The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Rating:*****

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

3.5 stars

Brace yourselves, because this:

is a rage zombie… but whatever. This is exactly what I pictured when I thought of the vamps in The Hunt.

This was a bit of a wild ride and a nonstop one from beginning to end. If you’re able to ignore the huge plot holes like I did, this book can be really enjoyable. It’s hard to get bored when vamps are flying off the handle and behaving completely unpredictably. I was worried at first, because everyone compared this to The Hunger Games with vamps and I didn’t want a knockoff. Thankfully, the similarities were short-lived and The Hunt went in a different direction.

There were some issues. First off, the MC, Gene, was a complete a-hole. He and his “love interest” were gross. They made some appalling decisions and I didn’t like either of them at all. I hope they get eaten in book #2. Or redeem themselves, I guess.

There was also some awkwardness with the habits of the vampire community. Their gestures were weird and in particular, their romantic gestures were really weird.

Speaking of romance, I didn’t buy it. It wasn't exactly insta-love, but it was pretty close. It was a little too fast and a little too much for my liking. There is some old history between them, but not enough to justify how quickly things escalated. There was also an inclination towards a love triangle that I HOPE doesn’t happen, because BARF. Luckily, the book didn’t revolve too much around the romance, so I was able to stomach it.

Lastly, the water situation. So, these vamps don’t drink water, because they eat fresh meat and drink blood. A large portion of the book involves the MC searching for drinking water, since it’s not readily available. Why isn’t it readily available? Just because they don’t drink it, doesn’t mean they need no water at all. The vamps have been known to devour their victims. They even salivate and drool when they encounter a victim, so do they not ever need to wash their hands? Or faces? Are we to believe that magic automatically cleans them? Again, you really need to leave your questions at the door in order to enjoy this book.

It wasn’t all bad, though. I was able to forget about all these pesky world-building issues, because of the vamps. I like my vamps nasty, mean, and vicious – as they should be. The Hunt definitely had that going for it. It’s pretty graphic and the vamps were really creepy and relentless. There was no mercy. And they were kind of crazy, too, which just added to the scare factor. If that aspect of the book had been missing, I don’t know that I would have enjoyed it as much.

This book isn’t for everyone, but it worked for me. It was a really fast-paced and creepy mindless read. It's been a long time since I've read vampires that were quite like the ones in The Hunt.

I would not want to come face-to-face with any of those rage zombies bloodsuckers.

Somebody needs a bubble bath.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Enjoyed the series very much. Gene is a human trying to live undetected in a world of vampires. Action packed all the way. ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 29, 2014 |
This is one strange vampire-ish book. I'm not against them vampires, since being introduced to Edward Cullen many moons ago, but writing about night owls, bats, or vampires and the likes (zombies, too!), would require more creative brain work. Those people who can manipulate readers to believe an alternative world where vampires or zombies rule the day (or night!) have my respect, indeed..

The Hunt is one of those survival story not unlike Hunger Games at heart, but with a boy as the lead (so refreshing!) and some adult supervision, albeit in the form of non-human creatures. In Gene's world, vampire-like creatures do rule the night. There's a hint that it wasn't used to be like that, but after his dad got 'bitten' (which wasn't explained too clearly, so I'm still not sure whatever happened to his dad) and had to leave their house, Gene has to fend for himself in this somewhat post-apocalyptic world. A lot of precautions and rituals have to be taken in order to avoid his 'heper' status being known, or else his high school classmates would devour him in seconds.

I agree with a lot of the reviews that there are too many holes in the story, but somehow you kinda sweep them under the rug because the thrill of the hunt. The idea of a human forced to disguise himself as another creature and being handpicked to play in a hunting game (just like Hunger Games all over gain) where these creatures have to hunt for human, is fascinating. I don't want to list common-sense deviation that Gene has to overcome and the book easily neglect to explain, it's like believing someone as handsome as Edward Cullen can be 127 and marry a 20-y.o. maiden. That's the power of a story. If the author can convince me to read his or her book without stopping for a bag of Doritos, then the book is good enough for me.. ( )
  pwlifter300 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Contains some unmarked spoilers.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I just finished this book and all I could do was sigh deeply. I feel like there's something heavy in my chest. >_
You know, Andrew Fukuda didn't say what this 'people' - for the lack of better or right word - are called. They are not exactly vampires as one might think because of the blood sucking or whatnot. And they are certainly not zombies just because they eat flesh. So what to call them? Predators? Yeah, maybe. Okay, I'll just use that word.

This book made my mouth opened a lot of times. Whether in awe or in disgust. I actually wanted to heave when the descriptions became too... descriptive for my own good. Heper or humans were treated as a cattle, categorized as a thing, they were called 'it'. And since these predators are flesh eating people, it's too gross when you imagine they were eating raw meat with blood dripping down their chins. Or they are drinking blood like water. Seriously, how could Gene stomach that? Well, I guess, if you really want to survive, you'll do everything even if it means you're eating raw things with blood. *yuck.*

I keep expecting Gene - you'll know he's name after reading 50% of the book, I know, too damn long for a name to arrive but that's necessary - to be eaten *shudders* by the predators lots of time. I mean, he's trying to blend in, okay, so he really blended in the pack of predators. He did what his father said to him.

His father told him lots of things on how to survive this world. How to blend in good and so that he'll not be detected. He needed to act, show his poker face, not do unnecessary things. Don't fall in love with one of them. Keep to yourself. And Never Forget Who You Are.

When he got chosen in The Heper Lottery - btw, Heper means human - I somehow doubt it's by pure luck. I actually thought that whatever was in the box (is it a box? Can't remember. :D) was Gene's assigned number. That's what my mind told me when they were drawing the numbers. I know they are specifically chosen. And somehow, I have a feeling the Ashley June is also a human.

I was frustrated when Gene didn't went to the Dome immediately, where the hepers are located, when he was already smelly the first day. I mean, didn't he thought of that as soon as he started to smell? The other hunters would be sleeping cause the sun was up and he'll be the only one who's awake and the dome would be down. There's a lake or river in there and he could use that to take a bath and drink water. But he went after 2 nights smelling like a heper as he is.

I'll jump right to the ending. What a cliffhanger! I thought there's more so I keep on turning the page but what I read after is Acknowledgement. :( Seriously, I wonder what would happen to Ashley June? Maybe in book 2, Gene would try to go back and save her? Since she could last for a month in that cage. And I had my mouth wide-opened again when Fukuda reveals that the Scientist whose helping Sissy, Epap, David, Jacob and Ben - the hepers who live in the Dome - was Gene's father! He saw it in Epap's sketchbook, where the latter drew the scientist portrait. There are a lot of things Gene's father hadn't told him. There is this thing about the Ruler too. And it makes me wonder what the paparazzi said about Ashley June to Gene, the night of Gala. She's not what she's supposed to be or something? She's still keeping something. But I think her affection to Gene is genuine... OR... maybe not... It's really hard to speculate since there's a lot of things you could end up to.

I want the Book Two. NOW. Sadly, we all have to wait until January 29th, 2013 for the second book. A long wait! ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Like Hunger Games but more mystery. Just the start of an adventure, ( )
  WarriorLibrary | Aug 6, 2013 |
There used to be more of us.

Seventeen-year-old Gene has passed as a vampire for years, carefully following every rule, but now, just as he finds a girl worth fighting for, he is chosen to participate in the hunt for the last remaining humans among ruthless vampires who soon suspect his true nature.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,137,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible