Carpathia by Matt Forbeck

Carpathia

by Matt Forbeck

After abandoning one novel about the Titanic because the stretched out narrative was boring me silly, I mistakenly jumped off the sinking ship and into the North Atlantic. Carpathia has a clever premise - and the name of the ship which picked up the survivors of the Titanic also has vague connotations to Stoker's novel - but the writing is dreadful, on a schoolboy fan fiction/b-movie level of bad grammar and clumsy dialogue. If one more character 'stabbed their finger' instead of simply pointing, I would have had to destroy a library book. Anyway. The cleverest element of this novel is the cover and the tagline - 'The lucky ones went down with the Titanic'. Mr Forbeck should have printed an apology to the survivors of the unsinkable ship, not a dedication in their memory. And I should think Bram Stoker is turning in his grave, too. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Mar 17, 2013 |
I was really excited to read this based on the summary (vampires and the sinking of the Titanic!), but it wasn't at all like I expected. Though I loved the idea, I wasn't very impressed with the story which started out strong and slowly began losing its steam. There was also something about the dialogue between the characters; I found the conversations very awkward. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 5, 2013 |
Here's a fun one, ship full of dead people aside.

The Titanic voyage doesn't go so well.

However, three of the survivors are Quin Harker, Abraham Holmwood and Lucy Seward. The ship that picks them up is in the title. On board, some vampires. The three friends soon realise that Uncle Bram may not have been making stuff up and that their parental predilection for household garlic and crucifixes was not so normal.

These three are not so easy prey given their background and divisions in the vampire ranks make things more interesting too.

Good stuff.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/07/carpathia-matt-forbeck/ ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Jul 12, 2012 |
Dedicated to my wife, Ann, and our children: Marty, Pat, Nick, Ken, and Helen. They make al the voyages in my life so much better.
"What in the hell was that?" Quin Harker said as the ship rumbled beneath him.

Whn the lucky survivors of the world's most infamous maritime disaster were plucked out of the freezing ocean by the passenger steamship Carpathia they thought their problems were over. But something is sleeping in the darkest recesses of their resue ship. Something old. Something hungry. (9780857662026)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0857662023, Paperback)

It's Titanic meets 30 Days of Night.

When the survivors of the Titanic are picked up by the passenger steamship Carpathia, they thought their problems were over.

But something's sleeping in the darkest recesses of the ship. Something old. Something hungry.

File Under: Fantasy [ Bump In The Night | Unthinkable | Rescue Remedy | 1912 Overture ]

e-book ISBN: 978-0-85766-203-3

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:21 -0400)

"When the lucky survivors of the world's most infamous maritime disaster were plucked out of the freezing ocean by the passenger steamship Carpathia, they thought their problems were over. But something is sleeping in the darkest recesses of their rescue ship. Something old. Something hungry"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

21 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible