The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Authors:Andrew Fukuda
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Vampires and magical characters, Young Adult
Rating:***1/2
Tags:EW, fiction, young adult, vampires, Gene

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

This book is so, so very bad. I could not read another page after page 100. Not sure how I am going to get my assignment for this one done, but I will figure something out to avoid having to read one more page of this horrible book. I am pretty sure my IQ dropped by about 50 points just from what I read. Everything that everyone (including me) says is wrong with YA literature and why I don't make a practice of reading it. Ugh. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one in the trilogy to see what happens. It's an interesting concept and I had a hard time putting it down, it sucked me in from the first page. The night people that are called "people" or who we would call vampires, are the normal people, they work, go to school but at night. The humans are the "nepers" and are a very rare breed because if the people find one they immediately eat them until there is nothing left. Gene is a human living amongst the people. He goes to school like them but he has adapted to act like them even with fake fangs. Then the hunt happens where a select few will go on a hunt for a few "farmed" nepers and Gene is selected. The stuff he has to go through to hide his humanness from the people is really hard since he has no access to water or his shaver. The people have such sharp smell senses.

Andrew does a great job with description and sucking you into the story. You don't know how far in the future this is since the nepers don't really remember much about their ancestors so this has been going on for a while. This is a very good read and you won't want to put it down. I was actually at work thinking about the story trying to will the hours to go faster so I could get home and read the rest of the story. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Meh. The concept for this story was interesting, but also far-fetched with a lot of holes I wanted filled. The main character, Gene, was very unlikable. Maybe it was because for him to live and survive among vampires he had to act like them. Gene never learned what it was like to have human feelings. He was very selfish, but again I think this was because as a survivor the only person he cared about was himself. He developed a relationship with Ashley June, but I didn't like her either. The group of "hepers" led by Sissy that the vampires were going to hunt were the most likable characters, but were not in the book much. Overall, it had a good cliffhanger ending, but the story dragged and I almost wished Gene would just get devoured by a vampire. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
There used to be more of us.

Seventeen-year-old Gene has passed as a vampire for years, carefully following every rule, but now, just as he finds a girl worth fighting for, he is chosen to participate in the hunt for the last remaining humans among ruthless vampires who soon suspect his true nature.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,366,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible