The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Collections:2013 Archive
Rating:*****
Tags:Vampires, Science Fiction, Kim Jones, 2013

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

I was going to write this really long detailed review and nothing came to mind, all I wanted to do was try explain why the book was both thrilling and annoying. This book started of so good, I thought the idea behind it was such a unique one and I was hooked, I couldn't put it down. But even though it had been hook line and sinker from the start, I also started noticing little things wrong with the book.

The first, and maybe the most significant out of them all, is that even though Anfrew Fukuda goes through great effort to not only make this a unique vampire story and to build a world up around you, he left out one main fact. How the world actually came to being over ridden with vampires in the first place. Now I'm not talking like The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, over ridden. I'm talking about there not being hardly any humans at all, to the stage that even the vampires are having to substitute they meals. Not once was it explained and it really let what was a good book down because I was left thinking 'well, why?'

Secondly, and as important but not as much I guess, Gene went through all the trouble up masking his body odour and trying to looking like the vampires, stripping his face of emotion, but no matter how good a poker face you have your body does still react to things. Your heart beats faster for one and aren't vampire's suppose to have super hearing? so despite how well he covered up they would hear his heart beat, even if it wasn't beating fast. This has to be one of my other biggest issues with the book, my only theory is that because its been so long since they had 'a proper meal' some of their senses are some what less enhanced. Because its the only thing that would make sense. The vampires themselves were different though ,they scratch their wrists instead of laughing, have drool constantly dripping from their mouths when thinking about blood and flesh and maybe the weirdest of all armpit/elbow sex. So maybe the lack of super hearing was just added to the list. They also seem to be more in touch with their natural instincts than some vampires you read about these days, which is a bonus. Not every vampire can sparkle.

As far as the characters and everything else goes, I think it was rather good, a little on the predictable side, but it really did have me at the edge of my seat in anticipation. Gene wasn't always a likeable character though and he made such silly choices, some which I've read don't set them self right in the next book so I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm disappointed because this book could have been so much better. If it just explained things a little bit more and Gene was a tougher character. I wouldn't tell anyone not to read it, because like I said it still had it's good moments and despite everything it's worth a read. Maybe everything I disliked about the book will straighten itself out in the next two books, but I highly doubt that. Reading the summary for the The Prey doesn't fill me with the excitement I normally get from reading what's coming next, I was just left disappointed all over again ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Gene is a human living in a vampire's world. Surrounded by those who wish to devour him, he has learned how to hide his humaness to survive. When he is selected in a lottery to participate in a human hunt, Gene must use all of his skills at deception to stay alive. ( )
  jennifermarkus | Sep 9, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Brace yourselves, because this:

is a rage zombie… but whatever. This is exactly what I pictured when I thought of the vamps in The Hunt.

This was a bit of a wild ride and a nonstop one from beginning to end. If you’re able to ignore the huge plot holes like I did, this book can be really enjoyable. It’s hard to get bored when vamps are flying off the handle and behaving completely unpredictably. I was worried at first, because everyone compared this to The Hunger Games with vamps and I didn’t want a knockoff. Thankfully, the similarities were short-lived and The Hunt went in a different direction.

There were some issues. First off, the MC, Gene, was a complete a-hole. He and his “love interest” were gross. They made some appalling decisions and I didn’t like either of them at all. I hope they get eaten in book #2. Or redeem themselves, I guess.

There was also some awkwardness with the habits of the vampire community. Their gestures were weird and in particular, their romantic gestures were really weird.

Speaking of romance, I didn’t buy it. It wasn't exactly insta-love, but it was pretty close. It was a little too fast and a little too much for my liking. There is some old history between them, but not enough to justify how quickly things escalated. There was also an inclination towards a love triangle that I HOPE doesn’t happen, because BARF. Luckily, the book didn’t revolve too much around the romance, so I was able to stomach it.

Lastly, the water situation. So, these vamps don’t drink water, because they eat fresh meat and drink blood. A large portion of the book involves the MC searching for drinking water, since it’s not readily available. Why isn’t it readily available? Just because they don’t drink it, doesn’t mean they need no water at all. The vamps have been known to devour their victims. They even salivate and drool when they encounter a victim, so do they not ever need to wash their hands? Or faces? Are we to believe that magic automatically cleans them? Again, you really need to leave your questions at the door in order to enjoy this book.

It wasn’t all bad, though. I was able to forget about all these pesky world-building issues, because of the vamps. I like my vamps nasty, mean, and vicious – as they should be. The Hunt definitely had that going for it. It’s pretty graphic and the vamps were really creepy and relentless. There was no mercy. And they were kind of crazy, too, which just added to the scare factor. If that aspect of the book had been missing, I don’t know that I would have enjoyed it as much.

This book isn’t for everyone, but it worked for me. It was a really fast-paced and creepy mindless read. It's been a long time since I've read vampires that were quite like the ones in The Hunt.

I would not want to come face-to-face with any of those rage zombies bloodsuckers.

Somebody needs a bubble bath.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Enjoyed the series very much. Gene is a human trying to live undetected in a world of vampires. Action packed all the way. ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 29, 2014 |
This is one strange vampire-ish book. I'm not against them vampires, since being introduced to Edward Cullen many moons ago, but writing about night owls, bats, or vampires and the likes (zombies, too!), would require more creative brain work. Those people who can manipulate readers to believe an alternative world where vampires or zombies rule the day (or night!) have my respect, indeed..

The Hunt is one of those survival story not unlike Hunger Games at heart, but with a boy as the lead (so refreshing!) and some adult supervision, albeit in the form of non-human creatures. In Gene's world, vampire-like creatures do rule the night. There's a hint that it wasn't used to be like that, but after his dad got 'bitten' (which wasn't explained too clearly, so I'm still not sure whatever happened to his dad) and had to leave their house, Gene has to fend for himself in this somewhat post-apocalyptic world. A lot of precautions and rituals have to be taken in order to avoid his 'heper' status being known, or else his high school classmates would devour him in seconds.

I agree with a lot of the reviews that there are too many holes in the story, but somehow you kinda sweep them under the rug because the thrill of the hunt. The idea of a human forced to disguise himself as another creature and being handpicked to play in a hunting game (just like Hunger Games all over gain) where these creatures have to hunt for human, is fascinating. I don't want to list common-sense deviation that Gene has to overcome and the book easily neglect to explain, it's like believing someone as handsome as Edward Cullen can be 127 and marry a 20-y.o. maiden. That's the power of a story. If the author can convince me to read his or her book without stopping for a bag of Doritos, then the book is good enough for me.. ( )
  pwlifter300 | Feb 13, 2014 |
There used to be more of us.

Seventeen-year-old Gene has passed as a vampire for years, carefully following every rule, but now, just as he finds a girl worth fighting for, he is chosen to participate in the hunt for the last remaining humans among ruthless vampires who soon suspect his true nature.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,395,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible