Wo Milch und Honig fließen by Grace McCleen

Wo Milch und Honig fließen (edition 2013)

by Grace McCleen, Barbara Heller (Übersetzer)

Title:Wo Milch und Honig fließen
Authors:Grace McCleen
Other authors:Barbara Heller (Übersetzer)
Info:Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt (2013), Gebundene Ausgabe, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Sekte, Alleinerziehende

The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen (Author)

English (46)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (49)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This isn't holding my attention, so I'm DNF'ing after about 40 pages. I think this is another case of it's me, not the book -- I've been DNF'ing quite a bit lately and not much has been holding my attention. The child narrator just wasn't working for me in this. ( )
  crazylilcuban | May 15, 2015 |
I kind of enjoyed this book but I did find it a little confusing.
Hard to determine the time it was set in, or the place early on in the book. ( )
  janeyhoho | Jul 2, 2014 |
Judith is ten years old and she knows that she won’t get much older. For soon Harmagedon will come and the world will come to an end. She’s actually kind of looking forward to that. Not just because she knows she’ll get to meet her mum, she who was so strong in faith she rather died than accepted blood transfusions when Judith was born. Not just because she secretly knows her dad doesn’t love her. But also because she has no friends her own age, and because the kids at school are horrid and brutal, and she can’t stop herself from wishing them ill.

Judith’s only toy is the intricate model landscape she’s building from junk in her room. And one day, after a sermon about miacles, she covers it in cotton and white paper and shaving foam, wishing for a snow storm so she won’t havet o go to school. It works. As does her next attempt, and her next. God has clearly selected her as his tool. But the consequences of miracles are hard to predict, Judith’s enemies don’t back down easily. And with her father being among the few who breaks the strike at the factory, the little family becomes the target of real terror.

Grippiing, moving and suspenseful, this is a rough read at times. The world seen through the lonely, indoctrinated eyes of Judith is difficult and unjust, and her meekness is a shaky defence indeed. The blend of reality seen through the eyes of a child not quite aware of how shitty her circumstances are, and a pinch of something that might be magic, reminds me of ”The earth hums in B flat”, especially with the welch setting.

Right up until the last fifty or so pages, I’m biting nails and wiping tears. The conclusion seems a little stressed and commodified though, and is my only little beef with this fine debut. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Apr 23, 2014 |
this is told in the voice of one of the most screwed up 10 year olds I can imagine. Judith & her father are what i would think of as Jehovah's Witnesses and belong to a church that seems to sit somewhere in the Welsh valleys. I have in my head that this is set sometimes in the early 80s, a time of great social unrest and industrial disputes.
Judith has taken the teachings of Revelation so deep into her being that she has built a world on the floor of her room, which she calls the land of decoration, after the land that will exist after Armageddon has come & gone & the righteous are left. It's made of scraps of goodness knows what and she tells stories in this world. She is (perhaps unsurprisingly) bullied at school, mainly by Neil Lewis, whose father also has a conflicted relationship with Judith's father at work.
Then one day Judith hears a preacher that opens her mind even further. She begins to wish that it would snow (in October) so that she didn't have to go to school, so she makes snow for her world - and it duly snows. At which point this book takes a really quite dark turn. Judith starts to hear a voice in her head - that of God and telling her she's capable of performing miracles by changing things in her world. If I say that the end of the book has this god character encouraging Judith to commit suicide in order to save her father i think you might agree that there is a twisted mind at work here.
I'm not in favour of organised religion, and I think this might just be a very good argument against it, Judith is a very mixed up child and her father seems in serious need of some counselling at the very least. I was left very angry by the people in this book that should have been taking care of Judith, and had clearly spent most of her childhood not doing so. ( )
  Helenliz | Oct 14, 2013 |
The Land of Decoration 4/5

I thought this book was fantastic. Judith is such a strong character and you desperately want things to work out for her. Her trials and tribulations feel so real and the author has raised lots of things religion wise that i found quite thought provoking. Its a real down wards spiral and i found really quite sad but a really good read. Only thing i would say is that the boys who torment Judith seem to do things I would never expect a 10 year old to know let alone do so its a bit hard to believe some of the things or maybe i too am sadly as naive as poor Judith. I hope 10 year olds dont do those things in the real world though! ( )
1 vote shelley.s | Jun 17, 2013 |

McCleen, GraceAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scholten, TheoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wammen, JulianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is what the Sovereign Lord said to me: "In the day that I chose the nation of Israel I also lifted my hand in an oath to their seed, to make myself known to them in the land of captivity. Yes, I lifted my hand in an oath and I said: 'I am the Lord, your God.' In that day I swore to them I would bring them forth from the land of captivity to a land that I searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey: it was the decoration of all the lands."
—Ezekiel 20:5–6
To the angel
In the beginning there was an empty room, a little bit of space, a little bit of light, a little bit of time.

Ten-year-old Judith McPherson sees the world with the clear eyes of faith. Other students persecute her for her differences. To escape, Judith builds a Land of Decoration, a model in miniature of the Promised Land. When her father's factory job is threated by a strike and the taunting of school slips into dangerous territory, they threaten the very foundations of Judith's world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,694,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible