Christmas in Knavesborough by Dorte…
512,110,187 (4)None

This delightful little ebook available from Amazon and Smashwords among other places is my friend Dorte's latest book about the village of Knavesborough.

There are four short stories here, featuring characters I loved from her earlier work. Constable Archibald Penrose is engaged to Rhapsody Gershwin, the librarian. Her father, the vicar, is especially beloved by this reader, but I also enjoy the names of other characters. Rhapsody's sisters, for example, are Psalmonella and Harmonia. The vicar is proud that the youngest child is a son who he was allowed to name; hence the boy is called John. The ladies of the town have names that make me smile as well.

In these stories which are set around the time of Christmas, you won't find the usual miracle or feel-good, what I like to call schmaltzy, plots. No, this being Knavesborough, there is murder afoot.

Dorte has a way with short stories that end with the reader saying with a grin, "Oh, so that's what was going on. That's very clever." I hope you will buy this Christmas selection. It costs very little but is worth much more. ( )
  bjmitch | Dec 13, 2011 |

Word of warning: two of the four stories also appear in the collection "Candied Crime".

Four Christmas crime stories featuring the Gershwin family and Constable Penrose. The humorous and cosy tales take place in the fictional village of Knavesborough, Yorkshire. Light entertainment for readers who prefer their Christmas dinner with solid doses of crime and humour. 8,000 words in all.

The stories can be read on their own, but they are actually short prequels to the novel "The Cosy Knave", published earlier in 2011. So for fans of this writer, the collection offers plenty of opportunity to meet up with old friends from Knavesborough. Meet Rhapsody Gershwin as a teenager, surrounded by her bustling family in the vicarage, Constable Penrose on his first serious case, plus the grumpy Kickinbottoms and the knitting club conspirators.

[retrieved 12/19/2012 from Amazon.com]

Dorte Hummelshøj Jakobsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible