The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch…

The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch Assassin (Book 9) (edition 2012)

by Joseph Delaney, Patrick Arrasmith (Illustrator)

133None89,763 (4.08)3
Member:krau0098
Title:The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch Assassin (Book 9)
Authors:Joseph Delaney
Other authors:Patrick Arrasmith (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:horror, witches, monster, middle grade, young adult, fantasy

The Last Apprentice: Grimalkin the Witch Assassin (Book 9) by Joseph Delaney

Ninth book in the Last Apprentice series. This book is told from the point of view of Grimalkin, the witch assassin. Her task is to keep the severed head of the Fiend out of the hands of his supportors so he can't be reincarnated before Tom Ward discovers a way to destroy him forever. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 14, 2014 |
I really love this series, but this installment fell a little flat for me. The narration was at times redundant. The device of having Grimalkin tell stories to Thorne felt incredibly contrived. It would have been much better to have just gone with straight flash-backs. I think this is the first book in this series that I haven't felt compelled to stay up all night just so I can finish it. ( )
  CassieLM | Apr 2, 2013 |
It took a few pages to really get in to Grimalkin's point of view but once I did I loved it! I found that I particularly liked one of the new characters. Overall it was an excellent book; I can hardly wait for the next one. ( )
  K... | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is the ninth book in The Last Apprentice series by Delaney. The tenth book of this series will be titled, Lure of the Dead, and is scheduled for release in August 2012. This was a great addition to the series and is told completely from Grimalkin’s point of view; although it is also directly tied into Tom and Alice’s story as well.

Grimalkin has made it her goal to destroy the Fiend as revenge for him murdering her son. In the last book she joined forces with Tom and the Spook to take down the Fiend. Now she is on the run with the Fiend’s head. If she is going to give Tom and the Spook time to destroy the Fiend permanently she needs to keep the head away from the Fiend’s many dangerous followers.

This was an excellent addition to the series, although not my favorite. I was very, very excited to read more about Grimalkin and all in all it was fun to hear things from her point of view. Although I have to say I had kind of been hoping for a more complex character; what drives Grimalkin is very straight forward...it’s revenge.

We learn more about Grimalkin’s past and life in this book. One of the best additions to the story was Grimalkin’s apprentice. This gave us a glimpse at Grimalkin’s life outside of her quest to kill the Fiend and did add a little more depth to her character.

Grimalkin is unique in that she is one of the most driven characters I have read about; sometime it feels like she makes it through events on determination alone. She is Grimalkin and that is enough for her to fight through everything to get to her goal.

The only other thing I thought was weaker with this book was the style of language. At times the language is pretty dry; there isn’t as much banter as in the book featuring Tom Ward. Grimalkin sometimes speaks in a rather archaic way and I thought it made her sound a bit stiff.

Also I should mention that this book was much more violent than the previous books in the series. That didn’t bother me much, but I noticed it. Of course this is a book about a witch assassin, and the world the witches live in isn’t a pretty one...so that is to be expected.

Also this is part of the main story but more like an offshoot. While Grimalkin is guarding the Fiend’s head Tom and the Spook are supposed to be off figuring out how to destroy the Fiend’s spirit and body for good (which I am going to assume is the topic of the next Last Apprentice book). The story is progressed some, but not a lot.

Overall this was a great book in the series. I loved learning more about Grimalkin, I was a bit disappointed because my expectations were so high...Grimalkin wasn’t as complex as I thought she would be. That being said it was still a very very well done book and added a lot to the story. While the storyline isn’t progressed a ton, this book does fill out and add to the story. This whole series is highly recommended to Middle Grade and older readers who like their fantasy dark with monsters and some creepy in it. ( )
  krau0098 | May 14, 2012 |
I was a little disappointed when I read on Joseph Delaney's blog that The Last Apprentice series (or, it's known in the UK, the Wardstone Chronicles) are coming to an end. After book 14, the series will be over for good. There's no indication at this time if Delaney will ever return to the world of The County, or even what he will do next, but the ending of this amazing series promises to be incredible.

In book 9, Grimalkin the Witch Assassin, we take a little bit of a detour from the main story to learn more about the deadly Grimalkin. Through Grimalkin's eyes, we learn about her unique role in the witch world, her attempt at having an apprentice of her own, and the heartbreak and sacrifice that comes from being Grimalkin. Most importantly, readers get a unique perspective on the witch assassin and what the world of The County means to her.

I really did enjoy hearing the story from Grimalkin's prospective, and all the amazing action and unique mythology that I've come to expect from Delaney. For the first time, readers were really able to dig into her and start to see a completely different side of the witch assassin we thought we knew. I will admit that it did bug me somewhat that this was pretty much a side story, not really a meaningful advancement of the plot, but it was so much fun to read that it almost didn't matter.

Though the plot feels as though it is moved forward somewhat, I still left like this was more of a side story. But don't get me wrong, it was a well worthwhile side story for Last Apprentice fans. ( )
  BookAddictDiary | Apr 28, 2012 |
Once I reached the centre of the wood, I swung the heavy leather sack down from my shoulder and placed it on the ground before me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062082078, Hardcover)

"I'm coming for you, and nothing living or dead can stop me."

One witch is the most feared, the most ruthless, and the most deadly of all the witches in the county. If she hunts for you, she will find you. If you have crossed her, you don't stand a chance. She is the witch assassin, and her name is Grimalkin.

Grimalkin's one alliance is with Tom Ward, the Spook's apprentice. With Tom, she plans to rid the world of the most terrifying evil, the Fiend, who once did her great wrong.

For the first time, fans of the Last Apprentice series will hear the story from Grimalkin's side, as she is hunted herself by creatures of darkness set on revenge.

Grimalkin has never been defeated. But can she survive an enemy created for the sole purpose of destroying her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:52 -0400)

Provides insights into the life of Grimalkin, one of the deadliest witches in the country, if not the world, whose uneasy truce with the Spook's apprentice, Tom, unites them against the ultimate evil of the Fiend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible