The Last Christmas Card by Laura Briggs

The Last Christmas Card (edition 2011)

by Laura Briggs, Sarah Steinbrenner

Rating:***1/2
Tags:Kindle book

The Last Christmas Card by Laura Briggs

Recently added bylyn369, judyg54, love2readnovels

A good friend of mine told me that this story would make a great Hallmark movie and as I was reading it I could picture each scene in the movie. It was an endearing story of two people searching for folks from the past to give them a Christmas card that strangely got lost until years later. Samantha Sowerman has just moved into an old house being made into apartments. She lives in the present (2012) but in her mail receives a Christmas card dated from December, 1944. It was sent to a Bette Larsen from a soldier in the war by the name of Mac Hydberg. The note on the card leads Samantha on a quest to see if the sender of the card or the lady it was being sent to can be found so she can deliver it to them. She seeks the help of Tyler Lars, from Veteran Affairs office, who has had to take a "desk job" since being injured in Iraq from a land mine. Tyler as first doesn't want anything to do with helping Samantha, but her persistance pays off and they begin the search. As they search, they also begin to get to know one another and so the romance begins.

This book had a nice story line to it and I enjoyed reading of the quest to find these two older folks. Samantha and Tyler seemed like real people who had a heart for others, although Tyler liked to keep his emotions from showing by seeming harsh and uncaring. It was a nice story to read around Christmas, and maybe someday I will see it as a Hallmarkc movie! ( )
  judyg54 | Dec 20, 2012 |
Card gone lost for 60 some years, found by a woman, and she finds her man, not that great. ( )
  lyn369 | Dec 6, 2012 |
Samantha Sowerman is a missionary who's returned home until she gets her paperwork ready to go to Brazil. One day in the mail she receives a letter addressed to someone who used to live there but the postmark is over 60 years old. She feels compelled to find it's rightful owner. She steams open the inside to see if there is any helpful information. She finds a tender and heartfelt message from a soldier to his sweetheart. She decides the best place to start would be the military base. Sergeant Ty Lars is a soldier sent home from the war because of an injury that caused him to now work behind a desk. He is lonely and bitter, not really having a purpose in life anymore. When Samantha enlists Ty's help in the finding the owner of the card they know they will need a Christmas miracle to do that. Could it be that they just might find their own Christmas miracle along the way?

What an enjoyable story! I've not read anything by this author before but the storyline sounded very intriguing. Boy I'm sure glad I gave it try. It's a story that's very easy to read and keeps you turning pages to find out how it all turns out. It reads very much like a Christmas movie you might find on Hallmark this time of year. Though it was a short story (about 77 pages) it felt liked a full-length one to me. It didn't seem hurried at all. I really liked the lead couple. Samantha was an upbeat gal whose faith made a difference in the life of a brooding soldier named Ty. It just made me reflect that we have an impact on people and we need to always be conscience of that in light of how we behave. Some of the parts in this story were so touching to me I found myself getting the Kleenex. If you're looking for a good holiday read, I would recommend you pick up The Last Christmas Card. I'm sure glad I did!
Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 428 KB
Print Length: 77 pages
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
Language: English
ASIN: B005JKR7H0 ( )
  love2readnovels | Dec 15, 2011 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,331,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible