Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy…

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good (edition 2012)

by Kevin Smith

Member:kimcampy
Title:Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good
Authors:Kevin Smith
Info:Gotham (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith

2012 (3) 2013 (1) 2014 (1) audio (1) audiobook (3) autobiography (4) biographies (3) biography (3) celebrity (2) ebook (1) film (2) filmmaker (1) hardcover (1) humor (11) Kevin Smith (1) library book (2) memoir (10) movies (4) non-fiction (11) opinions (1) own (2) podcasting (1) ppld (1) read (2) read before (1) read in 2012 (2) signed (2) softback (1) tbf (1) to-read (13)

As someone who loves Kevin Smith, it's no surprise I enjoyed the book. He's a great storyteller and this translates well to books. It's a very interesting read, funny, uplifting and sad at times. He never shies away from being himself and it's nice to feel like you are being included on his journey in life. And as a dad, it's heartwarming to hear how he gushes about his daughter. One of my favorite parts of the book is the essay from his daughter. Why should the man ever care about critics again after that review? ( )
  Rob.Fulks | Jun 21, 2014 |
It's been 10 years since I watched my first Kevin Smith movie. Since then, I've seen all of his films, read all of his books and graphic novels, listened to hundreds of episodes of shows contained on the SModcast network and taken in two live shows. Therefore, it's fair to say that I'm a pretty big fan of his. With that information, it's hard to feel like I'm really reviewing this book given my massive bias. I'm going to give it a shot though.

I knew that even before I picked up this memoir/motivational book, I was going to be confronted with stories and events that I already know a great deal about. If anything, Smith is known by his fans for being incredibly transparent. So much so that no aspect of his life ever seems to be off limits for discussion (look for the chapter when he discusses - in detail - his sexual exploits with one Jennifer Schwalbach, his wife). Given that I generally enjoy going for long walks with my iPod (which I've renamed iSMod - I know, I know), I spend the majority of those long walks listening to him talk about everything from his recent physical (in incredible detail, mind you) to his life-altering obsession with Wayne Gretzky.

I already knew all about topics like the Red State development, the incident on South West and the story about his Dad's passing but he makes it all seem fresh. There's something to be said about his writing - it's pretty effortless.

Despite the fact that with the exception of a few select films in Clerks, Clerks 2, Chasing Amy and Red State, he's usually publically lambasted by critics for his poor efforts. When facing those oh so important opinions whenever he approaches a new direction in life, he often needs to find a way to remain positive.

After answering several questions on Twitter, he had the idea to write a full book dispensing his advice for those who seek it. A self-help or motivational book makes perfect sense for Smith, so it's a wonder he hasn't done this already. Granted, he'll be the first person to tell you that he certainly isn't perfect but he'll also let you know that if he can achieve his dreams then so can you. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I remember watching Kevin Smith’s Clerks and Chasing Amy back in the day – I was big into slacker movies in the 90s. I think those are the only two of Smith’s movies I’ve seen – now I’m more of a romantic comedy kind of girl. Still, I remember the two films fondly; they introduced me to Smith’s humor, and in turn led the way to me listening to this audiobook. Now I know Kevin Smith more as a personality, as well as an annual public speaker at Hall H at Comic-Con. Based on all this I knew I was sure to be entertained and amused with Tough Sh*t.

In Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good, Smith talks about his movie career and his influences from George Carlin to Wayne Gretzky to John Hughes. He dishes on which actors impressed him and which actors pissed him off as he takes you behind the scenes of his movies. Smith also gets the infamous “too fat to fly on Southwest” incident off his chest. Smith acknowledges his family by including a loving recognition of his wife Jen and compares his first date with Jen to Lloyd Dobler asking out Diane Court. Behind it all is some good career advice to get paid doing what you love to do.

Kevin Smith’s story is inspirational – he fell in love with film and followed his dream to be a filmmaker. From his first visit to New York’s Angelika theatre he knew he wanted to follow in the footsteps of Slacker’s Richard Linklater and make films. In fact I learned in this audiobook that Smith made his mark on cinema by creating the bromance film genre. Interesting, right?

The part of me that loves Hollywood gossip ate up Smith’s celebrity stories, from Bruce Willis’ on set bad behavior to his falling out with mentor Harvey Weinstein. Smith also gives a fascinating look at filmmaking when he decides to self distribute his Tarantino-esque film Red State. He also gets some jabs in to the movie critics who love to hate him.

Who better than Kevin Smith to narrate his story? It’s his life and his stories and you can hear the passion and enthusiasm in his voice. His story is very personal, and like his films potty-mouthed at times, and I can’t imagine anyone else narrating the book. Smith is a professional podcaster so is obviously very comfortable behind the mic, and the six hours I listened to this audiobook flew by. His sharp humor, intelligence and knowledge of pop culture made for an entertaining listening experience.

This book is for Kevin Smith fans, those who love movies and pop culture, and those looking for some creative inspiration. If you have six hours to spare and are not easily offended, check out this audiobook. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
Utterly charming, and full of very-true-truisms. If you listen to Kev's podcasts or have seen his Q & As, you know these stories already. You've never heard them fully fleshed out, though. The chapter about what we've all come to think of as "The Southwest Incident" is particularly poignant in written form, whereas he tends to play it more for laughs when spoken. If you're someone who avoids Kev's work because of language, I urge you to look further than yur initial, knee-jerk reaction ti what he's trying to say. You might find that somewhat easier in written form. Excellent book. RECOMMENDED. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
I've been a fan of Kevin Smith (of Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Red State fame - just to name a few) for a long time so when I saw this book I was excited to read it.

First, let me say, if you don't know Kevin Smith be prepared for swearing and some crude humor. If you are offended by that kind of thing don't read this book. But then, if you're offended by that kind of thing you're probably not a big fan of Kevin Smith to begin with.

There's also quite a bit of information about the movie biz that I found quite intriguing and it was fascinating to hear from the man himself about some of his biggest "flops" (and why they were) as well as about his more popular works.

This book was laugh out loud funny throughout. Kevin is a hilarious guy and the same type of tone that is carried throughout his scripts and podcasts is evident here as well. But within the wrapping of humor are truths that bring a poignancy to the book.

This book was well-written and very entertaining. I would recommend to any fan of Kevin Smith or humor in general. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
Like its author, this book is dedicated to Jen Schwalbach...
I am a product of Don Smith's balls.

Take one look at Kevin Smith: He's a balding fatty who wears a hockey jersey, shorts and slippers year-round. Not a likely source for life advice. But take a second look: He changed filmmaking forever when he was 24 with the release of Clerks, and since then has gone on to make nine more profitable movies, runs his own production company, wrote a bestselling graphic novel, and has a beautiful wife and kids. So he must be doing something right. As Kevin's Twitter followers and podcast listeners know, he's the first one to admit his flaws and the last one to care about them. In early 2011, he began using his platform to answer big questions from fans, and he discovered that he had a lot to say. This book distills his four decades of breaking all the rules down to direct and brutally honest advice.--From publisher description.… (more)

118 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible