The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch…

The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch Assassin

by Joseph Delaney

Excellent, excellent book. While it was a bit awkward that this book is technically in a different series (The Spook's Series) than the main series that Delaney writes (Wardstone Chronicles if you are not in the US and The Last Apprentice if you are)--awkward because this book actually continues the last book in the series that he wrote but from the character Grimalkin's point of view.

And, wow. What a point of view. Grimalkin has been one of my favorite characters from the moment she was introduced. She is just such a complete bad a__. She is strong, courageous, never looks back and doesn't understand the quibbling about "dark and light" that the Spook worries about. She just goes about her business with her own internal moral code and gets things done. I'm not going to divulge any of the actual plot because it really would ruin things for you if you haven't read the book other than to say that no, this is not a book that is an "add on" book like the Bestiary or the "Witches" book that simply had back stories and supplementary data. This is actually in the stream of the current story arc and VERY relevant to what is going on after the Fiend was bound. Where we saw Grimalkin leave for the County in the Wardstone Chronicles/Last Apprentice book "I am Grimalkin" picks up with her travels with the Fiend's head as she is pursued by his followers while she tries to keep it safe so Tom can have time to find a way to banish him permanently.

As usual, it is written exceptionally well. Mr. Delaney has a very deft touch writing description. He doesn't use excessive words to describe things and often uses character's statements to set the scene, but you always get a very good feel for the setting without a lot of boring description.

Highly recommended. ( )
  Clare_M | May 25, 2014 |
First and foremost I was not a happy camper at the end of this book. What I missed in this installment was the two leading characters of the series itself.I was severely disturbed by Grimalkin's inner monologue. How she fantasizes about the 1001 ways to kill a man, and her long suffering at the Fiend's whimsy. Don't get me wrong it was nice to have another perspective to the series, but Delaney has no problem with killing off a number of characters throughout this book. That was a surprise, and you know...
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Ninth book in the Last Apprentice series. This book is told from the point of view of Grimalkin, the witch assassin. Her task is to keep the severed head of the Fiend out of the hands of his supportors so he can't be reincarnated before Tom Ward discovers a way to destroy him forever. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 14, 2014 |
I really love this series, but this installment fell a little flat for me. The narration was at times redundant. The device of having Grimalkin tell stories to Thorne felt incredibly contrived. It would have been much better to have just gone with straight flash-backs. I think this is the first book in this series that I haven't felt compelled to stay up all night just so I can finish it. ( )
  CassieLM | Apr 2, 2013 |
It took a few pages to really get in to Grimalkin's point of view but once I did I loved it! I found that I particularly liked one of the new characters. Overall it was an excellent book; I can hardly wait for the next one. ( )
  K... | Mar 31, 2013 |
Once I reached the centre of the wood, I swung the heavy leather sack down from my shoulder and placed it on the ground before me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062082078, Hardcover)

"I'm coming for you, and nothing living or dead can stop me."

One witch is the most feared, the most ruthless, and the most deadly of all the witches in the county. If she hunts for you, she will find you. If you have crossed her, you don't stand a chance. She is the witch assassin, and her name is Grimalkin.

Grimalkin's one alliance is with Tom Ward, the Spook's apprentice. With Tom, she plans to rid the world of the most terrifying evil, the Fiend, who once did her great wrong.

For the first time, fans of the Last Apprentice series will hear the story from Grimalkin's side, as she is hunted herself by creatures of darkness set on revenge.

Grimalkin has never been defeated. But can she survive an enemy created for the sole purpose of destroying her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:52 -0400)

Provides insights into the life of Grimalkin, one of the deadliest witches in the country, if not the world, whose uneasy truce with the Spook's apprentice, Tom, unites them against the ultimate evil of the Fiend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible