The Patrick Melrose novels : Never mind, Bad…

The Patrick Melrose novels : Never mind, Bad news, Some hope, and… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Edward St. Aubyn

Series: Patrick Melrose (1-4)

5151834,112 (4)30
Follows the life of Patrick Melrose, a member of an upper class English family, through his traumatic childhood with an abusive father, drug addiction, fatherhood, and the possible loss of his family home.
Member:m_leigh
Title:The Patrick Melrose novels : Never mind, Bad news, Some hope, and Mother's milk
Authors:Edward St. Aubyn
Info:New York : Picador, 2012.
Rating:*****

The Patrick Melrose Novels: Never Mind, Bad News, Some Hope, and Mother's Milk by Edward St. Aubyn (2012)

Alms for Oblivion, Volume 1 by Simon Raven (quartzite)
    quartzite: a series of novels about some less than savory upper class Brits, with clever compelling writing that is simultaneously off-putting and fascinating.

I feel incredibly grateful that my good friend turned me on to these novels and basically ordered me to read them. If I somehow got to the end of my life only then to find out about Patrick Melrose, without the time to experience his story, I would feel a wave of regret. Edward St. Aubyn's slashing, witty, and unbelievably observant writing style floored me from the very first pages. His ability to delve so deeply into the dark side of existence while still finding the humor and human striving inherent in a life lived is nothing short of remarkable. Each novel in this collection has its own voice, themes and concerns, and yet they all are of the same voice, Melrose's, or I suppose St. Aubyn's. If this truly is a fictionalized account of St. Aubyn's life then I applaud his ability to take experiences that would have shattered lesser mortals and transform them into a work of art. In fact, his fourth novel hit so close to experiences I myself have had that when finishing it I not only walked around in a daze but also realized that I might never need to write my own story if only because St. Aubyn had manage to capture my own experiences so completely. ( )
  23Goatboy23 | Jan 17, 2020 |
Finally finished, and glad I did. ( )
  kvschnitzer | Dec 8, 2019 |
I've read the first two, and yes, they are funny: goodness, this author is incisive and bars no holds, but I can't say that I really "enjoy" reading about paedophilic psychopath fathers and (in the second, weaker book) one man's hunt for heroin (and horror of Mexican food). Very well written, but all very memoirish and ueber-dark.

I may have to come back to it, because having read it makes me feel cultured. (I found it through the New Yorker, after all!)
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
All of the books are wonderful; the fourth is the best, with sparkling writing, deeply drawn characters and nice flowing action- despite the fact that not much actually happens. Yes the characters are not likable or uplifting. If that's what you want, read something else. If you want stylish, pitch-perfect prose and character-driven realness, read the Patrick Melrose series. ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Dec 13, 2018 |
Beautiful prose, often humorous, but equally annoying with despicable characters. Better in the beginning, it started to feel like a real chore by the end. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Oct 8, 2016 |
Careful, don't combine this one with the 5-volume set!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,683,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible