City by Numbers by Stephen T. Johnson

City by Numbers

by Stephen T. Johnson

With just jumping into this book it took me a while to realize what I was actually looking at. I went through the book many times and finally saw how awesome this book really is. I love the way the book lets you see a number within a gorgeous picture and getting excited about it. I think children of any age could enjoy this book. Finding a way to incorporate it into a lesson would be difficult because it doesn't fall within your typical math "lessons" (addition, subtraction, etc..), but understanding the world around us and seeing beyond is also very much apart of appreciating math, so I loved this book. Showing kids how math literally is all around us could start with this book. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Apr 18, 2017 |
No words, just real life pictures are illustrated in City By Numbers, so how is it a counting book? The pictures form the number and it's so creative and children will love finding the numbers. ( )
  maturne2 | Nov 29, 2016 |
I love, love,love this book! It's entirely composed of pictures but each picture is a different number. It's pictures in a city and of nature but there's hidden numbers in each picture. It's so fun to read this and try and figure out where the numbers are hidden. I also think the artwork is beyond gorgeous. ( )
  Paigealyssa | Apr 17, 2016 |
An exercise in seeing the city through an artist's eyes. Trippy. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I did not find this book very helpful. It is suppose to be images taken in a city that somehow have the numbers 1-20 somewhere in the picture. However, some pictures I had to search for a while just to find the number. I am not sure where this book would be useful in the real world. Younger kids may have a hard time finding the numbers, especially if they are first learning them. I don't think that people who do know their numbers would find this interesting because it's just pictures. ( )
  JosephMacAdam | Jan 26, 2014 |
To the memory of my grandfather John Theodore Johnson

Paintings of various sites around New York City--from a shadow on a building to a wrought iron-gate to the Brooklyn Bridge--depict the numbers from one to twenty-one.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,052,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible