Amped: A Novel by Daniel H. Wilson

Amped: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Daniel H. Wilson

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*
Tags:novel, 2012

Amped by Daniel H. Wilson

In a not-so-distant future, computer technology has advanced to the point where people can receive small brain implants to "cure" various medical conditions. A small computer chip attached to the surface of the brain can heal severe brain damage, epilepsy, and other neurological conditions. The "problem" is the implant also severely increases intelligence. Non-implanted (ie, stupid) Americans became enraged, saying their non-implanted (ie, stupid) children are at a disadvantage in the classroom, which sets off a wave of hateful, discriminatory violence.

This could have been a great book. It certainly has a great premise, and it started off brilliantly, but it unfortunately fell apart almost immediately after the introduction. I had two major issues with it, the plot jumped forward jarringly between every chapter, and the character interaction was atrociously bad. The story reminded me of the stories of video games where stories aren't a big focus, something like Call of Duty. Each chapter is a huge leap forward in time, each giving only a tiny snapshot of what is happening, and the "story" that is supposed to string all these is weak and flimsy.

The only time I enjoyed the book was when no one was speaking. The main character's internal monologue worked for me, and this is what made the beginning of the book so enjoyable, but as soon as he opens his mouth to speak to someone everything began to feel one-dimensional. I didn't like any of the characters with the exception of Nick, who is the only bright spot in the whole novel. I didn't like the love interest, who barely has a presence at all, and all the secondary characters might as well have not existed at all.

The book would get 5 stars for concept, but the execution is an absolute fail for me. Thankfully, I only paid a $1 for this at a dollar store. ( )
  Ape | Aug 24, 2016 |
The premise intrigued me, and the beginning was fine. But then I realized that I've seen this theme done to death. And this book is hyped as a thriller. So, I wondered, where will this go that will make it worth reading? I skipped to the end and read the last few pages and found that it really doesn't go anywhere. It sure looks to me like a short story expanded by a big chunk of page-turning action-adventure. Which is fine for plenty of people, but I'm not interested.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Not quite as good as Robopocalypse but a respectable follow up . Amped presents an all too possible scenario as we inexorably advance toward an age of transhumanism. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I love Daniel H. Wilson and his books are always wonderful. This book was not a robot book but it was still a good sci-fi read. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Read this after Robopocalypse and thought it was pretty good but not great.

I loved the idea and the questions it raises. People with implants than can enhance the mental and physical abilities does not sound that original but the way it is handled is. We come into this world several years after people have become Amps. Some of these people have been amped to fix medical conditions but face the same discrimination and mistrust as those that have done in for the enhancement so we have a very relatable tale to some of the problem facing us in the real world.

We follow Owen whose father has given him a special, highly militarised Amp that when used to it's full potential will turn Owen into something far more dangerous than the ordinary person. The Amp he has seems to have several layers and much of the action of the book takes places as he descends deeper and deeper into his powers, getting to the point where he is seeing the future as different permutations for possible outcomes of situations flash across his vision. I loved the idea of the beams of light telling him where and him to move and it what direction and it served as a nice physical representation of the idea.

That being said the action scenes did not really cut it for me and the excitement I felt in the initial scenes as the characters 'amped' did not follow through. The stuff I was really looking forward to never quite happened or was superficially dealt with.

Not as good as his Robo series but worth a glance. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
We can change ourselves.
Think of the possibilities.

- Carl Sagan
For Genieve Wilson
I'm standing on the steep slate roof of Allderdice High School,  gripping a rain-spattered wrought iron decoration in one hand and holding up my other hand, palm out.

Technology makes them superhuman. But mere mortals want them kept in their place. The New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse creates a stunning, near-future world where technology and humanity clash in surprising ways. The result? The perfect summer blockbuster.

As he did in Robopocalypse, Daniel Wilson masterfully envisions a frightening near-future world. In Amped, people are implanted with a device that makes them capable of superhuman feats. The powerful technology has profound consequences for society, and soon a set of laws is passed that restricts the abilities—and rights—of "amplified" humans. On the day that the Supreme Court passes the first of these laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a new persecuted underclass known as "amps." Owen is forced to go on the run, desperate to reach an outpost in Oklahoma where, it is rumored, a group of the most enhanced amps may be about to change the world—or destroy it.

Once again, Daniel H. Wilson's background as a scientist serves him well in this technologically savvy thriller that delivers first-rate entertainment, as Wilson takes the "what if" question in entirely unexpected directions. Fans of Robopocalypse are sure to be delighted, and legions of new fans will want to get "amped" this summer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0400)

In a near-future world where technologically enhanced humans are governed by a strict set of conduct laws, twenty-nine-year-old Owen Gray joins the ranks of a persecuted underclass that is planning to change, or destroy, the world.

37 wanted2 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,184,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible