The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around…

by Mark Batterson

Member:Ritner
Title:The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
Authors:Mark Batterson
Info:Zondervan (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Early Morning Reading
Rating:**

The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears by Mark Batterson

Rated: A-
Truly inspiration relating to your prayer life. You can't read this book and not dream big, think long and pray hard. ( )
  jmcdbooks | May 5, 2014 |
Good men's group bible discussion book, but I wouldn't put it near the top of inspirational books I've read. I did enjoy the author's stance on the importance of prayer and how we as Christians should be diligent about it, but....and you knew there was a but...some of his comments on parts of the Bible and "what God wants" seemed a little off kilter to me. It is thought provoking, though. ( )
  utbw42 | Aug 20, 2013 |
This book was okay. It helped remind me how important it is to pray for people in my life, and to keep praying and believing no matter how long it takes. The book was very repetitive though. I'm also a little uncomfortable with the whole circle thing. I'm not real sure how Biblical that actually is. Some of the book seemed to skirt awfully close to the name it and claim it prosperity stuff that I steer clear of. I think it would help to actually know the man to really be able to see what kind of man he is and the fruit he produces. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 25, 2013 |
What can you say about a "pastor" that preaches myths while ridiculing actual Biblical teachings, promises that if you circle your prayers (literally draw circles around the things you want in chalk, or ink, or by walking around them), God will give them to you, and dismisses the Lord's Prayer as being offensive to God? A best-selling author in the American evangelical, non-denominational church. If you want a more detailed analysis on the silliness that is Mark Batterson's theology, go to www.fightingforthefaith.com. ( )
  mdubois | Jul 17, 2012 |
Bear in mind that the basic premise of this book is a supposed historical event (you can never argue with experiences). Problematically, history can never tell you what ought to be; history can only tell you what happened. Yet, author Mark Batterson bases his entire argument on what happened (experience) a generation before Jesus came, not what the Bible says ought to be (principle). Unfortunately, there is no Scripture Index--which is always telling in a book that is purportedly "Christian"--and I could find no reference to Matthew 6, which is a primary text of Jesus' teaching on prayer.

"The earth has circled the sun more than two thousand times since the day Honi drew his circle in the sand, but God is still looking for circle makers" (page 13). How he knows this is God's current activity Batterson does not say.

The author asserts that the failure to pray dream fulfilling and miraculous prayers is due to our not coming to terms with the truth that God is for us. However, the Apostle Paul assets (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit), that the conviction that God is for us is grounded in the atoning work of Christ, and he makes no mention of prayer in the context. Therefore, Batterson is, at best, guilty of synthetically interpreting (eisegesis - get a dictionary) Scripture.
Because God tells us to "redeem the time", I cannot suggest you read this book.
However, if you want to read a book that makes unfounded assertions, misrepresents God and and his Word, and lacks cogent argumentation, I highly recommend you read this volume. Otherwise, use it, page by page, for starting fires on cold winter mornings.

If you want to read a good book on prayer, find one that starts out citing Scripture and does so the entire way. ( )
2 vote Ron_Gilbert | Jul 7, 2012 |
To my father-in-law, Bob Schmidgall.
The memory of you kneeling in prayer lives forever,
as do your prayers.
Young children danced in the downpour like it was the first rainfall they'd ever seen.

According to Pastor Mark Batterson in his book, The Circle Maker, 'Drawing prayer circles around our dreams isn't just a mechanism whereby we accomplish great things for God. It's a mechanism whereby God accomplishes great things in us.' Do you ever sense that there's far more to prayer, and to God's vision for your life, than what you're experiencing? It's time you learned from the legend of Honi the Circle Maker---a man bold enough to draw a circle in the sand and not budge from inside it until God answered his prayers for his people. What impossibly big dream is God calling you to draw a prayer circle around? Sharing inspiring stories from his own experiences as a circle maker, Mark Batterson will help you uncover your heart's deepest desires and God-given dreams and unleash them through the kind of audacious prayer that God delights to answer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:29 -0400)

Using the true legend of Honi the circle maker, guides readers to help identify their dreams and future miracles in order to find the clearest and most valuable answers from God.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible