The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

The Long Earth (edition 2012)

by Terry Pratchett, Stephen Baxter

Info:Harper (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (sandpiper)
    sandpiper: Wonderful science fiction classic about a man who keeps reliving his life.
    Ring Around the Sun by Clifford D. Simak (Gateaupain)

English (83)  French (1)  All languages (84)
Excellent concept; dreary execution. ( )
  zdarlight | Aug 22, 2014 |
So, so disappointing. Not bad as such but it feels like a far too long prologue to what might turn out to be an ok book... When we eventually get to the story. Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter are up there among my favourite authors and I hoped for a lot from this but it didn't quite deliver. Will read the next one eventually but I don't feel any great urgency. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
Substance: The proposition is of infinite alternate earths (and universes?), reachable by "stepping" through either natural ability or mechanically assisted. The journey through the worlds is "Oz"-like (travelogue anecdotes at every stop), but the story is less cohesive than Baum's. Read for the speculations, not the plot (in which there is a major hole, where the protagonist unaccountably fails to step when he should to avoid danger). Setting up for a sequel, but not one I will pursue. Characters were okay, but the raison d'etre was muddy.
Style: Too much Baxter and not enough Pratchett. Mildly humorous without the trademark manic wit. ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 19, 2014 |
Disappointed in what would have made a unique combination of Baxter and Pratchett. However, the story lacked the humor and fun of Pratchett and the hard science fiction of Baxter. What remained was a story without focus, humor, or character depth. ( )
  seanvk | Jun 30, 2014 |
The Long Earth was fascinating and thought provoking. I have to say I tried again and again to engage my husband in conversation about "what if" and all the thoughts that this story brought to mind.

I do lament that there wasn't as much of Terry Pratchett's signature humor as I was anticipating. I could definitely see some of it here and there but I surely wanted more. A downside is it took me quite awhile to finish this one. I thought I would gobble it down in a day but for some reason I just couldn't get sucked in, even though I did really enjoy it, there was just so much awesome description and things to read about, all the POSSIBILITIES I SAY!!! haha.

I really think part of what gave me trouble was that I couldn't pin down until about 100 pages the main characters in the book were. Also, this was a very slow moving read, there wasn't enough action compelling you forward. It was a book for contemplating. There was so much rich explanation and jumping forward and backward in time that I didn't feel the urgency to finish it quickly that I do with some books. I didn't see a main story arc progressing. Even by the end of the book I thought - now what was REALLY the plot?

Because it moves a lot from character to character, stringing a bunch of things and events together I was often wondering "why the heck did they choose to include this person's story" only to understand their madness later on during the book. It did give me a bit of a disjointed feeling.

The Long Earth had a lot of interesting scenarios and things that made you think, "is that how humanity would really react?" moments - but ultimately I felt like it was incomplete. The book ended way too abruptly. Yes, the main character Joshua figured out a few major things with his traveling companions, and there was character growth on his part that I was happy with but most of the last events in the book seemed so anticlimactic. Once I did reach the end of the book my reaction was "Is that IT???" It just didn't feel like its own complete story...even if a book is meant to be a series I still think the individual book should be able to stand on its own. Obviously, I think there is going to be another book, and while I enjoyed this one I'm not foaming at the mouth for the next one if it goes in a similar fashion as this one. I'll of course read it though *evil laughter* ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
The Long Earth harkens back to the old SF of the Fifties and Sixties, which revelled in the delight of discovering new worlds. But Pratchett and Baxter have essentially democratised space exploration, taking the joy of finding new Edens out of the hands of rocket-owning millionaires and governments and giving it to the masses. This is an accessible, fun and thoughtful SF novel that offers the potential for a multitude of stories as great as the myriad of Earths.

The Long Earth is a short read: the pages riffle past and there's much to enjoy. The dialogue is a bit Hollywood 101, and much of it is characters explaining things to other characters, sometimes at great length ("Why are you telling me all this?" Joshua asks at one point, with apparent ingenuousness). But it's a charming, absorbing and somehow spacious piece of imagineering for all that.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Adam Roberts (Jun 20, 2012)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baxter, Stephenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Lyn and Rhianna, as always
T.P.

For Sandra
S.B.
In a forest glade:
Private Percy woke up to birdsong.

1916: the Western Front, France. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where has the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No man's Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson has returned to the burned-out home of one Willis Linsay, a reclusive and some said mad, others dangerous, scientist. It was arson but, as is often the way, the firemen seem to have caused more damage than the fire itself. Stepping through the wreck of a house, there's no sign of any human remains but on the mantelpiece Monica finds a curious gadget - a box, containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that Linsay called a 'stepper'. An invention he put up on the web for all the world to see, and use, an invention that would to change the way mankind viewed his world Earth for ever. And that's an understatement if ever there was one...

...because the stepper allowed the person using it to step sideways into another America, another Earth, and if you kept on stepping, you kept on entering even more Earths...this is the Long Earth. It's not our Earth but one of chain of parallel worlds, lying side by side each differing from its neighbour by really very little (or actually quite a lot). It's an infinite chain, offering 'steppers' an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And the further away you travel, the stranger - and sometimes more dangerous - the Earths get. The sun and moon always shine, the basic laws of physics are the same. However, the chance events which have shaped our particular Earth, such as the dinosaur-killer asteroid impact, might not have happened and things may well have turned out rather differently.

But, until Willis Linsay invented his stepper, only our Earth hosted mankind...or so we thought. Because it turns out there are some people who are natural 'steppers', who don't need his invention and now the great migration has begun

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062067753, Hardcover)

The possibilities are endless. (Just be careful what you wish for. . . .)

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Police officer Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive—some say mad, others allege dangerous—scientist who seems to have vanished. Sifting through the wreckage, Jansson find a curious gadget: a box containing some rudimentary wiring, a three-way switch, and . . . a potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way humankind views the world forever.

The first novel in an exciting new collaboration between Discworld creator Terry Pratchett and the acclaimed SF writer Stephen Baxter, The Long Earth transports readers to the ends of the earth—and far beyond. All it takes is a single step. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

1916: The Western Front. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong and the wind in the leaves. Where have the mud, blood, and blasted landscape of no-man's-land gone? For that matter, where has Percy gone? 2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Police officer Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive--some say mad, others allege dangerous--scientist who seems to have vanished. Sifting through the wreckage, Jansson find a curious gadget: a box containing some rudimentary wiring, a three-way switch, and a potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way humankind views the world forever. The "stepper" enables a person using it to step sideways into another America, another wherever that person happened to be, another Earth. And if the person using it keeps on stepping, they keep on entering even more Earths. This is the Long Earth. And the further away a stepper travels, the stranger -- and sometimes more dangerous -- the Earths become.… (more)

270 wanted5 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,311,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible