Wife 22: A Novel by Melanie Gideon

Wife 22: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Melanie Gideon

3719029,183 (3.57)9
Member:CSMcMahon
Title:Wife 22: A Novel
Authors:Melanie Gideon
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, audio
Tags:fiction, contemporary fiction, marriage, relationships, family, midlife, motherhood, california, facebook, friendship, read in 2012

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

The Divorce Papers by Susan Rieger (Anonymous user)

I really liked it! It was very cute and funny, and since the protagonist is only a few years younger than me, I could identify with the whole mid-life, empty-nester, just-the-two-of-us-again storyline. I figured out the ending about halfway through, but still a really enjoyable read. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |

Wife 22 was at times profound and at others, silly. It was a fairly predictable read made annoying by the fact that we had to fish for the questions at the end of the book(easily done with a print copy rather than on your Kindle; all that back and forth annoyed me).

Alice Buckle never really rubbed off on me. I liked William loads better, the young and the old version. They don't make men like that. Not to mention highly disconcerting if your husband went to such lengths to get you to talk to him properly.

I couldn't connect with Zoe or Peter, either. But I did love those letters she wrote to William, Peter and Zoe. They were amazing. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Deals with trying to find the reasons you’re still married after 20 years
  butterkidsmom | Jan 18, 2014 |
Funny and fast paced, but a little predictable.
  Caremelh | Dec 15, 2013 |
I might have recommended this for a breezy, fun, quick, chick-lit beach read. Except for the ending. The ending was ridiculous and preposterous and creepy. It was supposed to be romantic. ICK ICK ICK. ( )
  VenusofUrbino | Oct 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 034552795X, Hardcover)

Q&A with Author Melanie Gideon

Q: Your previous work was your critically acclaimed memoir. What inspired you to turn to fiction, and where did the idea for Wife 22 originate?

A: I was sitting in a bar with a friend. We were well into our second glass of wine, when, in researcher mode, I started asking her questions about her marriage. After she invoked a zone of confidentiality I was amazed at how forthright she was willing to be about everything: love, sex, aging, security, happiness, and parenting. That's when I knew I was on to something. What if an ordinary wife and mother had the opportunity (and most importantly, the anonymity) to admit what she really thought, felt, wished for and dreamed, regretted and longed for in her life and marriage? Thus Wife 22 was born.

Q: Who do you think will connect with this novel, and why? Who is Wife 22?

A: I believe there's a little bit of Wife 22 in all of us, no matter what age, no matter what stage of a relationship you're in: married, single or, "it's complicated!" It's so easy to get stuck in a routine and so hard to get yourself out of it. I think we all yearn to be woken up.

Q: Do you see any similarities between yourself and your heroine, Alice Buckle? Any differences?

A: Well, like Alice, I am about to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary with my husband. Unlike Alice, however, I did not receive an email soliciting me to participate in an anonymous online survey on marital satisfaction. And if I did, I would immediately dump it into my trash folder, because I know, after writing this book, how seductive and dangerous the act of confession can be. There are little bits of me in Alice, sure, but Alice is definitely her own person. Also she's nicer than me. And much more fluent with social media.

Q: You pay homage to Joseph Heller and Catch 22 with the title and with a few circumstances Alice faces during the course of your novel. Can you shed a little light on how that came to be and what it signifies?

A: I think marriage is a sort of Catch 22. It's strange how some of the little quirks and eccentricities of your mate that you found so charming in the beginning--that may have even contributed to you falling in love with them--20 years later are the things that drive you absolutely crazy.

Q: Many of the novel's characters, especially Alice, engage in social media like Facebook and Twitter. How do you think these methods of communication have changed our lives and the relationships we have with others? How have they changed yours?

A: I resisted Facebook and Twitter for a long time, and I confess I still find it challenging to post, tweet or blog. I get incredible stage fright trying to think of something clever to say. People will see it--or worse--ignore it. What if nobody "likes" it? What if nobody comments? It's like middle school every day! Part of what I wanted to explore in Wife 22 was whether social media brought us closer together or pushed us farther apart. I think it does both. I long for the old days when my husband and son and I would watch a TV show together. I mean really watch it, without our attention constantly flickering to the device on our laps. Watching TV in my household is not a passive act. We're always talking back to the TV, commenting, laughing: that's ridiculous, who told her she could sing? On the other hand I learn things about my husband every day through Facebook. New things. What he's thinking, what he's reading, what he's doing. Facebook allows us to be strangers to one another, to be voyeurs, but in a safe way. There's something about that distance that's titillating.

Q: You've said, "Confession is a powerful aphrodisiac." Can you elaborate?

A: Anonymous confession? The chance to tell the absolute truth to a stranger? A stranger who doesn't judge, who listens intently, who asks all the right questions? That's very sexy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:00 -0400)

Baring her soul in an anonymous survey for a marital happiness study, Alice catalogues her stale marriage, unsatisfying job and unfavorable prospects and begins to question virtually every aspect of her life.

339 wanted3 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible