Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy…

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good (edition 2012)

by Kevin Smith

1991359,063 (3.76)3
Title:Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good
Authors:Kevin Smith
Info:Gotham (2012), Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith is a god. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Kevin Smith is a god. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This book was AWESOME!!!! I have always enjoyed Kevin Smith as a filmmaker and have watched a few YouTube videos of his Q&A's. So, I kinda knew what to expect. I decided to take the lazy route and listen to the audio book which lucky me was narrated by Kevin Smith! And he is awesome!! It is like having a little chat with him, sure you don't get to talk, but it is a great convo!

Who knew Kevin would be so insightful? Made me want to get off my duff and do more work with my art mostly because I do not have much of an excuse for not doing it. I feel anyone in the arts should check this book out because it is a rather inspiring kick in the pants from an unlikely source!

I loved the honesty and the general FU to the corporate machine that is the entertainment industry. It is great to hear someone else with the view that it is more important to share the art than fill the coffers.

I may have to add Kevin to my list of Directors I not so secretly crush upon. He may even be tied with Quentin Tarantino! Well, a close second cause really who can compete with QT?

Silent Bob always prolific when he chooses to use his words! It will be a sad day when he finally does hang up his director's cap!

grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
As someone who loves Kevin Smith, it's no surprise I enjoyed the book. He's a great storyteller and this translates well to books. It's a very interesting read, funny, uplifting and sad at times. He never shies away from being himself and it's nice to feel like you are being included on his journey in life. And as a dad, it's heartwarming to hear how he gushes about his daughter. One of my favorite parts of the book is the essay from his daughter. Why should the man ever care about critics again after that review? ( )
  Rob.Fulks | Jun 21, 2014 |
It's been 10 years since I watched my first Kevin Smith movie. Since then, I've seen all of his films, read all of his books and graphic novels, listened to hundreds of episodes of shows contained on the SModcast network and taken in two live shows. Therefore, it's fair to say that I'm a pretty big fan of his. With that information, it's hard to feel like I'm really reviewing this book given my massive bias. I'm going to give it a shot though.

I knew that even before I picked up this memoir/motivational book, I was going to be confronted with stories and events that I already know a great deal about. If anything, Smith is known by his fans for being incredibly transparent. So much so that no aspect of his life ever seems to be off limits for discussion (look for the chapter when he discusses - in detail - his sexual exploits with one Jennifer Schwalbach, his wife). Given that I generally enjoy going for long walks with my iPod (which I've renamed iSMod - I know, I know), I spend the majority of those long walks listening to him talk about everything from his recent physical (in incredible detail, mind you) to his life-altering obsession with Wayne Gretzky.

I already knew all about topics like the Red State development, the incident on South West and the story about his Dad's passing but he makes it all seem fresh. There's something to be said about his writing - it's pretty effortless.

Despite the fact that with the exception of a few select films in Clerks, Clerks 2, Chasing Amy and Red State, he's usually publically lambasted by critics for his poor efforts. When facing those oh so important opinions whenever he approaches a new direction in life, he often needs to find a way to remain positive.

After answering several questions on Twitter, he had the idea to write a full book dispensing his advice for those who seek it. A self-help or motivational book makes perfect sense for Smith, so it's a wonder he hasn't done this already. Granted, he'll be the first person to tell you that he certainly isn't perfect but he'll also let you know that if he can achieve his dreams then so can you. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Like its author, this book is dedicated to Jen Schwalbach...
I am a product of Don Smith's balls.

Take one look at Kevin Smith: He's a balding fatty who wears a hockey jersey, shorts and slippers year-round. Not a likely source for life advice. But take a second look: He changed filmmaking forever when he was 24 with the release of Clerks, and since then has gone on to make nine more profitable movies, runs his own production company, wrote a bestselling graphic novel, and has a beautiful wife and kids. So he must be doing something right. As Kevin's Twitter followers and podcast listeners know, he's the first one to admit his flaws and the last one to care about them. In early 2011, he began using his platform to answer big questions from fans, and he discovered that he had a lot to say. This book distills his four decades of breaking all the rules down to direct and brutally honest advice.--From publisher description.… (more)

90 wanted3 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,707,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible