The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Collections:2013 Archive
Rating:*****
Tags:Vampires, Science Fiction, Kim Jones, 2013

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

Definitely one of the most unique story lines I've read. As a lover of all things vampire, I can confidently say this book is a good read!

For my review check out my blog
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
4.5 stars
You can see this review and others like it on my blog acascadeofbooks.blogspot.com
I bought this book from The Book People on a whim, after reading the description, even though I had never heard of it before. I love that moment, when you find a little known book that turns out to be an absolute cracker! This definitely happened to me with The Hunt.

The plot to this novel revolves around a boy called Gene, who is a human trying to blend in to a world overrun by vampires. Not your Twilight sparkly vampires but your blood-sucking evil vampires!! Suddenly he finds himself a winner of a once in a lifetime chance to hunt the last remaining humans with a small group of vampires.

The plot is very fast paced, I was so nervous for Gene the whole way through the novel, and the tension the author creates when Gene is pretending to be human made me literally sweat with nerves myself!

The only thing that stopped this novel from getting 5 stars was the ending, it didn't really seem to have an ending at all. It didn't have a cliffhanger either, it just sort-of ended, rather abruptly.

The main character in this novel is Gene, and the story is told from his point of view. It's rare (for me anyway) to find a YA novel that's narrated by a male protagonist, but I really enjoy them! Gene was clever to survive among the vampires for so long, he was also brave and caring.

Ashley June is the "love interest" in this novel and I really liked her character as well. She begins the novel as quite snooty and dislikeable, but her development throughout the book meant by the end of the novel I had warmed to her considerably.

The other minor characters in the book were pretty good, the diverse group that were the other contestants in the hunt and the humans that they were hunting.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel, and I have the second book, which I'm really looking forward to reading!
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
This book is so, so very bad. I could not read another page after page 100. Not sure how I am going to get my assignment for this one done, but I will figure something out to avoid having to read one more page of this horrible book. I am pretty sure my IQ dropped by about 50 points just from what I read. Everything that everyone (including me) says is wrong with YA literature and why I don't make a practice of reading it. Ugh. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one in the trilogy to see what happens. It's an interesting concept and I had a hard time putting it down, it sucked me in from the first page. The night people that are called "people" or who we would call vampires, are the normal people, they work, go to school but at night. The humans are the "nepers" and are a very rare breed because if the people find one they immediately eat them until there is nothing left. Gene is a human living amongst the people. He goes to school like them but he has adapted to act like them even with fake fangs. Then the hunt happens where a select few will go on a hunt for a few "farmed" nepers and Gene is selected. The stuff he has to go through to hide his humanness from the people is really hard since he has no access to water or his shaver. The people have such sharp smell senses.

Andrew does a great job with description and sucking you into the story. You don't know how far in the future this is since the nepers don't really remember much about their ancestors so this has been going on for a while. This is a very good read and you won't want to put it down. I was actually at work thinking about the story trying to will the hours to go faster so I could get home and read the rest of the story. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Meh. The concept for this story was interesting, but also far-fetched with a lot of holes I wanted filled. The main character, Gene, was very unlikable. Maybe it was because for him to live and survive among vampires he had to act like them. Gene never learned what it was like to have human feelings. He was very selfish, but again I think this was because as a survivor the only person he cared about was himself. He developed a relationship with Ashley June, but I didn't like her either. The group of "hepers" led by Sissy that the vampires were going to hunt were the most likable characters, but were not in the book much. Overall, it had a good cliffhanger ending, but the story dragged and I almost wished Gene would just get devoured by a vampire. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
There used to be more of us.

Seventeen-year-old Gene has passed as a vampire for years, carefully following every rule, but now, just as he finds a girl worth fighting for, he is chosen to participate in the hunt for the last remaining humans among ruthless vampires who soon suspect his true nature.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,719,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible