The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

The Long Earth (edition 2012)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Baxter

Info:Harper (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (sandpiper)
    sandpiper: Wonderful science fiction classic about a man who keeps reliving his life.
    Ring Around the Sun by Clifford D. Simak (Gateaupain)

English (98)  French (1)  All languages (99)
I read and enjoyed earlier Terry Pratchett but that was a while ago. When I saw this at the library, I thought it might be worth a look. And it was. There are some very obvious Pratchett humour devices and Baxter's future world's science fiction. They combine to produce a readable and mind-stretching story. I'll be sure to read what remains in the series (given that Pratchett is not with us any more). ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 2, 2015 |
When a scientist discovers how people can "step" into parallel worlds, he puts the schematic diagram on the internet to prevent any government from monopolizing the technology. Soon, a slew of new problems arise that governments around the world must deal with. Some people, like Joshua Valiente, find they can step without the stepper box. Joshua and Lobsang, a Buddhist computer program that was ruled by a court of law to be human, set out on a journey to see just how many iterations there are on the long earth. The story was humorous in places, but at times I found I had to force myself to continue reading. I read other books by Terry Pratchett that I thought were very good, but I would have to rate 'The Long Earth' as just average. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
Good book and a great read brimming with so much potential for future books. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
DNF. ( )
  diego.turcato | Apr 9, 2015 |
This feels more like Stephen Baxter listened in on Terry Pratchett mumbling his ideas with his ear to a glass as opposed to them being in the same room together. I tried my hardest to like it; Pratchett is my favourite author and his Discworld series are undeniably beautiful. Disappointing, but when you can go and read Discworld instead, it doesn't really matter all that much. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
The Long Earth harkens back to the old SF of the Fifties and Sixties, which revelled in the delight of discovering new worlds. But Pratchett and Baxter have essentially democratised space exploration, taking the joy of finding new Edens out of the hands of rocket-owning millionaires and governments and giving it to the masses. This is an accessible, fun and thoughtful SF novel that offers the potential for a multitude of stories as great as the myriad of Earths.

The Long Earth is a short read: the pages riffle past and there's much to enjoy. The dialogue is a bit Hollywood 101, and much of it is characters explaining things to other characters, sometimes at great length ("Why are you telling me all this?" Joshua asks at one point, with apparent ingenuousness). But it's a charming, absorbing and somehow spacious piece of imagineering for all that.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Adam Roberts (Jun 20, 2012)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baxter, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Lyn and Rhianna, as always
T.P.

For Sandra
S.B.
In a forest glade:
Private Percy woke up to birdsong.

1916: the Western Front, France. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No man's Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson has returned to the burned-out home of one Willis Linsay, a reclusive and some said mad, others dangerous, scientist. It was arson but, as is often the way, the firemen seem to have caused more damage than the fire itself. Stepping through the wreck of a house, there's no sign of any human remains but on the mantelpiece Monica finds a curious gadget - a box, containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that Linsay called a 'stepper'. An invention he put up on the web for all the world to see, and use, an invention that would to change the way mankind viewed his world Earth for ever. And that's an understatement if ever there was one...

...because the stepper allowed the person using it to step sideways into another America, another Earth, and if you kept on stepping, you kept on entering even more Earths...this is the Long Earth. It's not our Earth but one of chain of parallel worlds, lying side by side each differing from its neighbour by really very little (or actually quite a lot). It's an infinite chain, offering 'steppers' an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And the further away you travel, the stranger - and sometimes more dangerous - the Earths get. The sun and moon always shine, the basic laws of physics are the same. However, the chance events which have shaped our particular Earth, such as the dinosaur-killer asteroid impact, might not have happened and things may well have turned out rather differently.

But, until Willis Linsay invented his stepper, only our Earth hosted mankind...or so we thought. Because it turns out there are some people who are natural 'steppers', who don't need his invention and now the great migration has begun

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062067753, Hardcover)

The possibilities are endless. (Just be careful what you wish for. . . .)

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Police officer Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive—some say mad, others allege dangerous—scientist who seems to have vanished. Sifting through the wreckage, Jansson find a curious gadget: a box containing some rudimentary wiring, a three-way switch, and . . . a potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way humankind views the world forever.

The first novel in an exciting new collaboration between Discworld creator Terry Pratchett and the acclaimed SF writer Stephen Baxter, The Long Earth transports readers to the ends of the earth—and far beyond. All it takes is a single step. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

1916: The Western Front. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong and the wind in the leaves. Where have the mud, blood, and blasted landscape of no-man's-land gone? For that matter, where has Percy gone? 2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Police officer Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive--some say mad, others allege dangerous--scientist who seems to have vanished. Sifting through the wreckage, Jansson find a curious gadget: a box containing some rudimentary wiring, a three-way switch, and a potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way humankind views the world forever. The "stepper" enables a person using it to step sideways into another America, another wherever that person happened to be, another Earth. And if the person using it keeps on stepping, they keep on entering even more Earths. This is the Long Earth. And the further away a stepper travels, the stranger -- and sometimes more dangerous -- the Earths become.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible