The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Authors:Andrew Fukuda
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Egalley thanks to St. Martin's Press

What an utterly terrifying, repulsive and brilliant read! If you are hoping for another Kagawa or God forbid, Meyer... FORGET IT! In fact, GET AWAY from this book NOW. This is more in lieu with 30 Days of Night, I Am Legend and Priest.

That's right, you caught the gist.

Vampires here are an absolutely alien race of predators. They are fascinating and at the same time revolting. They don't have names, eat raw meat, don't laugh or show any emotions, don't sweat, can't swim if the water is higher than their necks, click and drip saliva to express their excitement or itch their wrists when someone tells them a funny joke.

In fact, humanity has been nearly extinct for more than a few generations. Remaining humans very much like rare animals are studied in Heper Institute, considered dumb and not being capable of any sort of intelligence because vamps can't get close enough to them to study. You see, they can't resist the smell of human. The taste of human meat and blood is considered such delicacy, it drives them mad, and all they want is to devour every last bit of it.

The vampire Ruler is losing his popularity and he decides to provide his "people" with a legendary entertainment, The Hunt. There is a country-wide lottery which selects ten lucky winners to join The Hunt which will exterminate the last humans.

Unfortunately, one of the hunters is Gene, who's been hiding his human nature all his life. The Lottery and consequent training for The Hunt threatens his ruse and survival. He only has few days to come up with a possible plan to escape the fate of the hunted or he will be devoured along with them.

Honestly, if I were Gene I would have offed myself a long time ago. How this boy had survived the incredible tension, the constant alienness, the raw meat diet, the incredible misery of his existence, I don't know.

The tension is palpable and building through the whole book until all is left of you is a raw tingling ball of nerves. There is a scene during the training when the team has to get used to the heper (human) smell, and they are tied to the columns while an old man walks among them. One of the hunters has a knife... He manages to get loose and so are some other hunters... By the time they are finished with the old man there is nothing left but a pile of old clothes. Gene has to witness all of it without being able to do anything. It chilled me to the bone.

The only big drawback of this book is the lack of explanations of what happened to people, how vampires came to be a dominant race and what is happening in the world as whole.

Overall, this is a breathtakingly terrifying thriller ending with a cliffhanger, leaving you desperate to know what would happen next. Recommended to anyone with strong stomachs and a healthy nervous system. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I was going to write this really long detailed review and nothing came to mind, all I wanted to do was try explain why the book was both thrilling and annoying. This book started of so good, I thought the idea behind it was such a unique one and I was hooked, I couldn't put it down. But even though it had been hook line and sinker from the start, I also started noticing little things wrong with the book.

The first, and maybe the most significant out of them all, is that even though Anfrew Fukuda goes through great effort to not only make this a unique vampire story and to build a world up around you, he left out one main fact. How the world actually came to being over ridden with vampires in the first place. Now I'm not talking like The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, over ridden. I'm talking about there not being hardly any humans at all, to the stage that even the vampires are having to substitute they meals. Not once was it explained and it really let what was a good book down because I was left thinking 'well, why?'

Secondly, and as important but not as much I guess, Gene went through all the trouble up masking his body odour and trying to looking like the vampires, stripping his face of emotion, but no matter how good a poker face you have your body does still react to things. Your heart beats faster for one and aren't vampire's suppose to have super hearing? so despite how well he covered up they would hear his heart beat, even if it wasn't beating fast. This has to be one of my other biggest issues with the book, my only theory is that because its been so long since they had 'a proper meal' some of their senses are some what less enhanced. Because its the only thing that would make sense. The vampires themselves were different though ,they scratch their wrists instead of laughing, have drool constantly dripping from their mouths when thinking about blood and flesh and maybe the weirdest of all armpit/elbow sex. So maybe the lack of super hearing was just added to the list. They also seem to be more in touch with their natural instincts than some vampires you read about these days, which is a bonus. Not every vampire can sparkle.

As far as the characters and everything else goes, I think it was rather good, a little on the predictable side, but it really did have me at the edge of my seat in anticipation. Gene wasn't always a likeable character though and he made such silly choices, some which I've read don't set them self right in the next book so I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm disappointed because this book could have been so much better. If it just explained things a little bit more and Gene was a tougher character. I wouldn't tell anyone not to read it, because like I said it still had it's good moments and despite everything it's worth a read. Maybe everything I disliked about the book will straighten itself out in the next two books, but I highly doubt that. Reading the summary for the The Prey doesn't fill me with the excitement I normally get from reading what's coming next, I was just left disappointed all over again ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Gene is a human living in a vampire's world. Surrounded by those who wish to devour him, he has learned how to hide his humaness to survive. When he is selected in a lottery to participate in a human hunt, Gene must use all of his skills at deception to stay alive. ( )
  jennifermarkus | Sep 9, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Brace yourselves, because this:

is a rage zombie… but whatever. This is exactly what I pictured when I thought of the vamps in The Hunt.

This was a bit of a wild ride and a nonstop one from beginning to end. If you’re able to ignore the huge plot holes like I did, this book can be really enjoyable. It’s hard to get bored when vamps are flying off the handle and behaving completely unpredictably. I was worried at first, because everyone compared this to The Hunger Games with vamps and I didn’t want a knockoff. Thankfully, the similarities were short-lived and The Hunt went in a different direction.

There were some issues. First off, the MC, Gene, was a complete a-hole. He and his “love interest” were gross. They made some appalling decisions and I didn’t like either of them at all. I hope they get eaten in book #2. Or redeem themselves, I guess.

There was also some awkwardness with the habits of the vampire community. Their gestures were weird and in particular, their romantic gestures were really weird.

Speaking of romance, I didn’t buy it. It wasn't exactly insta-love, but it was pretty close. It was a little too fast and a little too much for my liking. There is some old history between them, but not enough to justify how quickly things escalated. There was also an inclination towards a love triangle that I HOPE doesn’t happen, because BARF. Luckily, the book didn’t revolve too much around the romance, so I was able to stomach it.

Lastly, the water situation. So, these vamps don’t drink water, because they eat fresh meat and drink blood. A large portion of the book involves the MC searching for drinking water, since it’s not readily available. Why isn’t it readily available? Just because they don’t drink it, doesn’t mean they need no water at all. The vamps have been known to devour their victims. They even salivate and drool when they encounter a victim, so do they not ever need to wash their hands? Or faces? Are we to believe that magic automatically cleans them? Again, you really need to leave your questions at the door in order to enjoy this book.

It wasn’t all bad, though. I was able to forget about all these pesky world-building issues, because of the vamps. I like my vamps nasty, mean, and vicious – as they should be. The Hunt definitely had that going for it. It’s pretty graphic and the vamps were really creepy and relentless. There was no mercy. And they were kind of crazy, too, which just added to the scare factor. If that aspect of the book had been missing, I don’t know that I would have enjoyed it as much.

This book isn’t for everyone, but it worked for me. It was a really fast-paced and creepy mindless read. It's been a long time since I've read vampires that were quite like the ones in The Hunt.

I would not want to come face-to-face with any of those rage zombies bloodsuckers.

Somebody needs a bubble bath.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
There used to be more of us.

Seventeen-year-old Gene has passed as a vampire for years, carefully following every rule, but now, just as he finds a girl worth fighting for, he is chosen to participate in the hunt for the last remaining humans among ruthless vampires who soon suspect his true nature.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,847,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible