The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Collections:2013 Archive
Rating:*****
Tags:Vampires, Science Fiction, Kim Jones, 2013

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Enjoyed the series very much. Gene is a human trying to live undetected in a world of vampires. Action packed all the way. ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 29, 2014 |
This is one strange vampire-ish book. I'm not against them vampires, since being introduced to Edward Cullen many moons ago, but writing about night owls, bats, or vampires and the likes (zombies, too!), would require more creative brain work. Those people who can manipulate readers to believe an alternative world where vampires or zombies rule the day (or night!) have my respect, indeed..

The Hunt is one of those survival story not unlike Hunger Games at heart, but with a boy as the lead (so refreshing!) and some adult supervision, albeit in the form of non-human creatures. In Gene's world, vampire-like creatures do rule the night. There's a hint that it wasn't used to be like that, but after his dad got 'bitten' (which wasn't explained too clearly, so I'm still not sure whatever happened to his dad) and had to leave their house, Gene has to fend for himself in this somewhat post-apocalyptic world. A lot of precautions and rituals have to be taken in order to avoid his 'heper' status being known, or else his high school classmates would devour him in seconds.

I agree with a lot of the reviews that there are too many holes in the story, but somehow you kinda sweep them under the rug because the thrill of the hunt. The idea of a human forced to disguise himself as another creature and being handpicked to play in a hunting game (just like Hunger Games all over gain) where these creatures have to hunt for human, is fascinating. I don't want to list common-sense deviation that Gene has to overcome and the book easily neglect to explain, it's like believing someone as handsome as Edward Cullen can be 127 and marry a 20-y.o. maiden. That's the power of a story. If the author can convince me to read his or her book without stopping for a bag of Doritos, then the book is good enough for me.. ( )
  pwlifter300 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Contains some unmarked spoilers.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I just finished this book and all I could do was sigh deeply. I feel like there's something heavy in my chest. >_
You know, Andrew Fukuda didn't say what this 'people' - for the lack of better or right word - are called. They are not exactly vampires as one might think because of the blood sucking or whatnot. And they are certainly not zombies just because they eat flesh. So what to call them? Predators? Yeah, maybe. Okay, I'll just use that word.

This book made my mouth opened a lot of times. Whether in awe or in disgust. I actually wanted to heave when the descriptions became too... descriptive for my own good. Heper or humans were treated as a cattle, categorized as a thing, they were called 'it'. And since these predators are flesh eating people, it's too gross when you imagine they were eating raw meat with blood dripping down their chins. Or they are drinking blood like water. Seriously, how could Gene stomach that? Well, I guess, if you really want to survive, you'll do everything even if it means you're eating raw things with blood. *yuck.*

I keep expecting Gene - you'll know he's name after reading 50% of the book, I know, too damn long for a name to arrive but that's necessary - to be eaten *shudders* by the predators lots of time. I mean, he's trying to blend in, okay, so he really blended in the pack of predators. He did what his father said to him.

His father told him lots of things on how to survive this world. How to blend in good and so that he'll not be detected. He needed to act, show his poker face, not do unnecessary things. Don't fall in love with one of them. Keep to yourself. And Never Forget Who You Are.

When he got chosen in The Heper Lottery - btw, Heper means human - I somehow doubt it's by pure luck. I actually thought that whatever was in the box (is it a box? Can't remember. :D) was Gene's assigned number. That's what my mind told me when they were drawing the numbers. I know they are specifically chosen. And somehow, I have a feeling the Ashley June is also a human.

I was frustrated when Gene didn't went to the Dome immediately, where the hepers are located, when he was already smelly the first day. I mean, didn't he thought of that as soon as he started to smell? The other hunters would be sleeping cause the sun was up and he'll be the only one who's awake and the dome would be down. There's a lake or river in there and he could use that to take a bath and drink water. But he went after 2 nights smelling like a heper as he is.

I'll jump right to the ending. What a cliffhanger! I thought there's more so I keep on turning the page but what I read after is Acknowledgement. :( Seriously, I wonder what would happen to Ashley June? Maybe in book 2, Gene would try to go back and save her? Since she could last for a month in that cage. And I had my mouth wide-opened again when Fukuda reveals that the Scientist whose helping Sissy, Epap, David, Jacob and Ben - the hepers who live in the Dome - was Gene's father! He saw it in Epap's sketchbook, where the latter drew the scientist portrait. There are a lot of things Gene's father hadn't told him. There is this thing about the Ruler too. And it makes me wonder what the paparazzi said about Ashley June to Gene, the night of Gala. She's not what she's supposed to be or something? She's still keeping something. But I think her affection to Gene is genuine... OR... maybe not... It's really hard to speculate since there's a lot of things you could end up to.

I want the Book Two. NOW. Sadly, we all have to wait until January 29th, 2013 for the second book. A long wait! ( )
  lexiechan | Sep 10, 2013 |
Like Hunger Games but more mystery. Just the start of an adventure, ( )
  WarriorLibrary | Aug 6, 2013 |
There's something not right with the folks in Gene's community. While like other people, they go to school, do their homework and goof around, they also have this irksome habit of scratching their wrists, popping their necks, mating with their elbows and of course a little thing that involves eating humans.

Vampires make up the vast majority of the living..er nonliving society in The Hunt. Almost all the humans have become extinct and the vampires live off animal blood and raw meat, forever squelching the blood thirst that with even the mention of a human makes them frenzy with desire. Most carry on just like normal humans would, they attend school, eat three meals a day, have jobs and go home to sleep...upside down hanging from the ceiling during the daylight hours. Needless to say, these vampires are scary, their evil and have no shred of human emotion. Not one of them would save you, date you or even care if you were a child....the objective is to eat humans and its a violent bloody death, granted while most of the humans have been eaten, one is always on the look out for a survivor.

Gene, a human living among the vampires was trained by his father and knows how to blend in. His mind has been so trained to think, feel and pretend vampire actions, that he flies easily under the radar. Obviously there are some dangerous and scary close calls, but our smart, loner protagonist fools them all night in, night out. Things become a challenge however when the government decides to announce they are holding captive humans awaiting a much overdo game called The Hunt, where a special selected group of teens from the school will get to participate in hunting down the released humans and having a glorious feast. Gene along with a few others get their numbers pulled and its off to training and heper hunting. What the vampires don't know is that the vampire game masters have upped the ante and have trained the humans with weapons, good nutrition and survival skills. They don't just want a feeding frenzy, they want sport, fun and gruesome murders.

Once the group gets to the training center, things really start looking bleak for our hero Gene. There is no source of water and dehydration and body odor kick in faster than he could imagine. Other vampires even though they see the Dome and know humans, aka the hepers are in it, cant stop picking up the smell of a fresh human. Crazy with lust and the frenzy that begs to take over them, they don't realize the smell is coming from their own classmate and each day that Gene doesn't find a source to clean himself brings him that much closer to discovery. The Hunt may start sooner then they all realize and how can one boy stand up to them all?

This hunt, this world of the truly grotesque, the lost in all its evilness of fleshy desires, was truly a terrifying, suspenseful ride. I cringed at the disgusting parts, I got nervous at the intense parts, I was sad in the lonely parts, I was swoony during the romantic parts {minis elbow closet} and I was shocked at the ending. The pace kept me alert and while I thought I had everything figured out, things were still a surprise once surfaced.

Fukuda's writing was a thrilling, nonstop ride that I couldn't set down. Compared to his debut Crossing, this author proves again that he has beautiful talent to make you love an outsider. From the suspenseful plot to the killer cliffhanger, The Hunt for sure is my favorite vampire novel this year. ( )
  Tinasbookreviews | Aug 1, 2013 |
There used to be more of us.

Seventeen-year-old Gene has passed as a vampire for years, carefully following every rule, but now, just as he finds a girl worth fighting for, he is chosen to participate in the hunt for the last remaining humans among ruthless vampires who soon suspect his true nature.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible