be in a big hurry to read more of Wilson's books. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 23, 2014 |
We can change ourselves.
Think of the possibilities.

- Carl Sagan
For Genieve Wilson
I'm standing on the steep slate roof of Allderdice High School,  gripping a rain-spattered wrought iron decoration in one hand and holding up my other hand, palm out.

Technology makes them superhuman. But mere mortals want them kept in their place. The New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse creates a stunning, near-future world where technology and humanity clash in surprising ways. The result? The perfect summer blockbuster.

As he did in Robopocalypse, Daniel Wilson masterfully envisions a frightening near-future world. In Amped, people are implanted with a device that makes them capable of superhuman feats. The powerful technology has profound consequences for society, and soon a set of laws is passed that restricts the abilities—and rights—of "amplified" humans. On the day that the Supreme Court passes the first of these laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a new persecuted underclass known as "amps." Owen is forced to go on the run, desperate to reach an outpost in Oklahoma where, it is rumored, a group of the most enhanced amps may be about to change the world—or destroy it.

Once again, Daniel H. Wilson's background as a scientist serves him well in this technologically savvy thriller that delivers first-rate entertainment, as Wilson takes the "what if" question in entirely unexpected directions. Fans of Robopocalypse are sure to be delighted, and legions of new fans will want to get "amped" this summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

In a near-future world where technologically enhanced humans are governed by a strict set of conduct laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a persecuted underclass that is planning to change, or destroy, the world.

41 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible