The Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman

The Blood Sugar Solution (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Mark Hyman

Member:Mausey
Title:The Blood Sugar Solution
Authors:Mark Hyman
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2012), Paperback
Rating:****1/2

The Blood Sugar Solution: The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Feeling Great Now! by Mark Hyman (2012)

This book gives the reader good directions for changing their habits. Possibly a little too complex for a beginner and has a long list of supplements that might overwhelm the person just learning about their role in creating their blood sugar problems. ( )
1 vote BJAppelgren | Aug 27, 2012 |
Review:

According to Dr. Mark Hyman, Diabesity (diabetes + obesity) occurs when mild to severe cases of diabetes / insulin resistance are triggered by unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise, and obesity; three out of four Americans are obese/overweight, and one out of two Americans is prediabetic or diabetic. These numbers should scare people, but the problem continues to grow exponentially, increasing along with America's waistline. I admit, I am far from being "in-shape" - I don't go out of my way to do thirty minutes of exercise a day, I indulge in the occasional calorie-filled treat, and although diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia, and Alzheimer's run rampant throughout my family history, I often ignore my better judgement's call to be more proactive. That being said, this book could not have come to me at a better time. At fist glance this book does seem imposing - 448 pages with leafy greens on the cover - ugh... but once I started reading, I was intrigued by the overall set-up and non-mechanical tone. The author does an excellent job setting the stage for the reader with an introduction concerning "the American diet" as well as the science behind it. I really enjoyed the more science-based sections, but I do think that they were more drawn out than they should have been, especially since not everyone has a science background. The self-diagnosing quizzes were kind of fun, and I liked how they solidified Hyman's main points and allowed me to delve deeper into my own health issues; though they did seem to get less interesting by quiz eleven. Some of the material was typical of modern diet books, but it was presented differently than most. The flow of the entire plan was nice, allowing for some "stretch", even though there were some aspects of the plan that required more energy, (and funds). By the time I made it through the book, I had a whole new grasp on a healthy relationship with food and exercise; one that wouldn't have me groaning about sit-ups and carrot sticks. I really liked the addition of the two weeks of recipes and the well-planned diet/exercise regimen, which I have started and hope to continue throughout the year. Starting a new "diet" can be tough, and motivation can deplete pretty quickly, but Mark Hyman makes sure that his readers feel supported. There are several websites, videos, chat-rooms, newsletters, and other forms of support detailed in the book that make it easier to stay on track. The author genuinely cares about the readers' health, and his knowledge of the subject is evident, but not perceived as overly superior. Very insightful and disciplined plan, full of strategies to reduce your health risks - and your waistline.

Rating: On the Run (4.5/5)

*** I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
1 vote Allizabeth | Aug 13, 2012 |
Diabesity? What is that and what does that mean for you? Are we eating our way to sickness?

Diabesity is the newest term that combines diabetes and obesity and shows the new trend the world is heading to regarding our eating habits and lifestyle choices that will literally be killing us. This term refers to the continuum of health problems ranging from mild insulin resistance and overweight to obesity and diabetes, is the single biggest global threat of our time. It is the leading causes of heart disease, dementia, cancer, and premature death in the world and is almost entirely caused by environmental and lifestyle factors. This means that is is almost 100 percent preventable and curable. The interesting fact is that in the year 2020, 1 in 2 American's affected, 90 percent of who will not be diagnosed.

Gaining just 11-16 pounds doubles the risk of type 2 diabetes, while gaining 17-24 pounds triples the risk. We are becoming the United States of Diabetes. But there is great news, there is a solution available, one that is accessible and scalable, one that is available to everyone and prevents, treats, and reverses diabesity at a fraction of the cost. The book, Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman, M.D., provides the solution for individuals, communities, and nations and each of us has the power to transform this problem.

In this book, Dr. Hyman introduces the reader to understanding the new epidemic across the globe, and why our current approaches to the problem don't work. He dispels the medical myths that prevent us from effectively addressing the epidemic such as type 2 diabetes is not reversible. He explores new research on the biology of food addiction and why food cravings and overeating are not your fault. He explores how Big Food, Big Farming and Big Pharma fuel the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and chronic disease across the blog and explains what we collectively can do about it.

He teaches you the Seven Steps to Treating Diabesity by finding out which problems you have through quizzes and personalizing your approach toward healing. You will also learn how to prepare your mind, body and kitchen for the six week program which is a practical six-step, six-week program you can do on your own or with your health care provider. He also discusses the environmental toxins we expose our bodies to and how to reduce our exposure.

I received The Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman, M.D. compliments of B & B Media Group for my honest review. I've always been a huge believer in natural foods and eliminating the exposure to environmental toxins and ingredients because I believe we are eating our way to sickness if we don't. This is a great resource to formulate a plan to get healthy, learn what is making you sick and take control of your health again. I will plan on using the information in this book to help me and my family make smarter choices when it comes to eating, cleaning and staying fit in order to live longer lives. I would easily rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars and think it's a perfect resource for anyone looking to get back to a healthier version of you! ( )
1 vote ReviewsFromTheHeart | Jun 10, 2012 |
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

The title of this book is a bit misleading since it covers more than just blood sugar. Once you get through the introduction and history of *diabesity* which runs about 70 pages, the information about eating and exercise are pretty spot on. My last two blood tests showed that my glucose levels were elevated and I needed to do something to avoid my own family history of diabetes. I am not overweight but I really wasn't eating properly. The book goes into detail about which foods actually reduce your blood sugar and relieve other problems like inflammation, head aches and fatigue. Even if you don't have issues with blood sugar, this book has great information just about living healthy.

So far, I have reduced my sugar count just by eating better food and exercise, so there really isn't much magic as far as accomplishing that. This book provides an excellent guide if you don't have access or the means to have clinical support in getting healthy. The plan is really simple and most of the foods are readily available. There is a handy recipe guide in the back with an index to help you find them easily. I can't tell you how many books like this don't include that simple thing. One thing I haven't read in a book like this is about chemical sweeteners, which it turns out can be pretty evil. I still crave my one diet soda a day, but maybe in the future I can start replacing it with a healthier drink like green tea. Overall, this is a great book to get started with if you want to change your life and make a committment to healthier living. ( )
1 vote MaryinHB | Mar 28, 2012 |
A great resource and wealth of information for anyone whatever their lifestyle.

First and foremost, don't let the title of this book fool you. You don't need to be a diabetic to benefit from the information Dr. Hyman provides in this book. Anyone who is looking to change their unhealthy eating habits will benefit from reading The Blood Sugar Solution.

Not sure if you have unhealthy eating habits? I can promise you will be surprised by all the eye opening information in this book. I thought I already knew everything there was to know about sustaining a healthy lifestyle, so I was really shocked by a lot of the information in this book.

This book was certainly an eye opening experience. Reading the chapter on inflammation alone, brought to mind certain family members and friends that would really benefit from knowing this information. I learned many things in this book that I have implemented in my own life which are helping me feel and look better.

I recommend this book to anyone, and not just those trying to lose weight. This book will change the way you look at your food. It gives you the tools and advice that are life changing. With this same information, Dr. Hyman has helped hundreds of people reverse their illness and get off of medication for good. It sounds hard to believe but Dr Hyman is a medical prodigy and one of just a few doctors in the medical field right now who are not following the norm and are actually out to truly help people get off of prescription drugs by implementing a system that truly works.
1 vote autumnblues | Mar 25, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031612737X, Hardcover)

In THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION, Dr. Mark Hyman reveals that the secret solution to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels. Dr. Hyman describes the seven keys to achieving wellness-nutrition, hormones, inflammation, digestion, detoxification, energy metabolism, and a calm mind-and explains his revolutionary six-week healthy-living program. With advice on diet, green living, supplements and medication, exercise, and personalizing the plan for optimal results, the book also teaches readers how to maintain lifelong health. Groundbreaking and timely, THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION is the fastest way to lose weight, prevent disease, and feel better than ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:35 -0400)

Dr. Hyman reveals that the secret solution to losing weight and preventing not just diabetes but also heart disease, stroke, dementia, and cancer is balanced insulin levels. Here he describes the seven keys to achieving wellness and explains his revolutionary six-week healthy-living program.… (more)

305 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible